2023 GMC Canyon AT4 – Hitch Receiver?

I just received my 2023 Canyon AT4, maybe I’m an idiot and I didn’t check the proper boxes when ordering mine (will have to look later) but why is there not a Hitch Receiver installed on these from the factory? Best in class towing but I still have to go get a Receiver installed? I called around and no one has any information on this. One guy did say he thought that the new canyons were bumper pulls and that I would have to look under there and that there is a hole. I would just have to buy the ball and screw it in.

Anyone have any ideas? Should I just take it to a U-Haul and have one installed?

Thanks.

https://ibb.co/wYJ4Dw1
https://ibb.co/syqskLm
https://ibb.co/mFnz68z

Images here

Factory installed hitch comes only with the ZL6 Pro Grade Trailering System which would have also gotten you the factory integrated brake controller.  

ZL6   ProGrade Trailering System, includes (U1D) In-vehicle Trailering App and (Z82) Trailering Package

GM has the hitch in the accessories catalog.  86796043 is the hitch kit but its on backorder.  7700lbs factory rated.  You also need 84955755 wiring kit.  

Also, read the tow ratings in the manual carefully.  If you don't have the G80 and Z82 its rated to 6000lbs.  

Edited by newdude
  • Thanks 1

Gotcha, yeah it appears I didn't tick the correct boxes like a moron. But the Director of Parts as he was shuttling me around yesterday (Getting black badges installed) told me to just go to the U-Haul. It's the same Hitch with a different sticker. So I'm going to check that out especially if these are on backorder at GM. Will report back what they say.

Side note: He told me this because I asked him to take a look and he told me he takes all of his vehicles to the U-Haul to have Hitches installed.

Thanks for your quick reply!

5 hours ago, newdude said:

Factory installed hitch comes only with the ZL6 Pro Grade Trailering System which would have also gotten you the factory integrated brake controller.  

ZL6   ProGrade Trailering System, includes (U1D) In-vehicle Trailering App and (Z82) Trailering Package

GM has the hitch in the accessories catalog.  86796043 is the hitch kit but its on backorder.  7700lbs factory rated.  You also need 84955755 wiring kit.  

Also, read the tow ratings in the manual carefully.  If you don't have the G80 and Z82 its rated to 6000lbs.  

Looks like this site has them:

https://www.gmpartsoverstock.com/oem-parts/gm-trailering-package-7-700-lb-capacity-86796043?c=az0x

https://www.gmpartsoverstock.com/oem-parts/gm-trailer-hitch-wiring-harness-84955755

Thanks for those part numbers man your'e amazing!

5 hours ago, Tacito said:

I'd HIGHLY suggest contacting them.  Those wholesale sites run by dealers in the US are NOT always accurate.  Also, be prepared to see the shipping price they show go up as those hitches are not light and the box is a good size.

The safest option IMO is from the official GMC Acessories site.  When they come off backorder they can ship it to your local dealer free of charge for pickup or you can pre-pay installation.  

Link to the hitch - 3,500-lb.-Capacity Hitch Trailering Package | Product Search Results (gmc.com)

Plug - Wiring Harness | Trailering | GMC Accessories

Plus if you ordered now on there you can get 15% off from $300-599 and if you've got your GM Rewards points you can stack those in there as well.  

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, newdude said:

I'd HIGHLY suggest contacting them.  Those wholesale sites run by dealers in the US are NOT always accurate.  Also, be prepared to see the shipping price they show go up as those hitches are not light and the box is a good size.

The safest option IMO is from the official GMC Acessories site.  When they come off backorder they can ship it to your local dealer free of charge for pickup or you can pre-pay installation.  

Link to the hitch - 3,500-lb.-Capacity Hitch Trailering Package | Product Search Results (gmc.com)

Plug - Wiring Harness | Trailering | GMC Accessories

Plus if you ordered now on there you can get 15% off from $300-599 and if you've got your GM Rewards points you can stack those in there as well.  

You have been amazing man. Thank you so much truly. My first ever truck will now be even more enjoyable. I hope you have a great weekend man.

Tacito

I also just took delivery of an Elevation I found in my local dealer's inventory.  Like you, I assumed that a receiver hitch was also standard equipment on the truck.  The one I bought did not have the tow package on it, but when I looked under the rear bumper there appeared to be an actual hitch assembly minus the 2" receiver tube.  Instead, it had hole in the assembly that lined up perfectly with a hidden hole in the bumper above.  Like previously said, a hitch ball could have been installed, but I really didn't want this.  I also noted a sticker on the that hitch assembly was rated at 3500 lbs.

I negotiated with my dealer and he ordered the hitch and wiring harness from the GM accessory warehouse with me paying for the parts (at cost, I doubt it) and they installing for free. This was just last week and the parts came right in.  I'm not worried about pulling the max or taxing the cooling system because I only short haul a 2000 lb "honey do" trailer for my wife for mulch and stuff.  I've got to get my 500 miles on the truck before I next pull the trailer.  My dealer had suggested using a local hidden hitch dealer or the like, but I wanted factory parts and the warranty that comes with it.

FYI, ordering accessories for the truck from accessories.gmc.com was quick and easy.  There are discount codes based on how much you are spending and the parts shipped to the dealer were there in two days.  As previously stated, on some accessories there is even an option to pay for installation at check out.  Highly recommend it.  Hope all works well for you.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2023 at 7:05 AM, Mike Cooper said:

Tacito

I also just took delivery of an Elevation I found in my local dealer's inventory.  Like you, I assumed that a receiver hitch was also standard equipment on the truck.  The one I bought did not have the tow package on it, but when I looked under the rear bumper there appeared to be an actual hitch assembly minus the 2" receiver tube.  Instead, it had hole in the assembly that lined up perfectly with a hidden hole in the bumper above.  Like previously said, a hitch ball could have been installed, but I really didn't want this.  I also noted a sticker on the that hitch assembly was rated at 3500 lbs.

I negotiated with my dealer and he ordered the hitch and wiring harness from the GM accessory warehouse with me paying for the parts (at cost, I doubt it) and they installing for free. This was just last week and the parts came right in.  I'm not worried about pulling the max or taxing the cooling system because I only short haul a 2000 lb "honey do" trailer for my wife for mulch and stuff.  I've got to get my 500 miles on the truck before I next pull the trailer.  My dealer had suggested using a local hidden hitch dealer or the like, but I wanted factory parts and the warranty that comes with it.

FYI, ordering accessories for the truck from accessories.gmc.com was quick and easy.  There are discount codes based on how much you are spending and the parts shipped to the dealer were there in two days.  As previously stated, on some accessories there is even an option to pay for installation at check out.  Highly recommend it.  Hope all works well for you.

Hey, I never replied to you. I am choosing to go to U-Haul after I spoke to the Director of Parts & Maintenance guy, I will be following his recommendation. They ordered parts being delivered this Friday, only going to run me about $400. It is the same part just a different sticker and not going to run me an absurd amount of $$.

Thanks all!

Edited by Tacito