2022 1500 Wheel Shake and Vibration, and Towing Issue

First drive after delivery of a 6.2L Denali with 22" wheels to my door at 9 miles, I noticed a very rough ride along with what felt like wheel vibration. Called dealer and was told to wait until 500 miles, which I did. Took it in, and they road-force balanced it. Two bad tires were replaced.

While the ride improved, there was still some shaking that could be felt in your legs and seat. Took it back again, and they swapped for a completely new set of wheels and tires off another new truck. Shaking actually feels worse.

Whats wrong? Could it be the Bridgestone Alenzas themselves? If so, has anyone else had this and definitely resolved this with set of Michelin or something? After spending $70k+, I don't want to pay for new tires only to find that's not the problem. 

Could it be the 22" wheel design itself? I'm taking it back to the dealer and wondering if swapping for the 20" setup will reveal something like that.

Put my bass boat on it to see how it it would ride and it's very jarring on any bump and jostles you around in your seat even on smooth asphalt freeway. I seriously can't even imagine a road trip with my boat, let alone trying to tow something heavy. My 2000 Suburban, also with electronic shocks, has 240,000 miles on it and rides way nicer than this truck, loaded and unloaded, and that's not how it's supposed to be! The whole reason I bought this truck was to have a better towing experience with my boat!

Does everyone else have this same shaking ride and do these 1500 Denalis just suck at towing?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Edited by MrLeadFoot
  • Sad 1

• MrLeadFoot changed the title to 2022 1500 Wheel Shake and Vibration, and Towing Issue

Just my opinion, but look at the large sidewall of the tires on your Suburban and compare them to the tiny sidewall on your new Denali. The sidewall plays a huge role in soaking up those road surface inequalities.  I don’t really understand why anyone would want over an 18” rim on a truck, and that is pushing the comfort limit at 18”…but I know, the larger wheels “look better”…for some reason.

• Like 3

I appreciate your reply, but I'm not so sure the shaking and vibration that I'm felling is from a lower sidewall. I understand that bumps would be more felt with a lower sidewall, such as going over concrete freeway joins and such, but the truck shouldn't shake for vibration. For reference, I have a Corvette with 45 sidewalls and while it feels bumps, it does not shake. 

Edited by MrLeadFoot

22 hours ago, MrLeadFoot said:

First drive after delivery of a 6.2L Denali with 22" wheels to my door at 9 miles, I noticed a very rough ride along with what felt like wheel vibration. Called dealer and was told to wait until 500 miles, which I did. Took it in, and they road-force balanced it. Two bad tires were replaced.

While the ride improved, there was still some shaking that could be felt in your legs and seat. Took it back again, and they swapped for a completely new set of wheels and tires off another new truck. Shaking actually feels worse.

Whats wrong? Could it be the Bridgestone Alenzas themselves? If so, has anyone else had this and definitely resolved this with set of Michelin or something? After spending $70k+, I don't want to pay for new tires only to find that's not the problem. 

Could it be the 22" wheel design itself? I'm taking it back to the dealer and wondering if swapping for the 20" setup will reveal something like that.

Put my bass boat on it to see how it it would ride and it's very jarring on any bump and jostles you around in your seat even on smooth asphalt freeway. I seriously can't even imagine a road trip with my boat, let alone trying to tow something heavy. My 2000 Suburban, also with electronic shocks, has 240,000 miles on it and rides way nicer than this truck, loaded and unloaded, and that's not how it's supposed to be! The whole reason I bought this truck was to have a better towing experience with my boat!

Does everyone else have this same shaking ride and do these 1500 Denalis just suck at towing?

As said above your problem with the rough ride is the tires, 22" wheels have a low profile tire so there is no give to the tire when hitting bumps in the road. Small sidewall tires have a very stiff sidewall compared to a 17 or 18" tire that have a taller sidewall so your problem is the rim size, going to a 20" wheel will improve some but not enough really to notice but going to a 17 or 18" rim with the taller sidewall it will be like night and day improvement.

When we bought our 2020 Equinox as a 3rd vehicle my wife wanted to test drive one that had the big rim small sidewall tire and I told her its going to ride rough as hell but she wanted to anyway during the drive she said your right its driving like a go-cart then we got into the other one with the standard rims and taller sidewall tires she was happy like riding on a cloud.

