Brake Failure, Top Speed of 43 MPH

I have  a 2019 Sierra, in March 2020 I got the break recall done.  I turned on my truck earlier in the week and it said Brake Failure, Top Speed of 43 MPH, towed it to the dealer, and they reprogramed something.  I drove it home and started it an hour later and it said it again, but Brake Failure, Top Speed of 63 MPH.  Now they are replacing the master cylinder.  I know this is a problem with these trucks, is the master cylinder going to fix the problem? From what I can find GM knows about it, but doesn't know how to fix it.

Thanks,

Seen the message before.  Been able to drive faster than the message after checking the brake feel and knowing they stop the truck.  Had no issues, and never went to the dealer for repair.  I think there's an occasional electrical gremlin running through the truck.  When it happens it's usually at startup.  Electrical gremlins suck.

2 hours ago, Justinrb70 said:

I have  a 2019 Sierra, in March 2020 I got the break recall done.  I turned on my truck earlier in the week and it said Brake Failure, Top Speed of 43 MPH, towed it to the dealer, and they reprogramed something.  I drove it home and started it an hour later and it said it again, but Brake Failure, Top Speed of 63 MPH.  Now they are replacing the master cylinder.  I know this is a problem with these trucks, is the master cylinder going to fix the problem? From what I can find GM knows about it, but doesn't know how to fix it.

Thanks,

This is certainly not what we like to hear, Justinrb70.  Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with your 2019 GMC Sierra. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] with ATTN: Justinrb70/GM Trucks in the subject line.

Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s Privacy Policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html. The information you provide may be monitored and recorded and is subject to the GM Privacy Statement.

Privacy Statement | General Motors
Your privacy is important to General Motors. This Privacy Statement addresses the personal information GM collects and how GM handles that personal information.
www.gm.com

4 hours ago, GMCustomerService said:

This is certainly not what we like to hear, Justinrb70.  Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with your 2019 GMC Sierra. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] with ATTN: Justinrb70/GM Trucks in the subject line.

Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s Privacy Policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html. The information you provide may be monitored and recorded and is subject to the GM Privacy Statement.

Privacy Statement | General Motors
Your privacy is important to General Motors. This Privacy Statement addresses the personal information GM collects and how GM handles that personal information.
www.gm.com

I sent an email with all of the problems with this truck.  After putting three transmissions in my 2014 Silverado, the first at 100K miles, the second under warranty, and the third 50K later not under warranty, I'm getting a little tired of new GM trucks.

• Thanks 1

I got that message twice in my truck.  The first time, I was told that they could not do anything because the check engine light went away before I got to the dealership.  

The second time was at 5000 miles.  They replaced the master cylinder and the brake control module.  I am now at 8700 miles and have not had that problem come back yet.

• 1 year later...

I just had what the stealership is telling me was a failure of the Master Cylinder on my 2019 Silverado with only 16K miles on it. Almost killed my wife and kids.

Now they want to charge me $2500 for the pleasure of driving my paid off truck again. Never again will Chevy get my money, taking it to a local mechanic for less than half for aftermarket parts that can’t be any worse than OEM.

Did this issue return?

20 minutes ago, Cmb1982 said:

I just had what the stealership is telling me was a failure of the Master Cylinder on my 2019 Silverado with only 16K miles on it. Almost killed my wife and kids.

Now they want to charge me $2500 for the pleasure of driving my paid off truck again. Never again will Chevy get my money, taking it to a local mechanic for less than half for aftermarket parts that can’t be any worse than OEM.

Did this issue return?

Aftermarket doesn't make a brake master cylinder for these trucks so good luck with that.  The master cylinder with module is a $1644 part.  Used would be your only alternative and that can be a gamble.    

Even if you took it to an independent, they will have to send it to the dealer for programming anyway so you will spend close to the same amount of $$$ all said and done.    

Also.  The whole "almost k!lled" thing, you still have brakes you know.  The braking system still has to provide braking if the assist fails, you will just have increased pedal effort.  

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1

I would have made the same statement if my wife was driving a low mileage vehicle and the brake assist failed. She wouldn’t be able to panic stop the vehicle. So she and any one with her would be in jeopardy. I gravitated to older vehicles because you can no longer trust a low mileage vehicle anymore. And you can buy aftermarket. So yeah he has a right to be upset.

• 1 month later...

Im having the same issue with my 2019 Sierra 1500 AT4. All of the same warnings. It will go from no more than 62mph to 43 mph, then at some point, no brakes at all...to the floor! So "newdude", I understand what cmb1982 is saying. This has happened to me 5 times. I've had it towed 4. It all started with a simple brake pad and caliper change and now I am quite literally taking my life in my hands driving my truck because, "it seems to be fine" and isn't currently throwing any codes. I drive it for a day, maybe 4 or 5 and they fail again. 6 weeks I've been dealing with this and nobody can figure it out. 

The vehicle was not placed in service mode when the pads and caliper were replaced. I believe the caliper is bad or acuator was damaged, but nobody wants to listen to me. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I don't want GM to just start throwing parts at it until something works. I want to know what the problem is and deal with it.

On 3/18/2023 at 1:27 AM, homermacleod said:

I got that message twice in my truck.  The first time, I was told that they could not do anything because the check engine light went away before I got to the dealership.  

The second time was at 5000 miles.  They replaced the master cylinder and the brake control module.  I am now at 8700 miles and have not had that problem come back yet.

Looks like the grounding strap strikes again.

TSB(2019 & up):

#23-NA-201: Loss of Steering Assist and/or Loss of Brake Assist Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) Illuminated - DTCs P25A2, U0422, C1595, U0420, C116C, B3205, B127B, and/or B1325 Set - (Dec 14, 2023)

Some customers may comment on one or more of the following conditions:

• Loss of steering assist
  • Loss of power brakes assist
  • MIL illuminated

Some technicians may find one or more of the following DTCs set:

• B127B
  • B1325
  • B3205
  • C116C
  • C1595
  • P25A2
  • U0420
  • U0422

This condition may be caused by High resistance in the G132 and G133 grounds, located behind the RH wheelhouse liner.

The warnings that I am getting are:

Service ESC, Steering Assist Reduced, Service Trailer Brake System, Brake System Failure, Speed reduced to 43mph

These warnings come randomly, when I'm driving, and twice it's happened after the truck has sat either all day or overnight. All I did was turn it on.

I also hear a slight 'tick' when I press, let up or hold the brake pedal. 

One very strange thing that happened one of the times I lost the brakes completely...the dash instructed me to lower the driver side window, raise the driver side window, lower the passenger side window, raise the passenger side window. As soon as I completed those commands, the brakes went to the floor.