What are the odds of lifter failure on 2023s

Hey friends -- I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a 23 Sierra SLT (5.3 motor) but some of the known engine problems are making me nervous.  Does anyone have insight as to what percentage of the 5.3 engines will end up in the shop with premature lifter failure?

Out of the total production of vehicles, only a small percentage of us ever join an online forum, an even smaller percentage of us on forums experience lifter failure. Guess who posts online more about lifters. People who are posting about how their lifters are going strong? OR People who have experienced lifter failure? People who post about lifter failure are a very loud super small minority. The likelihood a vehicle you purchase has lifter failure in its lifetime due to DFM/DOD is infinitesimally small and I have never let it deter me from purchasing any of my 5 2015+ GM vehicles.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

DFM is the contributing factor to lifter failures.  Check if the 5.3 has DFM.  I ordered My 2022 in Dec. of 2021, got it in March of 2022 and it didn't have DFM. Doesn't sound like a helicopter with performance exhaust. 

They all have DFM.  GM no longer mentions it on the window stickers but they make no 5.3L or 6.2L engines in the truck w/o it.   Some it may come disabled but all the components exist in the engine, just does not have the ECM to drive them

L84 EcoTec3 5.3L V8 VVT DI DFM ENGINE SPECIFICATIONS

Edited by elcamino
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would not worry about this issue at all. IMHO GM makes the best pickup trucks in the world. I have been driving Chevy and GMC trucks for over 30 years. All brands have some issues or failures (including motorcycles). I would go ahead and order the new GMC. Disable the DFM when you take delivery.

The DFM cannot be disabled. Disabling DFM will void the power-train warranty.

09-00-89-016G: Warranty Administration – Labor Operation 0600014 – Suspected Tampering or Vehicle Modifications 

Tampering is defined as causing intentional modification to a vehicle or vehicle components and is not covered under the terms of the GM New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Tampering can include, but is not limited to:

·        inducing an electrical component and/or system failures

·        disconnecting wires or connectors

·        intentional contamination of fluids

Non-GM vehicle modifications include, but are not limited to:

·        installation of non-GM accessories

·        installation of suspension lowering or lift kits

·        installation of aftermarket tires and/or wheels

·        installation of “power-up chip” and/or non-GM control module calibrations.

Edited by elcamino

On 2/8/2023 at 11:53 AM, mafd2 said:

DFM is the contributing factor to lifter failures.  Check if the 5.3 has DFM.  I ordered My 2022 in Dec. of 2021, got it in March of 2022 and it didn't have DFM. Doesn't sound like a helicopter with performance exhaust. 

It's all back now. You just got one of them during the chip shortage.

On 2/8/2023 at 11:53 AM, mafd2 said:

You got a truck without DFM software/hardware installed. You still have an engine with all the DFM components, including the DFM lifters.

On 2/9/2023 at 2:36 PM, jaxcam02 said:

You got a truck without DFM software/hardware installed. You still have an engine with all the DFM components, including the DFM lifters.

Correct, but I think the lifter problem comes from DFM activations.  I've kept up with other lifter threads and haven't heard of any failures from one that has DFM deactivated;  yet that is.

On 2/8/2023 at 10:53 AM, mafd2 said:

DFM is the contributing factor to lifter failures.  

...Is your opinion.  There is no collaborative evidence that lines up with that - Bad lifter springs and lifters have failed in engines with and without DFM, those parts are the contributing factor, not DFM.  But, your popular yet unproven opinion sells lots of Pulsars and gives false security to those of you seeking out trucks that shipped without the DFM chip.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bwoodsmn said:

...Is your opinion.  There is no collaborative evidence that lines up with that - Bad lifter springs and lifters have failed in engines with and without DFM, those parts are the contributing factor, not DFM.  But, your popular yet unproven opinion sells lots of Pulsars and gives false security to those of you seeking out trucks that shipped without the DFM chip.  

You’re asking equipment to do more. Adding more parts to make it happen. Requiring more maintenance to keep it happy. So naturally raising the odds for failure. That’s the facts jack. It doesn’t take much research to find those facts.

• Thanks 1