What are the odds of lifter failure on 2023s

8 hours ago, bwoodsmn said:

...Is your opinion.  There is no collaborative evidence that lines up with that - Bad lifter springs and lifters have failed in engines with and without DFM, those parts are the contributing factor, not DFM.  But, your popular yet unproven opinion sells lots of Pulsars and gives false security to those of you seeking out trucks that shipped without the DFM chip.  

Somewhere in my research on this there is a TSB, Service Bulletin, or training material that states a mis-timed switching of DFM will likely result in bent pushrod.  Therefore, it is a FACT that switching is ONE cause of pushrod/lifter failure.  Eliminate the switching (i.e. Pulsar) and eliminate a cause.   

Yes the DFM lifters themselves can still by other causes fail but you have reduced the odds.  Also, if you never energize solenoids supplying oil to the lifters through DFM (which is how I understand they work), they remain locked together and the pins/springs that travel in/out to lock them together are unlikely to fail.  They function just like a traditional  lifter all of the time, which have their own failure mechanisms.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, bwoodsmn said:

...Is your opinion.  There is no collaborative evidence that lines up with that - Bad lifter springs and lifters have failed in engines with and without DFM, those parts are the contributing factor, not DFM.  But, your popular yet unproven opinion sells lots of Pulsars and gives false security to those of you seeking out trucks that shipped without the DFM chip.  

Anything can happen sure. I've read tons of posts on many groups and forums and haven't heard of a lifter failure with DFM deactivated. My good friend is the the service Mgr. and he hasn't seen any DFM delete engines come in with a failure yet. Just saying...

Edited by mafd2

45 minutes ago, mafd2 said:

Anything can happen sure. I've read tons of posts on many groups and forums and haven't heard of a lifter failure with DFM deactivated. My good friend is the the service Mgr. and he hasn't seen any DFM delete engines come in with a failure yet. Just saying...

I'm sure there are 100's of those deactivated trucks being serviced by your buddy's dealealership...... And do you think he'd actually see them? For what? Warranty? Of the total production of vehicles with it, what percentage are actually being modified? Maybe, 0.1%?

Edited by Jus Cruisin

Maybe this will ease your mind I found this info a long time agoThe spring manufacturer was using an incorrect set of parameters when Quality controlling the springs. The parameters were broader than what GM spec'd. Build dates for the motors not the truck were September 1 2020 to March 31 2021 of the effected engines.

43 minutes ago, Jus Cruisin said:

I'm sure there are 100's of those deactivated trucks being serviced by your buddy's dealealership...... And do you think he'd actually see them? For what? Warranty? Of the total production of vehicles with it, what percentage are actually being modified? Maybe, 0.1%?

I can say is he doesn't stay in an office all day. He's out making rounds in the shop and if there were any failures with DFM deactivated, he'd know.  Like I said, anything can happen with any. Most failures were between '19-'21 and even  pre T1's.  I surmise there's a greater chance of lifter failure with DFM than without. AFM/DFM is junk and GM knows it. Decimal percent when you do the math and it comes out to be in the millions of trucks that have engine failure due to AFM/DFM.  Junk technology driven by government demands. Trump on one issue when it came to this topic and he saw the writing on the wall and new that it would do harm more than good and decided to roll back the” ever changing” emissions standards that most auto and even rail manufacturers could not keep up with. If Biden had any common sense, he would have left it alone and there would be plenty of new vehicles in the parking lots of dealerships.  I'm getting better mileage on my refresh without DFM than my '19 with it. Yes, believe it or not.

• 1 month later...

When I researched my recently acquired Odyssey. Through the forums of Odyssey owners there’s some problems with their cylinder deactivation. Enough there’s a device to turn it off. It’s very smooth I’ll leave it on and half the recommended oil changes. 

It's really a matter of when they will fail.  The lifter design is pretty similar to when the AFM/DOD debuted on trucks in 2007.  Eventually one will collapse and lock up.

Now the fact that 21 was a really bad year for lifter problems is sort of an abberation and a supplier defect issue.  Many people have these trucks for many miles without problems.  I wouldn't worry about that too much inside of the powertrain warranty. 

Even with AFM disabled people have had lifters fail on them.  Theoretically it should lower the risk because the lifters aren't being collapsed regularly..... but the lifters can still fail and do.  Previous generations trucks with Range devices has shown that.  Only way to get rid of the risk 100% is to get a AFM/DFM delete kit. 

• 1 year later...

