if i where to re gear from (3.42) to (3.73) would that give me the maximum towing and if so would it also work with a 6inch bds and 35s

Just now, buttemines said:

this is gonna sound dumb but gmt900 ??? and ok i’m trying to reach the 11,000 max towing weight with a lift and i’m new to all this

Gmt900 is the generation of trucks before k2's (2014-2019).

What year is your truck, what engine do you have?

Search Google for a calculator that will identify your gear ratio; taking your 35's into account.

• Like 1

Lifting a truck and adding 35's also reduces the overall tow rating because you are altering the stock version on the suspension. How much it changes is tough to say and it surely doesn't stop the brodozer guys from doing it. (not saying you're a brodozer but it never fails to see the those lifted roofing or construction trucks pulling max weight thinking it's just fine until that massive repair bill of bearings and front end parts).

I sure as hell would never try to pull close to 10,000lbs on a lifted truck.

Edited by CamGTP
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, buttemines said:

2014 chevy 5.3l v8 same body as the 2015

double cab, crew cab, long, short, regular bed???

The BDS lift and 35s have added about 300 pounds to your truck which takes away from your payload rating.  Tonneau cover and other accessories also reduce the truck's payload rating.

The change in gearing will help the engine restore the power lost to the ground by the lift and tires.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, buttemines said:

so i just checked the rpo codes in the upper glovebox and it was gu6 which this chart i found says 3.42

Those towing specs are wrong, K2 6.2 trucks never came with 3.73's. Search for your year/model's user manual to get the correct guide.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, M1ck3y said:

Those towing specs are wrong, K2 6.2 trucks never came with 3.73's. Search for your year/model's user manual to get the correct guide.

i just looked and i’m getting the same specs for the 5.3 and 6.2 the truck pulls my camp trailer right now i’m just look for a extra push with the mountains  and to lift it really 

my trailer weighs 7,418 dry and the gvwr is 9,285 so it pulls it fine i’m just looking for a extra push i usually only haul it with a full fresh tank for hunting camp (49 gallons) and i empty the fresh water tank and haul it back with the grey and black which is (105 gal and 35 gal ) and that’s the towing i plan on doing with it 

45 minutes ago, M1ck3y said:

2014 and 2015 did with NHT max trailer.  All NHT were 6L80 with 3.73 for that year.  2016 they went to the 8L90 with the 6 speed and dropped NHT to 3.42.  5.3 with the 6 speed NHT was still 3.73.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, buttemines said:

my trailer weighs 7,418 dry and the gvwr is 9,285 so it pulls it fine i’m just looking for a extra push i usually only haul it with a full fresh tank for hunting camp (49 gallons) and i empty the fresh water tank and haul it back with the grey and black which is (105 gal and 35 gal ) and that’s the towing i plan on doing with it 

9285lbs is at 100% or more of the stock 3.42 gearing.  If you stay stock (no lift) you can go 3.73 or 4.10 to get you the added grunt but are still short on the payload aspect as Max Trailer trucks have high GVWR and payload.  So airbags and the gears would work, but on paper its overweight still.

If you lift?  4.56 at a minimum.  But lift/wheels/tires adds curb weight which greatly reduces payload which means you'd be even more over weight.  

Ideally you should be looking at a new truck, a 2500HD really.