OK, If GM Was NOT an Option ..??

It's a very tough choice for me, I think they're all excellent vehicles. However, I'm just someone who isn't all crazy about interiors.

Since I was a kid, my family has always had a Ford as a lease vehicle, and given the excellent service they've provided us I want to say that I would want to gravitate more towards an F-150 or Ranger, but all of these features and little menu items that populate the screen constantly is just a major turn off for me.

This also carries over to RAM, with a lot of people using solely the interior as a selling point to me. Don't get me wrong, I love the quirkiness and clear passion, creativity, and fun that clearly went into designing the cabin. It's just too much for me, and the powertrain and exterior just isn't enough to win me over. Again, I think they're cool trucks, but I can just imagine myself getting distracted by all of the tech (and the piano black, oh god).

If I had to choose I would say I am very interested in the new Nissan Frontier, its interior is very similar to what I have now and so is the utility. Overall very simple and to the point, and that just fits my needs. 🙂

Edited by OffTheAir

I come from a GM family.  I don’t think I could bring myself to drive a different truck.  If I had to choose, I might look at a RAM.  I have an in-law who has one and it seems better than my friends Ford.

Realistically, I’d just get something else.  Probably a Yukon or an Acadia, whatever SUV I could get, not being sure of the reason the truck wouldn’t be available, but that might take the Yukon off the table too.

Even though my brother in law works for Ford, I couldn't bring myself to buy one. I looked at Rangers for a minute when I was originally looking to buy a Colorado. I was looking at a Jeep Gladiator because it would do a lot of things, but when I decided if I'm going to finance something for 6+ years I want to be able to haul a car trailer with a vehicle on it and not over tax the truck. That ruled out the Gladiator. I hate the Ford Ecoboost crap. They sound like crap. To me Ford's have looked pretty much the same for the last 15+ years. They haven't done any radical departure in design like the 19+ GMs. I would have went with a Ram with a regular Hemi, not that etorque crap. The 3.6 V6 was decent in the 2011 Durango I had but not as a full size truck motor. 6.4 would be nice but have to jump up to a 2500 for that.

• Like 1

Either a Ram Rebel. I’m digging that red interior. Or a Tundra. Every time I see one or a commercial it makes me want one more than my sierra. Never owned a Tundra, owned a ram in ‘98 and it lacked quite a bit in the quality department. My choice for Tundra or ram is purely based on aesthetics. 

12 hours ago, NorthskyblueT1 said:

All the full-size brands have something I like for different reasons right now.

Great point here! every one of them have something cool to offer. 

For awhile I thought it would be the RAM that I looked at next since the RAM has the best interior, and best UNLOADED ride in my opinion.  With no weight in the truck, it rides wonderfully compared to the other 2 brands. However, my boss has one that he bought new, fully loaded, and the thing is falling apart at 60K miles.  The brake pedal feels like mush, the interior is already making noises, and the handling characteristics when loaded with any kind of weight is very sloppy at best.  It feels like a pontoon boat floating over a huge wave while swaying side to side.  I use my Silerado, sometimes harder than I should, and it handles the same loads INFINITELY better.  That's not necessarily praise for the Silverado since our Fords haul the same weight about as equally as the Silverado's, but a knock on the RAM since it's nowhere near as confidence inspiring with weight in the back.  The HEMI is more than adequate power wise, but the suspension is what lets it down when towing or hauling, at least in my opinion. 

I guess I would go with a F250 Tremor with the 7.3 gas motor if I had to go with a different brand.

