New Radiator/Trouble getting up to temp

Installed a new all aluminum Cold Case radiator in my 06 Sierra 1500 4.8L and I’m having trouble getting up to operating temperature in the normal time frame. I would think this will especially be an issue in the winter, but I’m in Texas so winters are no exactly terrible. Is this something I should be concerned about in the long run not reaching op temp on the majority of my drives? 

Getting my temp to the 200 degree standard operating temp will take me about 40min of non stop highway driving while the fans are running with the AC on. My temp will climb to the 185-187 thermostat opening fairly quickly 10-15min but as it opens and the fans run, it is just too much cooling for it to ever reach op temp in a decent time. Also if I keep my fans off, and it does reach 200 degrees, in 15-25min, once I turn the fans back on, the temp will drop to 185-187 within 5-10min. 

I know this radiator was a bit overkill for my stock application, but I wanted an aluminum rad to not worry about leaking issues in the future from plastic rads. 51393F78-04B8-42BD-932A-9A9AFFBF3208.thumb.jpeg.f0782c01bc743ac8f7fc35390a378480.jpeg

it should never run hotter than the t-stat temp unless there's no air flow thru the rad, 10-15 min to get to op temp seems like along time. I wonder if the t-stats stuck partialy open. if you want it to run at 200 put a 195 t-stat in which is what it came with when new

• Thanks 1

If it is a factory thermostat, it is opening early in my opinion. Like he said, a stock thermostat should be keeping you in that 192-200 degree range just about all the time.

6 hours ago, richard wysong said:

it should never run hotter than the t-stat temp unless there's no air flow thru the rad, 10-15 min to get to op temp seems like along time. I wonder if the t-stats stuck partialy open. if you want it to run at 200 put a 195 t-stat in which is what it came with when new

I’ve searched online and all the stock thermostats for my vehicle are 186-187 and that’s what I have. That would mean the previous thermo was 195 if it was running at 200 before? (Coolant was in good condition) Also, I was under the impression that the thermostat temp rating was only for when it opened, not what the engine temp ran at. From what I’ve read, normal engine temps for most vehicles average about 200 and above. 

4 hours ago, CamGTP said:

If it is a factory thermostat, it is opening early in my opinion. Like he said, a stock thermostat should be keeping you in that 192-200 degree range just about all the time.

Yes it’s factory temp, it reaches the temp of the thermostat which is 185-187 just fine, so I don’t think it’s opening early, it would be struggling to reach the thermostat temp if that was the case I would think. 

it can actually hit my original previous temp of 200, but it takes very long. I feel like that’s telling me, my new rad is very efficient at cooling, so the engine wants to stay at the thermo opening temp. Of 186-187. 

Looks like the later years are 190 degree theromstat unlike the 2003-2007's, and that is just the start to open temps. That's why my other truck always ran at 192-195ish because the thermostat was just barely open most of the time.

Nothing wrong with the temps you are seeing then.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In Alaska most drivers put a piece of card board in front of the radiator; at 40 to 70 below engines suffer from hypothermia, they don't produce enough heat to compete with the elements.So a piece of card board could solve your problems. If you bought more radiator than your engine calls for it's no surprise it's not heating BUT the T stat should be controlling the heat. Your T stat is not working correctly.