Gas Prices

Big_Kahuna

The vehicle in my signature is averaging about 16.4 mpg.  If I drive like I'm driving Ms. Daisy, I can get low 17's.  Now that's all suburban / 'round town driving (not city ... suburban).  Of course it does better on the interstate, even the low 20's.  However, based on some of the mpg numbers I saw earlier in the thread, I've got nothing to complain about.

Of course I have a 43 mpg average gas sipper too.  One of my sons is driving the gas sipper right now due to covering 104 miles a day.  So, I'm driving Ms. Daisy around in the Sierra daily at this time.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, diyer2 said:

Roof mounted solar is cheaper than ground mounted, thus keeping the install price down. Ground mount is easier to work on and do maintenance. If I ever have solar again it will be ground mount. Also in the city roof mount gets more sun in most cases due to lot size.

Our neighborhood is going crazy with the roof mount panels. Some of those roofs are leaking. That will take forever. :crackup:One fella had his bedroom ceiling fall in on him during our last storm. Gutted the room. Insurance told him they won't pay a fella that drilled holes in the roof then complains it lets water in. :rollin:  Installer is being sued.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, 7milesout said:

The vehicle in my signature is averaging about 16.4 mpg.  If I drive like I'm driving Ms. Daisy, I can get low 17's.  Now that's all suburban / 'round town driving (not city ... suburban).  Of course it does better on the interstate, even the low 20's.  However, based on some of the mpg numbers I saw earlier in the thread, I've got nothing to complain about.

Of course I have a 43 mpg average gas sipper too.  One of my sons is driving the gas sipper right now due to covering 104 miles a day.  So, I'm driving Ms. Daisy around in the Sierra daily at this time.

Love the 4.8 V8.  

1 hour ago, customboss said:

Have you ever been to Colorado in the winter above 8000' ?  It's always sunny. 

True, the sun is out every day, sometimes it is just above the cloud cover☝️

• Haha 3

For your information FJB a properly designed solar system takes into account the sun power of your location and adds solar panels as needed for cloudy days. 

• Like 2

In in Houston along with the other request by the power company. Refrain from plugging in your electric vehicle until after 8 pm. My brother in law works for a company in Houston from 3-8 they go into limp mode. My electric interlock will be installed this Tuesday. I will be back up ready. I wonder. If the masses install back up generators. Is that more efficient than a natural gas power plant?😀

• Haha 1

My electric bill is not that high to justify solar panels. My neighbor has them and he tells me they do save on electric cost a little not as big as everyone thinks. The problem is when you have to have a new roof put on you have to have the company or another company take them back off the roof and re-installed after the new roof is put on and the cost is on you so the savings you had with the panels will be sucked up for the removal and re-installed for roof replacement. Cost to remove and replace depending on how many you have is around 3-4000 dollars again depending on how many you have its 200-300 dollars per panel including disconnect.

So once the panels are removed now you have hundreds of holes in your roof that have to be plugged till the roofers show up, not a one day job.

A friend of mine is a realtor and she says when she shows a house that have solar panels installed most people walk away and don't want to deal with it, I know I wouldn't want to deal with it.

Edited by Silverado4x4

1 hour ago, swathdiver said:

I'll never trade safety for gas mileage, consider the costs friend.

I guess you don't, never have, and never will ride a motorcycle.  The gas sipper is INFINITELY safer than riding a motorcycle pal.  And I've probably put 50k miles on motorcycles (and raced them when I was younger).

• Like 1

My best friend who has been roofing for 45 years routinely replaces roofs that are only a few years old  to prep for solar installation so that they don't have that problem. once the panels are in place they protect the roof from the uv that ages asphalt roofing so a 25 year shingle may last 30 years or more. granted it's a big extra expense but worth the peace of mind IMO

• Like 1