What are the odds of lifter failure on 2023s

22 minutes ago, L Morgan said:

The motor, secondarily the warranty.

Got some errands to run. Talk more later. 

If you insist on the Dexos1Gen3 license, then a shorter OCI is the only tool you have left in the bag. 2.5-3K. 

If you will forgo the license and will live with the "recommended for" but wish to stay with a 0W20 you have a few more options that will take you 5K. 

2 hours ago, L Morgan said:

I have to be convinced on 2.5/3K. What is the reasoning? 

Oh, sir you misunderstand. I don't convince anyone of anything. People ask for an opinion. I give one.

Having said that I'll offer another. One unsolicited. People that ask others for an opinion haven't got one of their own. If they did, they wouldn't ask. But you did. You just don't like the one being offered. 

Tell ya what. I'm good with that. 

Please, feel free to purchase your own education. I'm not paying for it. Paid for my own. I tried to give it to you FREE. 🤨

3 hours ago, L Morgan said:

I did, I hear ya.

Okay then, let's start over. 

Short story for some context. I recently bought a Mitsubishi Mirage G4. My owner's manual says to use 0W20 FS.

Same car in the UK gives a list of recommendations based on temperature and use including everything between 5W30 and 20W50. Same car worldwide and only in North America is a W20 recommended. So, the recommended weight isn't about wear or the operation of VVT or anything else. It's about OEM goals for EPA requirements for CAFE and the cost of fines for not delivering those goals. Nothing to do with what's best for your vehicle. 

The OEM puts you in a bind between what will protect your motor and what will protect your warranty to cover thier backsides. It's why I asked the question a few posts ago. Ya waffled with a I want both but in proper order. Paints you in a corner and me without a solid recommendation. 

The LAW tells us that we can substitute without reprisal as long as that choice is equal to or better than the recommendation. And it would be up to the Manufacture to PROVE your choice caused the damage in any warranty claim. The cost is on THEM. People don't like to deal with these things, so they choose suboptimal for convivence. 

I'm tell you flat out, you can use the recommended oil on a shorter OCI with a good result and still be in compliance with your warranty. You are never going to get a denial based on "You changed your oil to often". 

There are two reasons for this shorter OCI which I will explain but this is not an attempt to convince. Just info. 

1.) Viscosity loss due to VII polymer shear and GDI fuel dilution. The *W20 oils are on the boarder to begin with. 

2.) Dexos1Gen anything oils are NON-POLAR oils with limited, very limited solvency which is a HUGE portion of dispersancy. They will hold a very limited amount of varnish and lacquers in solution. The DI package is getting smaller all the time. 

IF you can bring yourself to include oils that the blender, tells you are okay to use under the Dexos requirement and yet not licensed then you have a few good options and a longer OCI. I'll give you two. 

1.) AMSOIL SS 0W20. While hugging the lower end of the viscosity spec in a nod to the pressures of the EPA the use a polymer strategy that 'Stays in Grade" and they use a polar chemistry. Will go 5K without looking at labs or perhaps 7.5K at least in the summer months with a bit of lab support. You follow AMSOILS warranty record keeping requirements, and they will assist you in litigation to some degree. Don't know how that works but...

@Black02Silverado is a great dealer and site supporter and with a membership I think you will find pricing surprisingly comfortable on the wallet.  

2.) Red Line 0W20. It meets the specs of HTHS for a W30 and is quite polar. Normally this is a 5K oil with the newer and lower DI package, but labs may get you further. Dan at Hoerr Racing will help out on the pricing. Tell him Grumpy sent you. You may have to be patient as Red Line is moving, and supply is tight. 

If 5W20 gets to be on the table of choice then we have some even better choices. Then it opens up huge when allowing 5W30. The oil even GM uses in the car based Ecotec# motors. 

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 9/16/2024 at 9:04 PM, L Morgan said:

Re: engine issues. People keep saying use better quality oil and more frequent oil changes. I’m coming up on 5000 mile with a 6.2. Is anything wrong with sticking with mfg recommended Dexos? My break-in was by the book but not over babying it.

The dexos specification that GM requires is not a bad one, but the majority of lubricant manufactures produce oils that meet it to the lowest standard. This is like everything out there to make the most money, which is understandable.

Sticking with a higher quality brand such as AMSOIL you have a brand and product that is warrantied by AMSOIL. As mentioned AMSOIL's OE line changed out every 5k is a good option and not expensive.   If you want a quote PM me and I can send what an oil change would cost you.  Shipping is 2-3 days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Black02Silverado said:

The dexos specification that GM requires is not a bad one, but the majority of lubricant manufactures produce oils that meet it to the lowest standard. This is like everything out there to make the most money, which is understandable.

Sticking with a higher quality brand such as AMSOIL you have a brand and product that is warrantied by AMSOIL. As mentioned AMSOIL's OE line changed out every 5k is a good option and not expensive.   If you want a quote PM me and I can send what an oil change would cost you.  Shipping is 2-3 days.

In the past 20+ years @Black02Silverado as a dedicated mechanic and later Amsoil dealer purchased our former premium independent oil analysis service for many , many samples.

Not one of his own GM V8 automobiles and trucks that used AFM in any size failed or had high wear or used oil. 
As a matter of fact I don’t remember any of his customers having failures! 

Edited by customboss
  • Thanks 1