Love my Chevy Trucks...BUT

I am a loyal GM owner.  Since 2010, I have bought/owned, a 2010 Cadillac SRX, a 2014 Silverado 1500, a 2019 Silverado 2500 diesel, I have liked all of them and never had to pay for On-Star or a data plan to have voice control functions work.

In June I bought a 2023 Colorado LT, downsize from the 2500 that didn't need for towing anymore.   A couple of weeks ago I let my On-Star plan lapse, get all the functions from my iPhone so why pay to duplicate something I get free.  So last week the voice activation button on my steering wheel quite working,

Today I called the dealer, ask why my voice command stopped working, they said to contract On-Star.  

I was told by the on-star rep, that a feature that I paid for, as standard equipment, and has alway worked in my 3 previous GM models I now have to pay for.

WHY, as a standard feature do I need to PAY.  I can see why KEYLESS OPEN AND START (may not work, from a distance, requiring an internet connection) but I should be able to internally communicate with my Trucks Infotainment system.  

NOT HAPPY with this new GM decision to nickel and dime its Loyal Customers

Ed Mason

• Like 1

Be prepared for more of this type of money grab. GM is eyeing ongoing subscriptions as a revenue source. Having said that, my 2024 Silverado 3500 has no plan through On star and my steering wheel and voice controls for the phone still works. 

Edited by 64BAwagon

On 9/11/2023 at 5:06 PM, Moms Favorite said:

I am a loyal GM owner.  Since 2010, I have bought/owned, a 2010 Cadillac SRX, a 2014 Silverado 1500, a 2019 Silverado 2500 diesel, I have liked all of them and never had to pay for On-Star or a data plan to have voice control functions work.

In June I bought a 2023 Colorado LT, downsize from the 2500 that didn't need for towing anymore.   A couple of weeks ago I let my On-Star plan lapse, get all the functions from my iPhone so why pay to duplicate something I get free.  So last week the voice activation button on my steering wheel quite working,

Today I called the dealer, ask why my voice command stopped working, they said to contract On-Star.  

I was told by the on-star rep, that a feature that I paid for, as standard equipment, and has alway worked in my 3 previous GM models I now have to pay for.

WHY, as a standard feature do I need to PAY.  I can see why KEYLESS OPEN AND START (may not work, from a distance, requiring an internet connection) but I should be able to internally communicate with my Trucks Infotainment system.  

NOT HAPPY with this new GM decision to nickel and dime its Loyal Customers

Ed Mason

Long press the phone button to use Apple CarPlay/Android Auto.  If you single press it will prompt the built in Google.  

Make sure you are using Apple CarPlay and press and hold to activate the Apple hands free.  

On 9/14/2023 at 6:59 PM, Moms Favorite said:

Worked up as you described until about 2 weeks ago. Now no matter how long it is held will not activate CarPlay.  Guy from OnStar informed to have pay for a data plan now. Complete BS. 

Doesn't sound right.  Connected Services plan and Apple Carplay aren't connected.  Nowhere in the documentation I've searched says they are.  

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Am thinking of updating my 2021 Colarado ZR2 for a new one but, GM is not exuding a great amount of confidence in me on the new Colorado / Canyon. Out for the second year and they are still not shipping. Hold backs for quality issues and parts not being available. Come on GM, get your shet together!