I wonder fob shape is an indication of 'push and hold' vs 'push twice'?

2021 FOB - push lock then 'push and hold' start 

image.png.cc4c41692c3916e3a99f249009d73dc6.png

2023 FOB  -- push 'start' twice

image.png.2ef0ce00442315aeb598c314b28d9822.png

Here is the final update. First of all. The new hood latch fixed the problem. I want to recap the situation just in case someone else has the same problems. 

When remote start is tried. The flashers flash but the truck doesn't try to start.

I never had a "hood open" indicator. When I opened up the hood. There was still no hood open indicator. Once I took the old hood latch off, I tested it for ohms. It had little to no resistance. The new hood latch (oem from GM) measured about 4.6 ohm when in the open position. I forgot to test it in the closed position. After installed. I immediately saw the "hood open" indicator. Taking this as a good sign. I closed everything. Tried the remote starter and it worked as it should. Thank you Steve P45. Your advice helped me allot. 

Edited by Anthony Bautista
  • Like 1

Between all the labels and warnings that require humans to get through the day. The one that reminds people that you have a child in your vehicle makes me wonder. If we’d be better off if AI did take more control over our lives. People are already losing control.

40 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

Between all the labels and warnings that require humans to get through the day. The one that reminds people that you have a child in your vehicle makes me wonder. If we’d be better off if AI did take more control over our lives. People are already losing control.

I agree, with todays technology it is making people not to think they rely on technology to do there thinking for them. Next is a voice recording in the bathroom to remind people to wipe their butt when they get off the toilet.

10 minutes ago, Silverado4x4 said:

I agree, with todays technology it is making people not to think they rely on technology to do there thinking for them. Next is a voice recording in the bathroom to remind people to wipe their butt when they get off the toilet.

My phone when I start my wife’s car this morning to go to church will tell me the way and elapsed time. My wife after a conversation with her mother about going to the store to pick up stuff for her. Will do the same. The way and elapsed time. If you say certain key words like I need help. Your phone will dial the emergency number and your most used numbers. I don’t remember what the word or phrase she said to trigger her phone to call 911. She had to tell her phone to stop or it connected and she had to explain everything was fine. Right now your TV, phone and vehicle can track or spy on you. Just imagine if you were anywhere near Washington on January 6, causing trouble or not they know. You’ll be contacted. Brave new world.

You really need to post this under another topic.... it has nothing to do with remote start not working.    

You really need to investigate your privacy settings in your IPhone or android device and perhaps your google settings.  

If you have google assistance in your home or alexa or echo, you have already sold your soul and that of your family to big tech

28 minutes ago, SteveP45 said:

You really need to post this under another topic.... it has nothing to do with remote start not working.    

You really need to investigate your privacy settings in your IPhone or android device and perhaps your google settings.  

If you have google assistance in your home or alexa or echo, you have already sold your soul and that of your family to big tech

And yet you contribute to the conversation. 😁

• 1 month later...
On 7/15/2023 at 3:49 PM, SierraSLT4x4 said:

Here is the final update. First of all. The new hood latch fixed the problem. I want to recap the situation just in case someone else has the same problems. 

When remote start is tried. The flashers flash but the truck doesn't try to start.

I never had a "hood open" indicator. When I opened up the hood. There was still no hood open indicator. Once I took the old hood latch off, I tested it for ohms. It had little to no resistance. The new hood latch (oem from GM) measured about 4.6 ohm when in the open position. I forgot to test it in the closed position. After installed. I immediately saw the "hood open" indicator. Taking this as a good sign. I closed everything. Tried the remote starter and it worked as it should. Thank you Steve P45. Your advice helped me allot. 

So, I am having the same issue, but I am not getting the flashing lights when I try to remote start my 21 Sierra. Since you have been down the road, do you think it is worth replacing the latch? Did you order the latch only, or did it come with the sensor to connect to the wiring harness? It seems like a pretty easy fix to DIY, just not sure if it is the exact same scenario since I am not getting the lights at all. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Do you get a hood latch open MIL when you open it and then try to manually start it? 

In my opinion never take a high pressure spray to the hood latch area of the truck or do a drive through high pressure wash.

