Curt Spectrum Brake Controller

Just got a 2023 Silverado Custom Trail Boss. I didn't notice at the time but doesn't have the factory trailer brake controller, does have the tow package. I've ordered the Curt Spectrum, looks like an easy install except: The cover where the oem controller goes, as I understand, pushes in and not pried out. It appears to me that I need to remove considerable amount of trim to access the back to remove. I have seen videos where folks have scarred it up pretty good and I would like to avoid that. My question is, can the holes just be drilled to mount the spectrum with the cover in place and just chase the harness thru the hole? I know there is a dummy connector but does not appear to be in the way.  Thanks

I will repost after my attempt to install the curt spectrum without removing the cover, maybe a yeah that's the way to go without pulling everything apart or nope doesn't work, I'll let you know🙂

GM accessories sells that controller.

Did you buy it there and get install instructions with it? 

This is the pic in the accessories section, but it's the pre-refresh style dash. 

Spectrum™ Brake Controller Module by CURT™ Group- Associated Accessories
Part No.: 19418031

image.png.4d46cf171a8fd4954be73270d0f18f08.png

The controller is just like the picture you posted. Got it at Chevyparts.com $198.00 with coupon. 

Update on the install: I drilled for the bracket with the panel in place. The wire was easy to fish thru, did not have to remove a thing. There are several videos out there and one pushed in the small panel where the brake controller goes and one removed the whole bezel, way easier my way. The controller matches the knobs in the truck and actually looks pretty good.

• Like 1