2015 Silverado Running Warm

Back in May my 2015 Silverado dropped a lifter. I sent it to a shop and had a BTR stage 2 cam installed and since I've gotten it back it has had overheating problems. It had slight overheating problems before but never over 215 F-220 F. Fans do come on with the AC in low and once it starts getting warm they kick on in high. My issue now is its had a new water pump, temp sensor and thermostat put in and it runs 220F to 230F regularly. planning on buying a radiator before long and giving that a shot. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

truck.heic

Edited by 15SilveradoZ71

I can't view the video but my truck consistently runs at 210-214 degrees with a OEM thermostat. It will spike to 220-230 under heavy load and long full throttle runs and drop straight back down to normal.

You could drill a small hole in the thermostat to move more water instead of buying a lower temp thermostat or replacing the radiator.

• Like 1

Thank you guys both for the reply! The shop that it was at which I ended up taking the truck from the shop after a two week cam job turned into a 3 month deal and every time I was told it would be ready another issue would come up and it would sit for weeks. The shop ended up putting a 195 thermostat in it. Which I swapped out for a 160 by mishimoto and I'm pretty sure it failed this afternoon cause my truck shot up to 260. The truck was tuned and does not have any codes. I went to the auto parts store and bought a radiator this afternoon which I am installing after my truck cools off. I am also putting the 195 thermostat back in. will update if that fixes issues. Appreciate the help and advice if anyone has any. 

5 hours ago, 15SilveradoZ71 said:

Thank you guys both for the reply! The shop that it was at which I ended up taking the truck from the shop after a two week cam job turned into a 3 month deal and every time I was told it would be ready another issue would come up and it would sit for weeks. The shop ended up putting a 195 thermostat in it. Which I swapped out for a 160 by mishimoto and I'm pretty sure it failed this afternoon cause my truck shot up to 260. The truck was tuned and does not have any codes. I went to the auto parts store and bought a radiator this afternoon which I am installing after my truck cools off. I am also putting the 195 thermostat back in. will update if that fixes issues. Appreciate the help and advice if anyone has any. 

Shot in the dark, there was just a post a couple of days ago where a member was having over heating problems.

He had taken the heads off to fix a failed lifter, and while he was putting it back together, put the head gaskets on in the wrong direction covering water passages causing the OH problem.

if buying a radiator, get the 6.2L or  the tow package option radiator, the 5.3 radiator sucks if you have power adders and a tune w/PE activated, it will overheat, because its made for 300hp V6.. it has no business in these 5.3 trucks if you tow or drive like an adrenaline junkie

and a katec 175 stat.   dont use the 160 stat. unless your boosted

ask your tuner to bring the fans to the 195 degrees on setting..  i've ran this set up in canada in winter, no issues.

Edited by pokismoki