What size jack stands should I get?

Three ton jack stands should be fine, but would invest in a quality set of stands over junk that may be rated for more than it can safely be used for.  I have an old set of three ton heavy duty craftsman, I would not hesitate to use them for my 2020 duramax.

On 8/22/2022 at 1:48 PM, shadow gray 2020 hd said:

Three ton jack stands should be fine, but would invest in a quality set of stands over junk that may be rated for more than it can safely be used for.  I have an old set of three ton heavy duty craftsman, I would not hesitate to use them for my 2020 duramax.

To avoid under rated stands, look for the ASME-PASE 2019 rating, when buying new.  That standard requires that any stand set of 2, be rated no more than what an individual stand can support.  It's not an industry requirement and it's only self-regulated by manufacturers.  So, buy from reputable sources.  Some of the makers have gone as far as stating that their stands "meet ASME" standards, but don't go so far as to state they meet ASME-PASE 2019 standards.  To me, this is a red flag that they don't really test and are just using vague statements to advertise.  The 2019 revision to the standard is the one that increases the capability of each stand with regard to the rating. 

Being an engineer and having worked in several manufacturing fields, I have a particular aversion to the ratchet style stands after Harbor Freight had failures leading to recalls of massive quantities of these types of stands.  The recall wasn't because the materials were deficient.  It was because of a lack of precision in the manufacturing process.  The upper support column of these stands is a cast iron part.  A Chinese cast iron part, the lowest quality manufactured metal part on the planet, in my experience.  That coupled with the requirement of this design to have a pawl (the locking part) correctly placed so there is sufficient engagement of the pawl, makes this design vulnerable to quality control issues that could cost you your life.  I choose to just avoid that exposure and use pin type stands.   

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 8/20/2022 at 10:26 AM, Black02Silverado said:

For the most part and I only have a half ton I went the route of Quickjack.  Makes tire rotation, brake, shock replacement so nice. 

thumbnail_IMG_0178.jpg.b63ace0309f8e0ade4bff8585ab1443b.jpg

What is the height from the ground to the top of the truck roof?  And is the Quickjack fully extended or at the 1st locking position? 

8 hours ago, Kenp102 said:

What is the height from the ground to the top of the truck roof?  And is the Quickjack fully extended or at the 1st locking position? 

I didn't measure it.  This was at the first setting on the Quickjack.  Next time I put my truck on them, and if I remember, I will post the information.  Sorry I didn't have it now.

• 3 months later...

Do you put your faith in the stands alone or do you block it with heavy wood as well ? 

1 hour ago, BCGM said:

Do you put your faith in the stands alone or do you block it with heavy wood as well ? 

That is always a good idea.  I use big 18 inch long slabs of 6x12 Douglas fir laid flat and stacked placed under the frame rails. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BCGM said:

For oil changes and greasing and checking diffs etc I’ve let to have to jack the truck up. For things like brakes you won’t ever need to be under the truck so a jack stand will be just fine.  I have a pair of 6T that would hold the truck up for 50 years I’m sure. 

Edited by Pryme