2022 1500 Wheel Shake and Vibration, and Towing Issue

14 hours ago, MrLeadFoot said:

Thank you so much for posting this. Like you, I wasn't able to drive my truck before buying it, although I had driven others. And, like you, I wanted one with all options. Perhaps this only happens with fully loaded models, I don't know, but it's becoming obviously apparent that there is a serious quality control issue, and GM sucks for not taking care of us. For example, instead of saying it's within spec, I don't see how hard it would be to swap out shocks and wheels, to at least try to those rule out as potential causes. The two dealerships I went to wouldn't even put 20" rims just to see. One of them did swap a complete set of 22", but now, I know why they didn't try 20". They probably know that they drive so much better with 20" wheels on them.

Aside from the vibration issue, I even have rust on the ends of the pivot shafts of my powersteps that I've been told is normal. Really? This is a California car, for God's sake, that doesn't see snow or salt, thr tuck has 4k miles on it, with that rust being there since day one at 9 miles! GM won't do anything about it, even though they have a corrosion warranty.

I don't blame you for ordering that Ford. I contacted a lemon law attorney when I had 1500 miles on the truck. They said they've seen so many of these cases, and they keep telling me I should move forward with the suit. But, I've been dragging my feet because I was hoping GM would work with me to figure this out and fix it. But, hearing your story on a truck that's 2 years older tells me they won't. FWIW, I've been a GM guy forever, as you can see by my signature. But, this has me rethinking my loyalty now because they don't seem to care about their customers as much as they used to, which is sad.

The 2017 I traded almost talked me out of GM vehicles all together.  It was a 6.2 Denali and the 8 speed transmission was the worst piece of s*** I have ever driven as the miles piled on(32k when I traded it).   Fast forward, I have had my truck almost 3.5 years and I too have rust on the ends of the power step pins.  I have had to lube them once a year for some squeaking here and there but overall I cant complain about the steps other then them being flush with the door sills.  My AMP steps on another truck offered a much better step for getting in(not really for me, for my grandmother when we go to dinner).  Every truck brand has issues, Ford, RAM, Toyota, etc so you have to pick your poison.  It is frustrating GM's flagship truck rides horrible but it sounds like the issues aren't happening to all of us.  Will I buy another GM someday?  I would say probably but my test drive is going to be an hour minimum.  I made the mistake of sitting in the new Gen3 Raptor and taking it for a "spirited" hour test drive, the result is I placed an order haha.  Good luck, they make these trucks everyday so going through the Lemon process might yield a more pleasurable truck to drive.

Yes. It is a 6.2 optioned out like yours. My third Denali. I guess I just "got lucky". The other ones were good too. Maybe I've got a dead butt and can't feel the vibrations. 

On 4/19/2023 at 6:54 AM, smit303 said:

Yes. It is a 6.2 optioned out like yours. My third Denali. I guess I just "got lucky". The other ones were good too. Maybe I've got a dead butt and can't feel the vibrations. 

If I let my left leg rest against the door, or rest my arm on the top of the door panel, while driving, the vibration ends up feeling more like shaking on longer rides. I have to make sure my knee does not touch the door, and try not to use the armrest or rest my arm on top of the door panel. Do you feel any of that in the body of your truck?

On 4/23/2023 at 7:08 AM, smit303 said:

No. I do not. It sounds like a drivetrain issue. I sure hope you get it worked out.

They say it's "within spec". The facts that they have taken that stance, and that you don't have the shake/vibration in the body  makes me think I may indeed have a lemon.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I've held off on pursuing Lemon Law, for now. Found brand-new stock 20" Denali rims and tires from someone who "upgraded" to 22", and what a difference in ride (for the better). Slight vibration is still there at normal highway speeds, and sometimes I think it's gone, but it always returns at some point. I am starting to think it's like you said - tranference into the cabin. 85mph and above is smooth as butter, but I can't afford the gas to always be driving like that, let alone the fines for speeding! I do, however, feel that same vibration "frequency" at idle, too, although less of it because I am not moving. When Autostop turns of motor that vibration is gone, so I know the motor contributes somehow. I think all little vibrations add up, which is why they can't find it, and call it "normal". With so many reports of this, I'm convinced GM just isn't good enough to be able to make a smooth riding truck. Perhaps those that don't report such a problem just aren't as sensitive to the "frequency" of the vibration as others like us. For example, my son says it rides "so smooth". And, another friend of mine who's been driving the 2500 series says, "I can feel the suspension fighting the road, like it's supposed to, but it sure drives much smoother than my 2500." FWIW, I drove a comparable new Ford, and it, too, had vibrations, but of a different sort - those actually felt like tire problems. I will say that although it is not completely gone, I've become a bit more numb to it now that I have 10,000 miles on it and towed my bass boat regularly over the summer. Is it settling, or am I just getting used to it? I do know this: whether or not I accept it, lemon law it, or sell it, I will never, ever again by a 1500 truck from GM, and I will always advise anyone against buying one. I would consider 2500 and even a Yukon XL/Suburban, but I would make sure to take an extended demo and drive the hell out of it before  considering such a purchase.