I have a 2019 5.3 L84 and I have had three warnings pop up since I bought the truck with 9k miles on it. Traction control, service parking brake and ECS would come on every once in a while. At one point the truck was in the shop for over a month. They said it was the battery and changed it out. It finally stopped for a few months then started again. I was on my way back to Idaho from Texas hauling my camper 6 hours into the 30hr drive when the trans went to 5k rpm out of no where and the truck jerked hard to the left and there were those 3 lights again (Yes the whole trip I was paying attention to my oil pressure and temps on all equipment). Luckily I didn’t wreck and got the vehicle stopped to look over every thing but before I did come to a complete stop the trans temp started climbing from 180 all day with weather being upwards of 106 to 205 quicklyCouldn’t find anything wrong just a knocking in the motor. My brother had a code reader so we plugged it in and it only said #7 cylinder misfire. Changed plugs and wires and still the same thing. Checked the coil packs and all good. The push rod ended up being bent lifter was stuck and the other lifter for #7 had a flat spot on the roller and camshaft has a 1/8” worn spot on the lobe

18 hours ago, Patrick B said:

I have a 2019 5.3 L84 and I have had three warnings pop up since I bought the truck with 9k miles on it. Traction control, service parking brake and ECS would come on every once in a while. At one point the truck was in the shop for over a month. They said it was the battery and changed it out. It finally stopped for a few months then started again. I was on my way back to Idaho from Texas hauling my camper 6 hours into the 30hr drive when the trans went to 5k rpm out of no where and the truck jerked hard to the left and there were those 3 lights again (Yes the whole trip I was paying attention to my oil pressure and temps on all equipment). Luckily I didn’t wreck and got the vehicle stopped to look over every thing but before I did come to a complete stop the trans temp started climbing from 180 all day with weather being upwards of 106 to 205 quicklyCouldn’t find anything wrong just a knocking in the motor. My brother had a code reader so we plugged it in and it only said #7 cylinder misfire. Changed plugs and wires and still the same thing. Checked the coil packs and all good. The push rod ended up being bent lifter was stuck and the other lifter for #7 had a flat spot on the roller and camshaft has a 1/8” worn spot on the lobe

Our team regrets to hear of these ongoing concerns you are facing with your vehicle. So, we may learn more and best assist, please send us an email to [email protected]. Make sure to include your Username and Forum name in the subject line with additional details. We look forward to hearing from you. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2024 at 1:57 PM, GMCustomerService said:

Our team regrets to hear of these ongoing concerns you are facing with your vehicle. So, we may learn more and best assist, please send us an email to [email protected]. Make sure to include your Username and Forum name in the subject line with additional details. We look forward to hearing from you. 

If GM actually cared, they would fix the issue.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/7/2023 at 11:30 AM, jaxcam02 said:

Out of the total production of vehicles, only a small percentage of us ever join an online forum, an even smaller percentage of us on forums experience lifter failure. Guess who posts online more about lifters. People who are posting about how their lifters are going strong? OR People who have experienced lifter failure? People who post about lifter failure are a very loud super small minority. The likelihood a vehicle you purchase has lifter failure in its lifetime due to DFM/DOD is infinitesimally small and I have never let it deter me from purchasing any of my 5 2015+ GM vehicles.

i have a 2018 Silverado LT TexasEdition 4x4 with the 5.3... 104k on the clock. has had 2 rounds of lifter failure. once at 27k and another at just under 78k. only thing keeping me from being outa pocket second round was an extended warranty. i know nine (including myself) people who have owned one of these trucks with either the 5.3 or the 6.2. seven have had lifter failure at one point or another. myself and one other have had it happen twice. i may be dealing with a small sample pool in the grand scheme of things, but it lends itself to more than just infinitesimally small probability. not arguing, just offering the data i know to be fact.

12 hours ago, anthonymason59223051 said:

i have a 2018 Silverado LT TexasEdition 4x4 with the 5.3... 104k on the clock. has had 2 rounds of lifter failure. once at 27k and another at just under 78k. only thing keeping me from being outa pocket second round was an extended warranty. i know nine (including myself) people who have owned one of these trucks with either the 5.3 or the 6.2. seven have had lifter failure at one point or another. myself and one other have had it happen twice. i may be dealing with a small sample pool in the grand scheme of things, but it lends itself to more than just infinitesimally small probability. not arguing, just offering the data i know to be fact.

These lifters need regular oil changes. Consistent and WITH THE RIGHT TYPE. They do produce a lot of trucks...but the issues will be lower than the total volume. 

The other issue is driving style without a doubt. 

35 minutes ago, ScathaTheWorm said:

These lifters need regular oil changes. Consistent and WITH THE RIGHT TYPE. They do produce a lot of trucks...but the issues will be lower than the total volume. 

The other issue is driving style without a doubt. 

There seems to be enough to notice. I don’t know anyone with a problem who has a vehicle with cylinder deactivation. It’s worrisome enough I passed on a couple really clean good used GMs with it in favor of keeping my avalanche.