Not that there's anything wrong with Bilstein. They custom-made some shocks for me once for my C4 Vette, and they were awesome. But, what you suggest would mean removing/disabling the entire adpative ride comtrol system. Is that what you are saying? But, what about the vibration?

Edited by MrLeadFoot

On 12/18/2022 at 11:28 AM, MrLeadFoot said:

Do you have a picture of the wheel the truck came with originally?  Were they the standard 22 inch wheel or were they a GM accessory 22 inch wheel that was dealer installed on the truck?

As for overall ride, you've come from a Suburban that probably had 70 or 75 series tires on a 16 inch wheel.  Lots of sidewall to absorb bumps compared to the 50 series tires they use on the 22 inch wheels.  

Edited by newdude

I understand bumps, but I don't think they should vibrate/shake like a bad tire which seems to also be accentuated when my boat is in tow. Also, the model/trim is rated to tow 8900 lbs. No way I see that can happen without you shaking your kidneys out.

The "22-inch Painted Aluminum wheels with Machining and Bright Chrome inserts" come with the Denali Reserve Package. You cannot get the package without them. Here's a link:

https://www.gmc.com/trucks/sierra/1500/sle-elevation-slt/build-and-price/wheels

As an aside, like you, I wanted the Silver, which is being discontinued after 2022. Beautiful truck that doesn't do what it's supposed to do. Very sad.

Edited by MrLeadFoot

'22 Refreshed Denali here with the 22" LPO snowflake wheels and Bridgestone Alenzas.  I don't have any of the shaking issues you describe.  I have about 3500 miles on it so far.  Can you isolate whether it is the front or rear shaking?  Maybe ask them to swap the tires to a different brand like the Michelin Defender LTX m/s?

When I first took it in, they said they can't swap tire brands. They've swapped out bad tires, and even swapped a different set of rims and tires from another truck, and the shaking persists, but at a different speed range now, which makes me still suspect tires. I understand that it could also be anything from driveshaft to brakes, but each time they've done something with tires and wheels the vibration/shaking seems to change, and they haven't said anything about checking anything else, to date. I have another appointment tomorrow to again ride with a technician, and I'm going to ask them swap 20" wheels, which also have a different model tire, onto the truck. I think that by doing this we take the 22" rims and Alenzas out of the equation, and we'll know for sure if it's wheel-related or something else on the truck itself.

SPASierra, have you towed anything with yours yet? I also have a '22 referesh.

Edited by MrLeadFoot

I have a 22 refreshed Denali with the 22 inch wheels and Alenza's. I tow a Ranger Z519 with a 225 Mercury. I have no vibrations, shaking etc. It tows smooth as glass. No issues with or without the boat . I traded in a 2019 Sierra Denali with 22 inch Alenzas. No issues with that either. I hope you find a solution.

I don't think 22 inch wheels are as bad feeling as some people think. I've had 18's, 20's, 22's through the years. Not much difference in my opinion.

Edited by smit303

1 hour ago, smit303 said:

I have a 22 refreshed Denali with the 22 inch wheels and Alenza's. I tow a Ranger Z519 with a 225 Mercury. I have no vibrations, shaking etc. It tows smooth as glass. No issues with or without the boat . I traded in a 2019 Sierra Denali with 22 inch Alenzas. No issues with that either. I hope you find a solution.

I don't think 22 inch wheels are as bad feeling as some people think. I've had 18's, 20's, 22's through the years. Not much difference in my opinion.

Thank you SO much for posting that. At leas, now I know that it really might be something wrong with my specific vehicle and that they are all not like that.

Edited by MrLeadFoot

The shaking is likely a different issue from the ride quality. I would think swapping a different set of wheels and tires would alleviate the shaking IF it was the wheels. It suggests you have a different issue in the driveline. 

Personally, I would make sure to speak to the service manager from here on out and ask him to get GM technical services in on the conversation. When you said the dealer told you to wait 500 miles it instantly sets a red flag that they dont know what theyre doing. Getting GM involved also starts setting a paper trail in motion. Shaking never gets better by itself, it only gets worse. 

Once that issue is resolved you could then address the ride quality but you may not have anything to stand on running 22's

Edited by 64BAwagon
spellin