Got to take to dealer for pinion seal leak i found so will start the process of them trying to diagnois my vibration at highway speeds, i did do more research and see there is a class action lawsuit in the works for 2021 and older, and reading the tsb's and all the info i could find providing the dealer can't come up with anything i will probably order a steel driveshaft and see if that changes anything as it is listed as GM aluminum driveshafts may be the culprit/part of the problem for the T1 and older. 

https://www.tsbsearch.com/GMC/PI1354I

• 2 weeks later...

Just completed my first long drive. That vibration is definitely still there, even on super smooth asphalt, and really takes its toll on your body on a long drive. I did notice that once I got off the freeway and onto city streets, it's way better at city driving speeds. I've never been so happy to drive at 30mph. I think it's driveline issue. I'm making the 8 hour drive home again tomorrow. Will putting it in neutral at 80mph help me rule anything out?

Edited by MrLeadFoot

not really imo as everything is still rotating i suppose the engine rpm would come down to idle is all but everything behind the engine is basically still spinning.

i installed my 20" studded snow tires a week ago and was on interstate today and could not tell because of the studs if the vibration was there at 70, i did not feel it but a lot of noise/transfer from studs were not the smooth quiet of A/S tires.

• 1 month later...

Update:

Dealer could not duplicate, drove 14 miles no abnormal vibrations or noises found. did say that 2 of my tires were wearing "abnormally"  but doesn't say what two. I do see very slight edge wear on fronts but that doesn't cause rear vibration and has done for several thousand miles with these tires/wheels on, rotated 3 times and roadforced balanced as many it never changed or moved.  I will probably order 4 new tires of a different brand over next few months to have the summer setup ready for a trip in mid march, until then the studded snows go back on tomorrow for the 6-12 inches of snow inbound.

fyi the pinion seal leak was excess grease from manufacturing process that flung after warmed, and i agree as left no puddle just spots under truck.

truck has 19k miles got the wheel tire setup installed 9 months ago probably 15k miles ago. OEM 22 bright chrome with Michelin defender ltx m/s.  

Posted (edited)

My update:

Took my truck in for something else, and had them check vibration again. They actually crawled under it to look at the slight "dent" in my driveshaft opposite of where the weight is, and told me that it wasn't a dent, and is a result of the casting process, and that it's fine (although they didn't try to balance it). They also said that if you put a mere 1/4 oz. tire weight on the driveshaft, it would wobble so hard you'd feel it in your teeth at all speeds. They wrote on the R.O that they could not duplicate concern, and that because vehicle does not have the wheels it's supposed to have on it (22"), it could cause the vibration, even though they are the stock Denali 20" rims, and they knew I was going to put them on. Probably did that to cover their ass.

Because the stock 20" Bridgestone tire is more AT than street, compared to the stock 22" Bridgestone which is more street than AT, the 20" wheels lose grip way more easily on wet roads. It gets wet here in the winter, so I just put the 22" back on for the wet weather. I immediately noticed that there is much more vibration with the 22" wheels on it at normal highway speeds than the 20". I'm not talking about feeling more of the road, I'm talking about something that feels like out of balanced tires/wheels. That said, remember that I've had a total of twelve new tires and 4 new rims previously swapped out when they were initially trying to figure this out. At least it confirms for me that the 20" do indeed feel smoother, even though the 20" model tires don't handle as good as the 22" model tires on the street

But, now that I've had a real chance to compare wheels, I think there is something definitely wrong with the 22" wheel setup on my truck. All eight 22" rims and twelve tires they've tried result in shaking between 62 and 82mph, whereas 20" does not do that as badly. Makes me wonder if Bridgestone (reglardess of tire model) just does not work on this truck, but I shouldn't have to go try different tires on an $80k vehicle. Maybe that's why others have said go Michelin and don't look back. I will say that it seems like when it's cold the vibration is not there, which brought up thoughts that tires when harder due to getting hotter causes the issue, so I've been running them 3-5 lbs. low, but I also wonder if it's actually motor-related, too, because I notice that when I take my foot off the gas when crusing at about 75mph, the vibration is slightly less. When I just barely touch the accelerator, vibration increases slightly (only someone looking for it would notice, but all the vibrations add up). GM should try to work with me, but of course they won't. I think I may have no choice but to fight via lemon law, and I'm close to pulling that trigger.

Edited by MrLeadFoot
  • Sad 1