10 speed Transmission Hot - Please help

Hey all,

Looking for some input on my truck. It's a 2022 Sierra 5.3 with the 10 speed transmission. It has about 3000KM (around 2000 miles) on it. When I was towing my trailer the other weekend (about 5000lbs) the transmission got to 257F (125C) within about an hour of towing. I pulled over to let the transmission cool, because it continuously was rising. I was not working the truck very hard at all, allowing it to slow on the hills, etc. The ambient temperature was about 80F. 

I took it to the dealer, and they told me this is completely normal for these trucks, and that it didn't set a code. I got them to put it in writing, but I really don't want to cause additional damage. I've never owned a truck that allowed the transmission to get this hot. 

Is there anyone that has some specific information on this? I read the TSB about the twisted cooler line, but my dealer didn't even consider it an option. 

Would love some help with this or at least some comparisons in terms of transmission temperatures, options, etc. 

Arthur

Did you have in tow/haul mode? This will lockout the torque converter and let your transmission hold gears longer as it wont shift as much which builds heat. I notice a difference in trans temps when I used it versus not using it, tow/haul mode dropped the temps cause the trans is not working as hard in tow/haul mode with all the shifting when it's not in the tow/haul mode.

Edited by Silverado4x4

1 hour ago, Silverado4x4 said:

Did you have in tow/haul mode? This will lockout the torque converter and let your transmission hold gears longer as it wont shift as much which builds heat. I notice a difference in trans temps when I used it versus not using it, tow/haul mode dropped the temps cause the trans is not working as hard in tow/haul mode with all the shifting when it's not in the tow/haul mode.

Yes I did. Good thought though!

3 hours ago, ArthurW said:

Hey all,

Looking for some input on my truck. It's a 2022 Sierra 5.3 with the 10 speed transmission. It has about 3000KM (around 2000 miles) on it. When I was towing my trailer the other weekend (about 5000lbs) the transmission got to 257F (125C) within about an hour of towing. I pulled over to let the transmission cool, because it continuously was rising. I was not working the truck very hard at all, allowing it to slow on the hills, etc. The ambient temperature was about 80F. 

I took it to the dealer, and they told me this is completely normal for these trucks, and that it didn't set a code. I got them to put it in writing, but I really don't want to cause additional damage. I've never owned a truck that allowed the transmission to get this hot. 

Is there anyone that has some specific information on this? I read the TSB about the twisted cooler line, but my dealer didn't even consider it an option. 

Would love some help with this or at least some comparisons in terms of transmission temperatures, options, etc. 

Arthur

What's the elevation near you?  Lots of hills?

https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Lasergrip-774-Non-contact-Thermometer/dp/B00837ZGRY?th=1

OP,

I've towed my 5K# boat over Montana mountain passes and never came anywhere near 257F in trans temp.

Definitely not normal. I seem to remember being around 210F.

It could be something as simple as a faulty temp sensor. Or it could be something major?

This is what I would do. If your have an IR temp sensor (see the link above for an example if you aren't sure what I'm talking about) take it with you when you tow again. Shoot the transmission pan and see what temp you see. If it's truly ~257F then I'd say another trip to the dealer may be in order.

• Like 2

On 9/15/2023 at 3:14 PM, SVG said:

https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Lasergrip-774-Non-contact-Thermometer/dp/B00837ZGRY?th=1

OP,

I've towed my 5K# boat over Montana mountain passes and never came anywhere near 257F in trans temp.

Definitely not normal. I seem to remember being around 210F.

It could be something as simple as a faulty temp sensor. Or it could be something major?

This is what I would do. If your have an IR temp sensor (see the link above for an example if you aren't sure what I'm talking about) take it with you when you tow again. Shoot the transmission pan and see what temp you see. If it's truly ~257F then I'd say another trip to the dealer may be in order.

