Gas Prices

Big_Kahuna

Yep, Going up here as well, The places that were $2.85 are $2.99 as of yesterday am. They said the conflict with Iran and Syria is to blame, I guess that's as good an excuse as any. Going to go gas the truck up and maybe save a couple bucks

1 hour ago, richard wysong said:

Yep, Going up here as well, The places that were $2.85 are $2.99 as of yesterday am. They said the conflict with Iran and Syria is to blame, I guess that's as good an excuse as any. Going to go gas the truck up and maybe save a couple bucks

The BP refinery that serves our area had a power outage (Whiting Indiana) that damaged some equipment and is down for 3 weeks to inspect and repair. So, they say. When I worked in that business, a power outage was about a 6-hour dip in on spec production. They are not training today as they did in 'my day' nor are they staffing to the same levels. Outsourcing many jobs company men once did. Fine when everything is running smoothly. Not so much in an upset or even a planned startup.  

Story is that they had two transformers blow up. These places have multiple power feeds from multiple grids with automatic transfer capability. We (El Paso Chevron circa late 1980's early 1990's) had a drunk hit a station within our fence at 2 am taking down the entire substation. We had three feeds from three grids. Only one is in service at a time. We were back on power in under a minute and had all equipment running in under 10 minutes. In spec by shift end. Station was rebuilt offline and back in service in a few months.

What they are doing sounds more like a planned 'turnaround' where shutdown came unexpectedly and a bit early.   

I went and gassed up the truck after my last post. $2.85 RU 87, was $2.81 same place a couple days ago. Most places up 4 cents or more in the last couple days. Damned 6.0 in that truck is thirsty but runs great for 195k miles

• Like 1

One station is holding out at $2.67, the others jumped from roughly that price to $3.19 overnight.

Pretty ridiculous that they can jump that much in a day.

On 2/11/2024 at 8:22 AM, Grumpy Bear said:

The BP refinery that serves our area had a power outage (Whiting Indiana) that damaged some equipment and is down for 3 weeks to inspect and repair. So, they say. When I worked in that business, a power outage was about a 6-hour dip in on spec production. They are not training today as they did in 'my day' nor are they staffing to the same levels. Outsourcing many jobs company men once did. Fine when everything is running smoothly. Not so much in an upset or even a planned startup.  

Story is that they had two transformers blow up. These places have multiple power feeds from multiple grids with automatic transfer capability. We (El Paso Chevron circa late 1980's early 1990's) had a drunk hit a station within our fence at 2 am taking down the entire substation. We had three feeds from three grids. Only one is in service at a time. We were back on power in under a minute and had all equipment running in under 10 minutes. In spec by shift end. Station was rebuilt offline and back in service in a few months.

What they are doing sounds more like a planned 'turnaround' where shutdown came unexpectedly and a bit early.   

Its east Chicago/Gary  area was probably a RPG from the natives......LOL  

On 2/12/2024 at 1:27 PM, customboss said:

Its east Chicago/Gary  area was probably a RPG from the natives......LOL  

Wouldnt doubt it :) .  In all honesty with the grid the way it is surprised it doesnt happen more frequently. 

Its also funny how the media freaks out.  Its always in the summer saying the refinery is down but it was always planned maintenance.  I have known quite a few people who worked there and they just laughed.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RyanbabZ71 said:

Wouldnt doubt it :) .  In all honesty with the grid the way it is surprised it doesnt happen more frequently. 

Its also funny how the media freaks out.  Its always in the summer saying the refinery is down but it was always planned maintenance.  I have known quite a few people who worked there and they just laughed.  

I worked in a few and I laugh. :bs:

Up 80 cents a gallon over the last few fills. 40 cents on this single. Now $3.55

Ethanol prices are a $1.08 higher here than dads. There is only a 38-cent difference in taxes between these two locations. Presidents do NOT have any control over GREED! :mad:

Edited by Grumpy Bear