What are the odds of lifter failure on 2023s

3 hours ago, KARNUT said:

There seems to be enough to notice. I don’t know anyone with a problem who has a vehicle with cylinder deactivation. It’s worrisome enough I passed on a couple really clean good used GMs with it in favor of keeping my avalanche. 

Not really when you look at the massive sales volumes. 30K may* fail  (the asterisk indicating that majority of the time they will NOT), And it ALSO depends on how you can keep up your maintenance on keeping the lifters active and working in order. If you want to use the cheapest oil possible..either stick with a 4.8L (those did not have AFM), an LM7 5.3, or an SBC 5.7. If you want to abuse+ use the cheapest oil- HD 6.0L  is the answer. 

2 hours ago, diyer2 said:

IMO

More frequent oil changes, better quality oil are cheap insurance.

Absolutely. I would not mind spending more for higher quality oil and maintenance...that actually is WHAT keeps these trucks out of a major repair, as does driving style. This also applies to the 6.2 ecotec that has had bearing issues recently- most of the issues would be due to bad break in, and also the WRONG fuel used. 

3 minutes ago, ScathaTheWorm said:

Not really when you look at the massive sales volumes. 30K may* fail  (the asterisk indicating that majority of the time they will NOT), And it ALSO depends on how you can keep up your maintenance on keeping the lifters active and working in order. If you want to use the cheapest oil possible..either stick with a 4.8L (those did not have AFM), an LM7 5.3, or an SBC 5.7. If you want to abuse+ use the cheapest oil- HD 6.0L  is the answer. 

It defies logic to believe adding more components in an extremely reliable engine to achieve very little in regards fuel mileage that they will be just as reliable. It doesn’t take much research to learn as much. I’m going to stay away of the more is better as long as I can. The more there is, the more there is to fail. Now instead of a few lifters that Frankenstein they all do it. What can go wrong? I never have problems. The reason is I don’t buy chances. I search for reliability. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, KARNUT said:

It defies logic to believe adding more components in an extremely reliable engine to achieve very little in regards fuel mileage that they will be just as reliable. It doesn’t take much research to learn as much. I’m going to stay away of the more is better as long as I can. The more there is, the more there is to fail. Now instead of a few lifters that Frankenstein they all do it. What can go wrong? I never have problems. The reason is I don’t buy chances. I search for reliability. 

They were FORCED by the EPA...and that certainly has NOT stopped some 5.3 GMT900s and newer 6.2s that have reached ridiculously high mileage....you can go and search them up. 

The problem is, CAFE and EPA breathed down their neck, so it was not like they had full control of the situation. I am sorry, but these will be here to stay. Same with Toyota's turbos...I will NOT touch them nor do I have the money to pay for Toyota trucks. 

12 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Use a really good oil with a reasonable OCI and issues are next to zero. 

UNLESS...

The parts themselves are defective, in which case nothing you can do will help. 

If they were defective in the first place...there would NEVER be 250k mile examples on the original engine. Yes, these are a weakness, that DO require oil changes consistently...

27 minutes ago, ScathaTheWorm said:

If they were defective in the first place...there would NEVER be 250k mile examples on the original engine. Yes, these are a weakness, that DO require oil changes consistently...

All parts are produced in batches and machined as singles and heat treated as batches. QC is not 100% and not destructive. Ergo, there is some batch-to-batch variation and sometimes GM can even identify bad batches by lot numbers and/or production runs. So yes, it isn't just possible for there to be 250K examples; it highly likely. 

On consistency of oil changes, you would be preaching to the choir. I'm first in that line. 😉 

I don't use Dexos oil. I don't use *X20 oil in anything that isn't out of Japan, and I certainly don't run them to the recommended OCI's. 

4 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

All parts are produced in batches and machined as singles and heat treated as batches. QC is not 100% and not destructive. Ergo, there is some batch-to-batch variation and sometimes GM can even identify bad batches by lot numbers and/or production runs. So yes, it isn't just possible for there to be 250K examples; it highly likely. 

On consistency of oil changes, you would be preaching to the choir. I'm first in that line. 😉 

I don't use Dexos oil. I don't use *X20 oil in anything that isn't out of Japan, and I certainly don't run them to the recommended OCI's. 

I do agree...

On 9/15/2024 at 11:00 AM, ScathaTheWorm said:

These lifters need regular oil changes. Consistent and WITH THE RIGHT TYPE. They do produce a lot of trucks...but the issues will be lower than the total volume. 

The other issue is driving style without a doubt. 

Define, mister "knows everything". I have changed my oil every 5-5500 miles since new, had the first set fail at 28k and now the second set at 46k. The truck is babied. It has towed once it it's entire life. I'm kind of sick of people claiming it's "abuse" that is causing this. It's not. It's hilarious you are the same tool posting on every GM authority article with the same BS. Unlike you, I can post the receipts. 

18 minutes ago, 1454 said:

Define, mister "knows everything". I have changed my oil every 5-5500 miles since new, had the first set fail at 28k and now the second set at 46k. The truck is babied. It has towed once it it's entire life. I'm kind of sick of people claiming it's "abuse" that is causing this. It's not. It's hilarious you are the same tool posting on every GM authority article with the same BS. Unlike you, I can post the receipts. 

