Lifter Failure on New 2022 Sierra 1500 AT4 Limited 6.2

9 hours ago, PacksAWallop said:

Yeah, I've been really happy with the way the dealership has treated me on this.  Haven't heard from GM direct yet, but not sure what I would need from them anymore at this point?

I’m glad your dealership is treating you well.  My dealership also treated me very well back in 2016 when I had a Sierra with the known “Chevy Shake”.  Was absolutely horrible to drive above 50 mph.   They worked on it for about 5-6 months.  Couldn’t fix it. Bought it back and got me into a 2017 that was flawless.  Good luck and hopefully they fix the entire engine and not just one side.  Which is ridiculous if you ask me, especially with the stupid prices they are getting for trucks now a days.  

Got the truck back from the dealer.  Put less then 200 miles on it and it's having the same symptoms it did before it failed the first time.  Thinking it will drop another new lifter on the way home from work today.  

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, PacksAWallop said:

Got the truck back from the dealer.  Put less then 200 miles on it and it's having the same symptoms it did before it failed the first time.  Thinking it will drop another new lifter on the way home from work today.  

omg this suck bad, GM having serious problem with this issue 

1 hour ago, John813 said:

Well, that's annoying. They replaced all the components and it's acting up. Makes me wonder if it went bad that fast or install error? 

More bad parts, or maybe something else defective in the block?

Mechanic at the dealership said it could potentially be a problem with the actuators that they use to control the lifters for DFM.  The problem is that they're so difficult to repair/replace that GM doesn't allow them to even touch them unless they're certain that is what's causing the problem.  GM Customer Service is about useless at this point, told me the truck would have to fail 2 more times for them to take any meaningful action besides just pointing me back to the dealership for repairs/diagnosis.  They want me to leave the truck with them until they can try to figure it out.  Not practical for me because they don't have a loaner available.  Maybe I should just be glad that it's all warrantied?  Really sucks to have such a nice new truck with such substantial issues. 

• Sad 1

That's BS and I hate that most dealers have no loaners now due to the shortage in chips/supply of cars.

Did they at least say how long a "diagnosis" would take? Like they would get on it right away or in a week. 

2 minutes ago, John813 said:

That's BS and I hate that most dealers have no loaners now due to the shortage in chips/supply of cars.

Did they at least say how long a "diagnosis" would take? Like they would get on it right away or in a week. 

Based on how quickly they got the first repair done, I would say they could get to work on it pretty quickly.  Fortunately the dealership and employees that I've been working with there have been great.  0 complaints from me for them.  But at this point I'll just keep running it.  Maybe it breaks again, maybe it lasts.  Maybe I'll see what a trade looks like.  Not totally sure what to do yet.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Does anybody know if GM has a new part number for the lifters that keep failing?  Or are they just replacing the lifters with more of the same type?  If they are the same part number as the failed ones, then GM has no clue what is going on.  That's what I suspect, they have no clue and are grasping at solutions.  Maybe the 6.2L being on constraint is them trying to actually FIX the problem instead of guessing at solutions.

• 2 months later...

Well, I purchased my 2015 sierra with the 6.2L new... I hoped that I would be one of the lucky ones that beat the odds...  NOPE...  I experienced the dreaded lifter failure yesterday with 78k miles on it.  The first look showed a bent push rod.  The GMC tech said that he thought the problem was caused by the VLOM... and quoted me $8000+ to repair it which included changing out both sides lifters.  Of course the dealership refuses to do the DOD delete...  so I am in the process of lining up an independent shop to do the full DOD delete for $5300.

Bottom line... there is no consensus on what is causing all of these lifter failures.  While my knee jerk reaction is to blame a poor quality lifter, the lifter manufacturer is pointing fingers at the block manufacturer saying that there are bad dimensions of the lifter cylinder, a malfunctioning VLOM, and oil pressure being outside the required window... who knows!

