Transfer Case Failure

Hi all!

Looking for a little info concerning the transfer case on my 2010 Silverado 4.8L engine with manual shift 4 x 4

my transfer case is noisy and I have difficulty shifting. 

are all manual shift transfer cases the same for the 2010 model. 

if not, how do I know if a used transfer from a donor truck will fit my application?

There should be a tag somewhere on the back 1/2 of the TC, with the model number.  IDK much about the specifics of TC's after the GMT800's, but you most likely want one from a 1500, as 2500/3500 will use a heavier duty one.  I also don't know if GM uses different TC's for different engine/transmission packages on the 1500...

On 11/23/2022 at 2:37 PM, JeremyJ said:

Hi all!

Looking for a little info concerning the transfer case on my 2010 Silverado 4.8L engine with manual shift 4 x 4

my transfer case is noisy and I have difficulty shifting. 

are all manual shift transfer cases the same for the 2010 model. 

if not, how do I know if a used transfer from a donor truck will fit my application?

Manual floor shift is the MP1222 transfer case, would come in an 07-13 truck with a 4 speed is the one you want.  Transfer case for the 4L60 has a 27 tooth input spline.  The 6 speed mated cases are 32 tooth spline so can't use one of those. 

You should be able to get one from an 07-13 V6, an 07-13 4.8 and possibly an 07-09 5.3 as long as its a 4 speed transmission truck.  

Magna (who makes the cases) made many internal changes during 07-13 but as far as sensors/electronics go those years, no changes.  If you ever needed parts for the new one you put in, try and grab the VIN for the truck.    

If you find an 07 case, it has to be the new body not a classic.  

Edited by newdude