Gas Prices

Big_Kahuna

I remember back in the 70's and 80's gas prices here were always higher than say the DFW area. People complained there was a cartel her that worked to keep the price high. Guess that's not the case now. Prices are now and have been for quite a while, lower than other places. Fuel comes via pipeline from Big Springs refinery. Then the trucks are loading it at the racks for delivery. One little blip out of the refinery and prices skyrocket

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

$3.79 in Rochelle 17 miles away. In the area often though. 

$3.89 at the new Love's 10 miles away. Ditto COSTCO 18 miles away. 

$4.49 and $4.69 in the two closest towns. 2 and 3 miles. Casey's and Marathon :nonod: Gal that runs the Marathon must not get out much or think most wont go 8 miles to save nearly a buck a gallon. 😱

Have any of you E85 drivers ran E85?  I know it yields less power / mpg.  But wonder if you've ran the numbers, because at some amount less than 87 octane, E85 should break even or maybe be even a bit less expensive to use.

I'm curious about E85, but a) I would only use it if it were mathematically less expensive and b) my truck is not an E85 flex fuel truck.  I drive around like I'm driving Ms. Daisy, so a small power drop would not be an issue.

Just curious how you guys feel about it, if you've used it.

Engines make more power with E85, not less. But the engine/calibration has to be designed to run it.

Yes it returns less fuel mileage because it takes roughly 20-30% more fuel to do the same thing as regular unleaded.

Where I live E85 had been $2.89 to $2.99 a gallon when 87 octane was $4.60-4.80 a gallon. That's easy math right there to know that E85 still came out cheaper even if I got 2-3mpg less. Even right now it's still a $1.00 less per gallon now that 87 octane is $4.00.

I wouldn't run E85 in a truck that isn't a flex fuel, the most I'd run would be blend of E30. Many states sell E15 which is totally fine as well and is cheaper than 87 octane. My state has many places that sell E30 fuel.

45 minutes ago, CamGTP said:

That's easy math right there to know that E85 still came out cheaper even if I got 2-3mpg less.

Pepper is Flex Fuel Ready. 29-30 mpg on 87 E-10 and running 'about' 21-22 on E-85 at 75% ethanol. I started using it as a cost cutting measure but keeping it as a cleanliness option. Runs really nice on this stuff. 

• Like 1