All I know is that I'm stuck with this thing and now I have to fix it... given the likelihood that my cam is trashed, it makes sense to me to do a full on DOD delete...  

18 hours ago, billghsv said:

Well, I purchased my 2015 sierra with the 6.2L new... I hoped that I would be one of the lucky ones that beat the odds...  NOPE...  I experienced the dreaded lifter failure yesterday with 78k miles on it.  The first look showed a bent push rod.  The GMC tech said that he thought the problem was caused by the VLOM... and quoted me $8000+ to repair it which included changing out both sides lifters.  Of course the dealership refuses to do the DOD delete...  so I am in the process of lining up an independent shop to do the full DOD delete for $5300.

Bottom line... there is no consensus on what is causing all of these lifter failures.  While my knee jerk reaction is to blame a poor quality lifter, the lifter manufacturer is pointing fingers at the block manufacturer saying that there are bad dimensions of the lifter cylinder, a malfunctioning VLOM, and oil pressure being outside the required window... who knows!

All I know is that I'm stuck with this thing and now I have to fix it... given the likelihood that my cam is trashed, it makes sense to me to do a full on DOD delete...  

sorry about what happened the more and more im reading about this make me want to cancel my at4, what kind of oil you use in your truck ?,thanks,

On 6/10/2022 at 1:01 PM, PacksAWallop said:

Based on how quickly they got the first repair done, I would say they could get to work on it pretty quickly.  Fortunately the dealership and employees that I've been working with there have been great.  0 complaints from me for them.  But at this point I'll just keep running it.  Maybe it breaks again, maybe it lasts.  Maybe I'll see what a trade looks like.  Not totally sure what to do yet.

Any updates?

On 8/20/2022 at 9:06 PM, NE18 said:

Any updates?

So far so good.  Have put another 4,500 miles on, and seems to be functioning normally.  The issues it was having previously have somehow disappeared.  Not sure how that happens in a mechanical system?  I won't complain.  The truck is a little bit noisy at the engine on start up.  Sounds like something along the accessory belt?  Water pump, alternator, something?  But that's probably to be expected after having the engine torn apart.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey all,

I have a 2021 sierra 1500 at4 and I am at 39k miles currently. It is now in the shop for the second time with lifter failure and will be over 60 days of it in shop when its finally fixed.

I have been told by numerous people who work on GMC, including a couple people at the dealership it is currently sitting at, that the lifters are known to be defective and can reasonably expect failure every 20k miles.

My first experience with the dealer was absolutely terrible as they tried to have me do useless maintenance at 10k miles a week after an oil change where everything was green. I also had copies of the service bulletins saying that this was most likely lifter failure and it should be the first thing that was looked at, I was told by the manager of the repair shop that I should take it somewhere else if I wanted to tell them how to do there job. It took 29 days to get it fixed and was returned to me twice with nothing fixed and the issue being persistent, only to work perfectly 1 day before the lemon law kicked in for me as well as a bunch of promises from GM head quarters that were not kept.

The second time happened a week and a half ago. I was heading 2 hours away for work and started hearing a clicking from the engine and loss of RPMs, about 2-300 when the click happened, but no engine light or electrical issues like the first time. I called the same dealer that repaired it the first time, I know it was stupid, but was told if "no engine lights are on they cant take it in under warranty cause they cant get error codes". I went straight to Napa, tested for codes and had none. I went to the nearest GMC dealer which was in town and they immediately said it was not able to be driven. It is now sitting there waiting for parts that are on back order cause this seems to be a common problem with 2018 or newer trucks.

LONG STORY SHORT, my family has had GMC since I can remember and they have lost a life long customer. I love the truck, but the effor GM is putting into solving the problem is none if any at all. They just warrenty it for 5 years of 60000k miles and act like they are doing us a service.

I have yet to receive compensation for the time lost or answers from them about how they are solving the problem instead of just replacing defective parts with more defective parts.

• Haha 1