Forgot my password so I quickly logged in with google. I totally agree. Just annoyed that my dealership didn't even consider my issue. I do have an IR sensor, and will definitely take some temperatures next weekend when I'm running the camper up the road again. Yesterday while pulling my 3000lb utility trailer it got up to 205 after about 25 minutes, and was continuing to go up but I got home so it stopped. I left it idling in the yard for a little while because the fans were running pretty hard on the front of the truck, it took over an hour to drop to 195 (fans were still running).

On 9/15/2023 at 1:55 PM, newdude said:

What's the elevation near you?  Lots of hills?

Ah, we're probably 100M above sea level or so here? I mean there were certainly some hills along the highway, but nothing crazy by any means.

1 hour ago, ArtWi said:

Forgot my password so I quickly logged in with google. I totally agree. Just annoyed that my dealership didn't even consider my issue. I do have an IR sensor, and will definitely take some temperatures next weekend when I'm running the camper up the road again. Yesterday while pulling my 3000lb utility trailer it got up to 205 after about 25 minutes, and was continuing to go up but I got home so it stopped. I left it idling in the yard for a little while because the fans were running pretty hard on the front of the truck, it took over an hour to drop to 195 (fans were still running).

Ah, we're probably 100M above sea level or so here? I mean there were certainly some hills along the highway, but nothing crazy by any means.

Gotcha so nothing like Colorado or anything that high.

I have to wonder if you've got either a twisted transmission cooler line or a defective thermal bypass valve.  I do recall a bulletin for the twisted lines and high temps so could be that.

TBV opens at 145F on the 10 speeds.  Even then during towing I don't think you should have seen anything much past 210F at its worst.   

1 hour ago, newdude said:

Gotcha so nothing like Colorado or anything that high.

I have to wonder if you've got either a twisted transmission cooler line or a defective thermal bypass valve.  I do recall a bulletin for the twisted lines and high temps so could be that.

TBV opens at 145F on the 10 speeds.  Even then during towing I don't think you should have seen anything much past 210F at its worst.   

I think so too. I printed off that TSB and left it on the dash of my truck when I dropped it off last time, they clearly saw it because it's missing now lol.

I'll check with another dealer and see if they can help out.

On 9/15/2023 at 9:02 AM, ArthurW said:

Hey all,

Arthur

This is certainly not what we like to hear, ArtWi.  Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with the temperature on your 2022 GMC Sierra. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] with ATTN: ArtWi/GM Trucks in the subject line.

Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s Privacy Policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html. The information you provide may be monitored and recorded and is subject to the GM Privacy Statement.

Privacy Statement | General Motors
Your privacy is important to General Motors. This Privacy Statement addresses the personal information GM collects and how GM handles that personal information.
www.gm.com

• Thanks 1

Great to see GM Customer Service monitoring and participating on this board. After having just purchased a $50K+ truck myself, which is loaded with technology I'm comforted to know that it is not only the dealer that we can potentially involve in any issues should one appear.

Good luck with your truck OP. Just for an apples and oranges comparison my 5.3l 10sp truck's trans temp has only gotten to 145° in the hot summer we're having. I haven't towed with it yet but getting another 130° hotter than that under load would leave me concerned too, especially since your 5Klb trailer weight is only about 60% of your truck's towing capacity.

Edited by TrueBlue

On 9/18/2023 at 1:16 PM, GMCustomerService said:

This is certainly not what we like to hear, ArtWi.  Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with the temperature on your 2022 GMC Sierra. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] with ATTN: ArtWi/GM Trucks in the subject line.

Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s Privacy Policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html. The information you provide may be monitored and recorded and is subject to the GM Privacy Statement.

Privacy Statement | General Motors
Your privacy is important to General Motors. This Privacy Statement addresses the personal information GM collects and how GM handles that personal information.
www.gm.com

Thank you, I've sent the email. I will update this page with what kind of solution is provided.

On 9/20/2023 at 10:42 PM, GETGONE said:

Probably not something you want to do since it's under warranty, but this is an option:

https://www.thoroughbreddiesel.com/125069000/

Have you installed this? wondering if there is any measurable amount of fluid loss during the install.