BOSE Premium Sound, Really?

A complaint I have about the radio in my LT TB is.... for being premium sound in a $64K US truck, I have heard way better from basic setups. My old truck for one. This truck is totally lacking bass, which I see in other premium packages that include a sub- woofer. I have gone into the EQ and played with the settings and fader and still not even getting close to the sound I had in the RAM. Without adding an after market add on, has anyone found the sweet spot for your current setup? It is really sad that I have to add to something that I paid for in the first place. Usually, when I by anything BOSE anything, it has always been top notch, heck even 12 years ago we had an Nissan Armada with a BOSE system in it and it was awesome. Definitely thinking about the next time I am at the dealer, complain to them about the non premium sound I am getting from my stock premium sound. Sorry just me venting. But I would be interested if anyone has maybe found a good setting for the STOCK premium sound. I do see a lot of info on YouTube adding a subwoofer which would definitely help this setup extremely. But I just feel I shouldn't have too.

Have you tried different sources?  I'm not saying this is the best Bose system I've ever heard, but I think it's plenty acceptable for stock.  One of the big problems with trying to get an unbiased opinion is the fact you cannot play a reference CD.  To get around this, find a couple of good sounding CD's and rip them to FLAC on your PC to a USB stick.  Then try to play that. It's kind of hard to form a fair opinion using XM or Spotify due the all of the compression, and low bitrate.

Also, I find a small bump on the EQ for Bass and Treble, essentially cutting the Mid's helps.

Lastly, first post, but it's helpful to the others when you don't use crazy font formatting on your posts.

Seems fine to me, but I'm not an audiophile.  When I tell Alexa to play American Flags by Tom McDonald, and turn the volume to about 50%, the base seems to thump hard to me.  I don't believe I've messed with the EQ settings on my truck at all. 

Sounds good enough for the average person. 2x it will vibrate the mirrors. My old '11 Tahoe w/Bose seemed to have a touch more bass than the Silverado though. 

Bose in my old '11 Tahoe was way better than the system in my old '17 Continental. The Conti was real weak sound wise vs an older trucks system. 

No it's not gonna have the yo yo getto bass hit of a fart can Honda.

On 8/25/2023 at 12:16 AM, Transient said:

Seems fine to me, but I'm not an audiophile.  When I tell Alexa to play American Flags by Tom McDonald, and turn the volume to about 50%, the base seems to thump hard to me.  I don't believe I've messed with the EQ settings on my truck at all. 

Yep that song makes any system sound better!!!!!

Our '24 AT4 "Bose Premium" sound system is the worst sounding system of any car I've had the past 15 years or so (our '05 Evo was terrible lol). Going from the Alpine branded system in our '16 Ram to this was beyond disappointing. Weak highs, no lows, and lots of muttled mid range; unbelievably poor sound quality for any vehicle much less something approaching 6 figures. 

On 8/25/2023 at 7:22 AM, repairman54 said:

Sounds good enough for the average person. 2x it will vibrate the mirrors. My old '11 Tahoe w/Bose seemed to have a touch more bass than the Silverado though. 

Bose in my old '11 Tahoe was way better than the system in my old '17 Continental. The Conti was real weak sound wise vs an older trucks system. 

Now that's some funny $hit right there. LMAO. We call them weedwacker cars, motor sounds like its doing 90mph but the car only doing 30mph.

Edited by Silverado4x4
  • Like 1

On 8/29/2023 at 11:57 AM, madweazl said:

Our '24 AT4 "Bose Premium" sound system is the worst sounding system of any car I've had the past 15 years or so (our '05 Evo was terrible lol). Going from the Alpine branded system in our '16 Ram to this was beyond disappointing. Weak highs, no lows, and lots of muttled mid range; unbelievably poor sound quality for any vehicle much less something approaching 6 figures. 

I’m going to change the dash corner speakers and see how it sounds I ordered speakers . 61.00 with shipping and tax at crutchfield audio. A lot of people say it makes a world of difference. I’ll keep you up to date because my 2023 RST sounds just like you described. 

Edited by Mshawn
  • Like 1

On 8/31/2023 at 6:53 PM, MrMagloo said:

Take pics and take notes. I'm wondering myself what's involved in changing those dash speakers.  TIA !!

Will do. I’ll do a write up on it. I just ordered the metra 72-4573 speaker harness to see if they will work because I know some have said it would although they are listed to only be compatible with up to 22 year. I ordered them today of Amazon for $7.50 plus free shipping will be here on the 15th and then I’ll install it then post my results.

• Like 1

I've heard that a lot of truck owners hate the Bose system, I agree. While I'm no expert, I didn't think that the stereo had enough bass. I finally changed the 2 front door speakers and I think it's much better, at least for me. But I'm old and don't play my music until the windows vibrate. I actually didn't think that the dash speakers did much at all to improve the sound. But, once again, I'm old, and don't usually blast the music.

I'll be watching for your write up. If the dash speakers really make a difference, then maybe I'll try that also.

I agree, for what these trucks cost, they should have a premium sound system.

Good luck

The Bose system is mediocre because GM wanted it to be cheap. Very few if any assembly line sound systems sound good.

If you want good sound you have to go after market. New radio, speakers, sub and add amps.

On 8/25/2023 at 6:22 AM, repairman54 said:

Power should render clarity not volume. This type of builder uses power to be seen and felt by others. He can't hear squat after 30 seconds in 'fart can'.  Everyone can hear his trim buzzing. :crackup:

8 hours ago, diyer2 said:

The Bose system is mediocre because GM wanted it to be cheap. Very few if any assembly line sound systems sound good.

If you want good sound you have to go after market. New radio, speakers, sub and add amps.

I'm sure you remember from your component days that the best components in the world sound like carping in the wrong room layout. Even the drapes and room dimensions mattered. Mediocre can sound quite good well laid out and sitting in the right spot. 

My ears are no longer good enough to tell the difference. AM static is just as annoying as FM Classical. Can I order radio delete? :) 

12 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Power should render clarity not volume. This type of builder uses power to be seen and felt by others. He can't hear squat after 30 seconds in 'fart can'.  Everyone can hear his trim buzzing. :crackup:

I'm sure you remember from your component days that the best components in the world sound like carping in the wrong room layout. Even the drapes and room dimensions mattered. Mediocre can sound quite good well laid out and sitting in the right spot. 

My ears are no longer good enough to tell the difference. AM static is just as annoying as FM Classical. Can I order radio delete? :) 

Back in the wind noise and rattle days I had loud exhaust and boosted music. I always had bad hearing. The hearing hasn’t got any worse except now I’m loud sensitive. Buzzing and popping when things get loud. All my vehicles are quite in comparison and most original radios from the factory seem clear with the right definition. Even my Honda has a sub woofer. I don’t do the loud test. My ears would start popping. That will probably happen to most if they insist on over amplifying. Probably why the manufacturers don’t do too much avoiding future litigation. We know how people like to scream I’m getting a lawyer these days.

• Like 1