Ignition Lock or Shift Lock

2019 Silverado Custom.  When turning off the engine, my ignition key will not come out of the lock cylinder, more often than not.  I have removed the cylinder and cleaned and lubricated it.  It works perfectly while held in my hand.  Upon installation it still hangs up.  Today I discovered that once it is free to come out, it is fine until the engine is started and the vehicle has been put into gear.  Then when turned off it can be cycled to the removal position, but won't actually come out.

After much experimenting, I found that if I turned the key toward start, to the point where it pops out a bit, and then back to remove, it will come out.

Any help would be appreciated.  I am leaning toward it being related to the auto transmission shifter, but I don't know what I'm looking for, and can't find any late model info anywhere.  Wiggling the shift arm, or the steering wheel has no effect at all.

Thanks in advance.

Don

• 3 weeks later...

I would think it's the steering lock that is causing the issue. I don't believe you can turn it if it is not in park or neutral. I know I've had several vehicles that if the steering is in the right spot it locks and won't let the key release. I've had to pull hard on one side or the other to release the pressure for the key to fully release.

Thanks for commenting.

I've tried all the usual stuff.  The reason I think it is related to the steering lock is this.  Once it is free and comes out, it will do it over and over again.  It's not until the engine is started, and put into gear, then put into park, that it happens.  I can't find any information on what/where/how the locking mechanism works.  If it is a function of the lock cylinder, then buying a new one should fix it.  But I'd hate to spend around $140 for a new one, and it not be the problem.

Edited by Don DeRyke

• 1 year later...
16 hours ago, Joe Dem said:

Hi Don

I am running into the same problem with the key not turning all the way back to pull out the key. What was the cause. Thanks

Hi Joe.

It is a bit unresolved, only because my friend won't make the time for me to finish up the project.  There is a locking module in the steering column that senses when the vehicle is in Park and releases the key.  Otherwise it's stuck.  I unplugged it, and now he can take the key out while driving down the road.  LOL  He's a bit tight about money, so I didn't want to spend the money on the part, without putting a meter on the disconnected line to determine if it was actually getting power or losing power when the shifter is in park.  I didn't think of it at the time.  I'd hate to replace it, which is easy, without making sure it wasn't a problem further down the the line.  I have attached the parts diagram from Chevy.  As I recall it is part number 9.

Silverado Ignition.pdf

• 1 year later...

Having the exact issue you described with a 2021 chevy trail boss.  what part did you unplug off part # 9? I have been to the chevy dealer 3 time with no resolve.  I would love to try to unhook this to try.

Thank you