Maybe you got a lemon. And you can STOP COMPLAINING on GMA and herealso when you know that you can take it to another dealership and get it fixed. I explained there , and I AM SICK OF explaining things over and over here also... You could have asked for a loaner. You could have got a rental...all if your insurance allows. Maybe it also is the driving style and break in......

Go on. Post the reciepts..... and if you have an MY21...it will make sense. If you say the receipts are confidential...then I cannot say you were saying the truth. Period. Your number also makes me question as well....

One question. Do you know everything more than the manufacturer? That would be very foolish indeed. How about you can politely ask another technician to diagnose your issue and be done with it? Or ask for a buyback in exchange for one WITHOUT DFM active?

Edited by ScathaTheWorm

Re: engine issues. People keep saying use better quality oil and more frequent oil changes. I’m coming up on 5000 mile with a 6.2. Is anything wrong with sticking with mfg recommended Dexos? My break-in was by the book but not over babying it.

29 minutes ago, L Morgan said:

Re: engine issues. People keep saying use better quality oil and more frequent oil changes. I’m coming up on 5000 mile with a 6.2. Is anything wrong with sticking with mfg recommended Dexos? My break-in was by the book but not over babying it.

I have been in the car/truck business for many many years. 30 years A.S.E. Master Tech. 10 years Fleet Manager City of Minneapolis. This is my personal opinion. I always use Dexos or whatever the manufacturer recommends for the application. I believe 5000 mile OCIs are too long. I have my oil changed between 2500 and 3000 miles. I do not change my own oil anymore because I hate it after doing so many oil changes throughout my career. Others may disagree with me. Again, this is my personal opinion. I hope this is helpful information for you.

Enjoy your new truck! 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, L Morgan said:

@L Morgan,Dexos is a specification/license and not an oil. Part of those specifications are "Energy Conserving", which means lowest possible HTHS viscosity and some hints of friction reducing chemistries. Boron, Moly etc. It has to meet a slightly tighter specification for cleanliness and an ever so small reduction in NOAK, or evaporative losses. If SAE and ILSAC are the floor the ladder sits on, Dexos is one rung up. It is formulated toward fuel economy and OCI lengths by regulation for minimizing waste oil. Both run counter to longevity. 

@Bikerjon is dead on. If you choose to use a licensed oil, change it as he recommended and keep the tune as sharp as a razor. There is NO, ZERO, ZIP, Nada, room for error. Short OCI's will leverage this chemistry. He's seen the inside of a few. Trust that experience. It's hard to come by and expensive to learn on your own.  

Now that the table is set, to your question I highlighted above in the quote. More directly, no there is nothing wrong with it IF you understand what you're using and use it appropriately. 

Now having said all the previous, many ignore these warnings and proceed and a few even have success doing it. If success is measured by getting it past the warranty and into the hands of the next owner. Valvoline ran a motor on that stuff to 500K miles, in a cell on a rolling road with little issue. We don't drive dyno's. 😉 

Enjoy your new truck. 

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Grumpy Bear said:

@L Morgan,Dexos is a specification/license and not an oil. Part of those specifications are "Energy Conserving", which means lowest possible HTHS viscosity and some hints of friction reducing chemistries. Boron, Moly etc. It has to meet a slightly tighter specification for cleanliness and an ever so small reduction in NOAH, or evaporative losses. If SAE and ILSAC are the floor the ladder sits on, Dexos is one rung up. It is formulated toward fuel economy and OCI lengths by regulation for minimizing waste oil. Both run counter to longevity. 

@Bikerjon is dead on. If you choose to use a licensed oil, change it as he recommended and keep the tune as sharp as a razor. There is NO, ZERO, ZIP, Nada, room for error. Short OCI's will leverage this chemistry. He's seen the inside of a few. Trust that experience. It's hard to come by and expensive to learn on your own.  

Now that the table is set, to your question I highlighted above in the quote. More directly, no there is nothing wrong with it IF you understand what you're using and use it appropriately. 

Now having said all the previous, many ignore these warnings and proceed and a few even have success doing it. If success is measured by getting it past the warranty and into the hands of the next owner. Valvoline ran a motor on that stuff to 500K miles, in a cell on a rolling road with little issue. We don't drive dyno's. 😉 

Enjoy your new truck. 

So I have always changed my oil (all at the dealer until 25k miles) every ~5-6k miles. (really only the first one I did at 6k because I was driving 1200 miles a week and didn't get to the dealer that one weekend I was at home) I had an issue. Multiple now. Is it the oil? Do I need to be doing this at 3k with 0-30? 5-30 full syn? At this point, I just want to stay running. I don't want a global B truck, I don't like super cruise because it's too limited. So what do I change to keep this thing running. 

I'm not arguing, I'm not an oil expert. I don't know. I want to keep my truck and keep it on the road and that's proving to be a challenge *for me*. I would be shocked if anyone classified my driving as severe service. I think I put 6k miles on it last year with 90% being hwy miles and the other being 60 miles r/t to the airport and back every week. I'm open to answers/solutions.