Lifter Failure on New 2022 Sierra 1500 AT4 Limited 6.2

Unfortunately this is my first post here.  But thought my info would be helpful to others.  My new 2022 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4 Limited with the 6.2 has been in the shop for a couple days due to lifter failure.  The truck had right at 6,000 miles on it when the lifter collapsed and bent a push rod.  I called the dealer for an update, and they said parts should be in in the next day or two, then they'll replace the affected bank of lifters.....  I asked why they won't replace both banks since the failure occurred in less than 8,000 miles?  They told me that particular TSB procedure stopped at the 2021 model year.  The 2022's will only have the affected bank side replaced even if failure occurs in under 8,000 miles on your brand new truck.  I've opened a case with GM directly to try and get both banks replaced since the parts still seem to be substandard.  I don't want to be pulling my camper with my family, and have the truck fail on me again because they only replaced half of the defective parts.  I can't even get a loaner from the dealership while the truck is being fixed.  

Aside from this current headache, I absolutely love our new truck.  No plans on getting rid of it, I just want it fixed the right way with parts that aren't inferior.

Edit:  The truck has a build date of 12/21.  Unsure of engine build date, but have to imagine it's close to the truck's build date.

Edited by PacksAWallop
  • Sad 2

Also for anyone who wants to know the signs and symptoms I had before and during the lifter failure, here it is.

First sign I noticed was when you'd be cruising along and crest a hill, the engine would back off the power and would start to activate DFM.  As it did this it would act as if someone was tapping the brakes hard and fast on the truck, almost like something would be getting caught up in the engine and throw you forward in the seat a little.  Felt like a misfire, or a hard bump in the road.  As soon as you would give it gas or the engine would go back to all 8 cylinders it would run like normal.  

This went on for a couple weeks, no check engine lights or codes thrown, btw.  Then one day on the way home coming through a round-a-bout and gave it some gas, then Bang, Bang, Bang.  Something obviously failed in the engine, and it now had a very loud tick that would speed up with the RPM's of the engine.  Still no check engine lights.  Pulled into the GM dealer and the tech didn't even have to ask what was going on, just told me to leave the keys in the truck and they'd tear into it the next day.  

every time I open this forum there is new one of this #lifterfaliure its almost like GM did this on purpose to turn people of buying the gas v8 and prep them for the NEW GREEN ELECTRIC ....    just my theory. GM  once champion of a v8 and reliable  engines suddenly forgot how to make a good V8 engine ..... .... 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, FJB said:

every time I open this forum there is new one of this #lifterfaliure its almost like GM did this on purpose to turn people of buying the gas v8 and prep them for the NEW GREEN ELECTRIC ....    just my theory. GM  once champion of a v8 and reliable  engines suddenly forgot how to make a good V8 engine ..... .... 

Now there's a scary thought.

• Thanks 1

Update:  The dealer dug into the repair a little deeper, and found that the camshaft was scored pretty bad from the lifter failure.  So now instead of just replacing 1 bank of lifters and pushrods, it will be getting them all replaced.  Also getting a new cam, rockers, timing chain guides, and everything else associated with those parts.  Gaskets, bolts, sensors, etc.  Hopefully this brand new, rebuilt engine holds up better than the original.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, PacksAWallop said:

Update:  The dealer dug into the repair a little deeper, and found that the camshaft was scored pretty bad from the lifter failure.  So now instead of just replacing 1 bank of lifters and pushrods, it will be getting them all replaced.  Also getting a new cam, rockers, timing chain guides, and everything else associated with those parts.  Gaskets, bolts, sensors, etc.  Hopefully this brand new, rebuilt engine holds up better than the original.

Way to go Chevy…. This is not acceptable for truck that cost 70k 

10 minutes ago, FJB said:

Way to go Chevy…. This is not acceptable for truck that cost 70k

Yeah, I've been really happy with the way the dealership has treated me on this.  Haven't heard from GM direct yet, but not sure what I would need from them anymore at this point?

20 hours ago, Ghostbone311 said:

wonder if this is why they just stopped all 6.2l engine builds the rest of the year.

They can't get valve train parts from supplier.

12 minutes ago, John813 said:

Has anyone had a second failure of the replaced parts? 

Would be something to replace lifters every 6k miles, for a ridiculous example. 

I was wondering the same thing.  Shop managers at the dealership said they haven't had any repeat failures after all 16 lifters have been replaced.... yet.  They have however had trucks with one bank replaced only to have the vehicle return later with the opposite side failed.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PacksAWallop said:

I was wondering the same thing.  Shop managers at the dealership said they haven't had any repeat failures after all 16 lifters have been replaced.... yet.  They have however had trucks with one bank replaced only to have the vehicle return later with the opposite side failed.

For me, one thing for it to possibly go out once. I had a 6.4L Hemi go out at 72k miles on one side and it was fine till I sold it with over 100k miles. 

But, I would admit I would lose the love for the truck if the lifters would fail early and often. Sort of wish they could just do a delete if it failed but I know GM won't do that. 

Was hoping that it was just a bad batch from 2020- early 21 for the trucks that failed early on but the your truck build date is fairly recent.

Edited by John813

21 hours ago, FJB said:

I totally agree…..and what do we use to produce energy??🤔🤔🤔.  The insanity continues with these people

love your avatar name!!!!😂😂

• Like 1