Edited by Gangly

33 minutes ago, Gangly said:

For awhile I thought it would be the RAM that I looked at next since the RAM has the best interior, and best UNLOADED ride in my opinion.  With no weight in the truck, it rides wonderfully compared to the other 2 brands. However, my boss has one that he bought new, fully loaded, and the thing is falling apart at 60K miles.  The brake pedal feels like mush, the interior is already making noises, and the handling characteristics when loaded with any kind of weight is very sloppy at best.  It feels like a pontoon boat floating over a huge wave while swaying side to side.  I use my Silerado, sometimes harder than I should, and it handles the same loads INFINITELY better.  That's not necessarily praise for the Silverado since our Fords haul the same weight about as equally as the Silverado's, but a knock on the RAM since it's nowhere near as confidence inspiring with weight in the back.  The HEMI is more than adequate power wise, but the suspension is what lets it down when towing or hauling, at least in my opinion. 

I guess I would go with a F250 Tremor with the 7.3 gas motor if I had to go with a different brand.

Most people want 1/2 tons to ride like cars with big trunks. I did when I switched from 3/4 to half tons. I went from pulling and hauling to sales and training. When I was using 3/4 tons they had fuel tanks, toolboxes with tools and a air compressor. With all that weight they road pretty smooth. Even my 1/2 tons had a toolbox. Seems to me there’s plenty of options to fit peoples lifestyle. I can’t wait to drive the maverick or Santa cruise. If the ride height suits the wife for ingress and exit. When the chip shortage calms down the CRV could go by by. When it comes to towing or hauling a with a half ton there’s very little I’d do with one. 

• Thanks 1

Definitely a Nissan Titan. I was on the fence before I got 22 (LTD)  in February this year. There just weren't many titans to be had and had to have a truck for work that month. My new truck was at the right place at the right time and $6k below msrp to boot. But I owned a 2005 Titan(bought new in 2004) until I sold it in 2015. Not a single major problem with it and I loved it. *I love 22' silverado now too. 

Edited by John F.
Typo
  • Like 1

Definitely a Ram Rebel or GT would be my choice especially considering the fact that the Ram Dealerships where I live are loaded with inventory.  Not so with the GM dealerships where I live as there are no new GM trucks (2022 Limited, or 2022 Refresh) present on the lots.  

When I bought my current truck, first choice was the Sierra and I test drove and loved them, but the pricing wasn't there. For the same price I paid for my "loaded" Ram BigHorn, GMC dealer would give me the basic work truck with vinyl floors and the neutered 4x4. No thanks. The SLE I wanted was like 10 grand more, I think part of that difference was due to larger incentives and the Ram dealer giving me more on my trade in as well.

The comments above on ride and handling differences are spot on. The Ram rides better, no question. It's always composed when it hits bumps, especially in corners or rail road tracks, the GM's I drove would sort of side skip over them in the rear, but the Ram handles it more like a car.  And yes the downside to the Ram suspension is towing, they squat quicker (first 500 pounds) due to progressive springs, and they are much harder to dial in a trailer when towing, with the GMs being more forgiving with a somewhat imperfect trailer balance/tongue weight. Some of this can be mitigated with air bags in the Ram, just getting rid of a bit of bounce. Some guys get bounce/sway at 4000 pounds and others tow 9000 pound 5w's with no issues.

The new GM interiors are looking great this time around. If price wasn't a factor and I needed a truck tomorrow it would probably be a 2022 SLE duramax. But price is always a factor, and every truck has pros and cons, so this time the Ram won out but I'm not going to stuff myself in a box and never look at another brand. I do have an irrational dislike for Ford though, dunno why. Lot of it is exterior styling, can't stand the back half though the front grill is quite stunning IMHO. Same thing with the Titan, in terms of features and capability it's probably best value, but I cannot stand the goofy Asian styling with (dare I say it, "feminine"?) lines.

The new Tundra, not a chance. That thing was hit with the ugly hammer a few too many times.

I do get a laugh at the comments about "brand x" rattling at 100K miles and being trashed etc etc. Heard it all before, like a 1000 times, and every forum says the same thing about every other brand. Tribalism at its finest! Some day we're all going to clue in that every brand makes crappy trucks and every brand makes trucks that last 300K+ miles. You win some, you lose some. Quality at this point is mostly perception and maintenance and luck.

• Like 3