Until GM and Chevy redesign the latch and do a recall to replace all the current hood latches (like they did on the instrument clusters many years ago)... the hood latch is a week point in all the POST checks which take place via remote start.   Also make sure all doors are fully closed and locked and make sure all windows are fully closed.... otherwise you will not even get flashing lights via remote start.

Hope this helps..

On 7/15/2023 at 3:13 PM, redwngr said:

Seems it depends on when the truck was built.

Not sure when it was changed, but GM's used to be push and release lock, then push and hold (4 sec) the start button. 

I'd guess it got changed with the refresh.

'23 sierra manual says

Starting the Engine Using Remote Start
Press 'Start'  twice on the remote key.

The turn signal lamps will flash. The lamps flash to confirm the request to remote start the vehicle has been received. 

Correct.  Everything that has gone to GM VIP (GM Global B) has the new style remote start function.  Refreshed trucks, C8 Corvette, various other products.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, SteveP45 said:

Do you get a hood latch open MIL when you open it and then try to manually start it? 

In my opinion never take a high pressure spray to the hood latch area of the truck or do a drive through high pressure wash.

Until GM and Chevy redesign the latch and do a recall to replace all the current hood latches (like they did on the instrument clusters many years ago)... the hood latch is a week point in all the POST checks which take place via remote start.   Also make sure all doors are fully closed and locked and make sure all windows are fully closed.... otherwise you will not even get flashing lights via remote start.

Hope this helps..

Thanks for responding... 

I am not getting any messages on the dash, which is why I am a bit confused. I would expect to see something in regards to the hood being open if it was the sensor. My guess is you are right on the high pressure water since I have taken it through the car was a few times recently. It would be crazy if that is what is causing the issue - What? GMC have something against keeping your truck clean?!? 🤣

I am thinking it probably isn't the physical latch, but who knows??? none of this seems to make sense. After all of my issues with push rods and lifters, I shouldn't be surprised at anything, I guess!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2023 at 11:19 AM, 99NCAA said:

So, I am having the same issue, but I am not getting the flashing lights when I try to remote start my 21 Sierra. Since you have been down the road, do you think it is worth replacing the latch? Did you order the latch only, or did it come with the sensor to connect to the wiring harness? It seems like a pretty easy fix to DIY, just not sure if it is the exact same scenario since I am not getting the lights at all. Thanks in advance for any advice!

This is certainly not what we like to hear, 99NCAA.  Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with the remote start feature not working properly on your 2021 GMC Sierra. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] with ATTN: 99NCAA/GM Trucks in the subject line.

Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s Privacy Policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html. The information you provide may be monitored and recorded and is subject to the GM Privacy Statement.

Privacy Statement | General Motors
Your privacy is important to General Motors. This Privacy Statement addresses the personal information GM collects and how GM handles that personal information.
www.gm.com

• 3 months later...
On 7/11/2023 at 9:00 PM, SteveP45 said:

I spent several months... turned out to be a defective hood latch on my 2019 crew Cab LT Z71.   Remote start works flawlessly since the hood latch was replaced.   I was also getting sporadic false MILs 

I talked directly with the mechanic and went through every MIL I encountered.  I then mentioned I had seen a hood open lamp briefly, but it went out.  He fiddled around with the hood latch and finally got it to fail and illuminate the hood open MIL.

Turns out it was the hood latch.   Also make sure all windows are fully closed and all doors closed and locked.

Mine would sometimes just do what yours does and other times also set off the anti theft.    

Hope this helps.     Search for my member name, you should find all the postings I did on this.

Going through something similar on my 20'. What part # did you use to order the hood latch? And how much did it cost to get swapped out? 

It was over $100.  The price has dropped now from other third party sources to less than $100 for the switch… It was in middle of winter so I had the Chevy dealership order it and when it came in I had them install it.     Could not find the dealer ticket, but I had them give me the old latch and the box it came in… I am attaching a pic which has the part # on it.  It is GM part  84805445

i plan to bypass the actual switch on the old part by soldering in a 2k resistor between to two wires on the old switch because I have read the anti theft system and or the computer is expecting a 2k resistance when the hood latch is closed… apparently the micro switch in the old hood latch failed to give a 2k resistance when the hood was closed.IMG_5123.thumb.jpeg.4cdd3453ef4dae591a9eada3cb3b0794.jpeg

Edited by SteveP45
Corrected typo and added info and added part number