Frame mount running boards?

2022 2500hd is on the way. I cringe when I see rusted out trucks. It will be undercoated before I get it. Drilling holes is a last resort for me. I put boards on the 17 Silverado, but didn't like the nut clips with the sharp edges that scratch the paint. Im not having much luck on this forum or Google finding a selection and value opinions of people who have tried frame mount running boards or nerf bars.

I have frame mount running boards, only type I will have. Don't know if frame mounts are available for all trucks. With frame mounts if you catch a board on something it bends the mounts or boards not the rocker panels on the truck. 

https://www.luvernetruck.com/running-boards-side-steps/grip-step-7-inch

• Like 1

On 5/28/2022 at 8:48 AM, diyer2 said:

I have frame mount running boards, only type I will have. Don't know if frame mounts are available for all trucks. With frame mounts if you catch a board on something it bends the mounts or boards not the rocker panels on the truck. 

https://www.luvernetruck.com/running-boards-side-steps/grip-step-7-inch

Following your link I'm only coming up with rocker mount. I'm not known for my computer savvy 

• 1 year later...

Old thread but chasing this down for a 2024 2500 Double Cab. Put in a "contact us" to Luverne. I see on their running boards for GMT800 trucks it looks like it uses the cab mounts for brackets. I will update this thread if they are able to provide me a solution that does not mount to the rocker. 

5 hours ago, stlchevy61 said:

Old thread but chasing this down for a 2024 2500 Double Cab. Put in a "contact us" to Luverne. I see on their running boards for GMT800 trucks it looks like it uses the cab mounts for brackets. I will update this thread if they are able to provide me a solution that does not mount to the rocker. 

Looking forward to your update. We used to have those Go rhino nerf bars and they might have available, especially the dominator D6.

Edited by xranger90

On 12/20/2023 at 6:47 PM, xranger90 said:

Looking forward to your update. We used to have those Go rhino nerf bars and they might have available, especially the dominator D6.

They said the only option they have is the rocker mount. I really like the design of the grip step so I think I'll get them then fab some different brackets. 

• Like 1

The rocker ones are fine.  The T1 trucks are even better than the older trucks as GM welded in nuts into the rocker, so no cheap clip nuts to mess with.  

Frame mount ones cause plenty of issues down the road or during install.  Broken cab bolt nuts (the ones welded into the floorboard), body mount noises, loose bolts, loose mounts, rotted, etc.  

My frame mounts have been on my truck for 8 years. Used on dirt roads and haven't had a problem. I installed them, I prefer frame mounts. If you hit something it doesn't damage the rocker. 

See my previous post in this thread.

DSCF0410.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My truck has Rough Country boards that are frame mounted. However, I'm looking locally for a set of OEM boards as the Rough Country boards are higher tucked up close to the rocker and they don't extend out as far as the OEM ones. The wife has a hard time getting in and out and prefers the OEM ones that were on my 1500. 

Well... Solutions are out there. My '24 HD Denali package came with the motorized running  boards. I wanted to delete them, as another thing to break.  Nope, could not delete it out of the "Denali Pkg.".  After delivery, and I rust proofed the rocker and doors with WoolWax, I got to see how well these running boards are now mounted to the rockers (compared to my '03 Tahoe , where the weld nuts pulled out of the poorly re-inforced sheetmetal).

The motorized rocker boards I now like, as they #1, do tuck up out of the way, # 2, do extend down well, for my bad knees. Aftermarket ones are available, but I saw the GM ones I have are quite stout, compared to my '03 Tahoe.

Attached pic also shows additional holes with Weld Nuts, for stationary running boards.

I just helped my friend cut off his rocker mounted steps off his '16 F-150, as the rockers were a rust failure.

That said......., spray any Lanolin Based Rust proofing in all access holes in your rockers and doors.

Check out a few on a dealer lot to see how there are now mounted.

Attached pic, shows I was rustproofing the rockers, put plumber's putty in to hold the Woolwax in for a while. Shows the running board in down position. However this only pic does not show how strong the rocker mounting is. Truck is on a 4 post lift, next to a storage container in red. Passenger and rear door open.

GMC_PLUMBERS PUTTY I PUTIN WEEP HOLES HOLDS TO CONTAIN WOOLWAX CREEP & CRAWL.jpg

Ya like it was stated above, the rocker mounts are pretty solid now. Installed these Luverne Grip Steps in about 40 minutes. No need for a helper or anything. These steps seem really well made. We will see how they do over time. 

IMG_0285.jpeg

IMG_0286.jpeg

4 minutes ago, stlchevy61 said:

Ya like it was stated above, the rocker mounts are pretty solid now. Installed these Luverne Grip Steps in about 40 minutes. No need for a helper or anything. These steps seem really well made. We will see how they do over time. 

IMG_0285.jpeg

IMG_0286.jpeg

one of the photos isn’t showing up. Will try to upload one more 

IMG_0283.jpeg