2022 Silverado 2.7 liter

I just towed my 25' 6000 lb. travel trailer from Minnesota to Wyoming and back last week with my 23 High Country 6.2. 1700 miles total and I averaged 8.5 mpg. Wind was around 15- 20 mph in my face both ways.

Wind is a huge factor towing a travel trailer. 

Lots of long grades are too.

Edited by dieselfan1

I’ll be pulling it back up there over the holidays. I have a bunch of work up there so I will be taking the same path up a loaded the same way. I am by no means knocking the 2.7t this is a great motor. VERY surprising in the power and mileage when not loaded. Love the truck. The custom  4x4 was on loan to me for about a week from a friend of mines dealership. I loved the truck. The next month I had the RST 5.3 z71 I had 250 miles on it. I pulled my tractor and trailer back. I fell in love with both trucks. I went with the RST because I got one hell of a deal. The custom was a loaner they use there and had 23000 roughly miles on it.  So yeah I love them both. I’m thinking of ordering a new custom trail boss with the 2.7t for my wife for Christmas. She love her Subaru and it is a great car but it drives 92 miles round trip to work 5 days a week. I figure that way I can have both to play with, and she will not have to run the miles up on her truck. LolIMG_9973.thumb.jpeg.1cd0cb344e7831ebf81546db15da296f.jpeg

On 8/13/2023 at 9:18 AM, KARNUT said:

When I was pulling up until the early 2000s my pulling heavy MPGs was the same with gas or diesel. At that time the TQ ratings were close to the same. Today the big diesels across the brands are so powerful that medium and light pulling is effortless so the mileage is better. Is it worth the upgrade is the question.

I get better than that with my 2017 6.2. Really makes you feel good about the over the top price of these new trucks.

1 hour ago, Likarok said:

Only one way to be a RV puller and that is diesel! But then I am old school from back when they built real trucks!

Funny you say that. In the 70s our one tons pulled campers and hay trailers. Our one ton Ford had a modified 390 and our Chevy had a 454. Later we pulled a 4 horse trailer with a camper combo that slept 6. A 2 ton GMC with a gas V-6 and a two speed rear axle pulled it easily. One of our first equipment pulling rigs was a converted 2 ton wrecker that had a 6 cylinder and a two speed rear axle. Our first diesel puller was a one ton Ford with a non turbo 7.3 in 1988. It didn’t pull any better than the previous until we put a banks turbo kit on it. The 6.5 Chevy diesel did ok in 1/2 tons, they weren’t load pullers to speak of. That all changed with the Cummins Dodge the Ford 7.3 turbo. Later GM finally upped their diesel game, it took awhile. Finally there’s parity but that’s pretty recent.