What size jack stands should I get?

20220218_131539.thumb.jpg.fda3030306fcf3e2262775bca6fd5612.jpgJust looking for a 2nd opinion.

Curb weight is 7946lb (3645kg) not sure which size of jack stands to get. 3.5T, 4T or 5T? Currently the truck is stock, but I'll be adding things to it in the future ( eg: plow, lift, etc.)

Edited by Lp907

Is it a gas engine or a duramax?

It would have to be a fully loaded with every option long bed truck to weigh that much for a 2500 truck.

With that said you should get 3.5 Ton at a minimum just to play it safe. The front is going to weigh more than the rear because of the engine but the stands will never be supporting the full weight of the vehicle. I use 2 Ton stands for half ton trucks.

Edited by CamGTP

CamGTP, My curb weight on my short box 2500 is 8,372 lbs.  With that said, I agree that you should have 3.5 ton if not higher capacity jack stands as a good portion of stands are rated in pairs similar to ramps.  I have never met anyone that complained that they had too much jack stand capacity.  Those with too little may not be around to tell the story.  

Edited by Crazy Canuck
Spelling
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...

I am in the market for some new jack stands and saw this thread and thought I'd resurrect it.  One pair of my stands are something the previous homeowner left behind.  They are ratchet type of unknown origin.  My other pair are the pin type that have a tube that is split into 3 legs.  Very thin and light.  Both sets are sketchy.  I always leave a floor jack partially loaded under my vehicles when using these jackstands.  I even leave wheels/tires under there when I can.  I think I've used up my 9 lives.  

I have a soon to be lifted jeep on 37s and my mostly stock Sierra 1500 crew. 

Looking at something like the Martin International.  

What do you guys have?

Martin Jackstands.jpg

Edited by Spurshot

On 8/18/2022 at 5:00 AM, shakenfake said:

Daytona jacks are the bomb

Your post led me to reading a bit more about HF and Daytona brand.  So, HF was sued by Snap-On over HF advertising claims that the Daytona jack was "99% the same" as the Snap-On jack.  Apparently, Snap-On either didn't know they were assembling their jacks with essentially identical parts as the Daytona jacks or didn't care.  There was a settlement in which it appears Snap-On did not prevail and HF is still selling Daytona jacks. Harbor Freight's Daytona DJ3000, the floor Jack Snap-On absolutely hates for this reason - Alt Car news (tiremeetsroad.com)

But to my question about jack stands, Daytona/HF doesn't have a cross pin type stand that met my needs.  I am not of a fan of the ratchet style, even with the secondary cross pin of the Daytona/HF stands.  

I'd love to have a Quick lift or even a 2 post lift.  But I don't have a level driveway nor a garage with enough height and length for the truck (crew 6.5ft bed).  Not sure of my curb weight, but it's probably close to the limit as well. 

15 minutes ago, redwngr said:

...within reason...

Egg zactly.   I was looking at some of the taller stands for my jeep after it gets lifted.  The 10 ton, 4 post type with the round legs and round center post come in short, medium and high, inspire confidence.  The short wouldn't be high enough for holding the wheels off the ground while under the frame of the jeep with a 3.5" lift and 37s. The MetalCloak suspension has a lot of droop.  But those medium 4 posters are heavy and large.   I think the 6 ton Martins above, will work for the truck and some Jeep work, but I may still have to find taller stands later.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pokismoki said:

safetly first, and more capacity meets that req. stay away from Harbor freight, 

Harbor Freight did have a jack stand recall.  It was on the ratchet type.  Read more here. Even More Harbor Freight Jack Stands Recalled - McEldrew Young Purtell Merritt

To their credit, they do have a recall system online. Customer Service at Harbor Freight Tools - Product Support

Not sure if purchasers were contacted directly.  All of the steel jackstands they sell of that style (ratchet type) now have a secondary cross pin lock.  Although if that cross pin location in the body of the stand is not properly located, the result would be the same.  It's still about quality control.   There is currently a HF aluminum stand of the same fundamental design as the affected steel types, which does not have a secondary cross pin.

HF jack stand recall.jpg

Edited by Spurshot

My jack stands showed up.  I went with the Martins Int. 6 ton stands, which I found on Amazon for $138.

I'm very impressed with the quality and heavy construction.  The welds are the best I've seen on a Chinese product (yes, they are Chinese).  I've taken some pix comparing what I had been using.  Makes me feel foolish for trusting those cheap stands. They are bigger in all dimensions.  Since they are taller than my cheapos, I expected they'd be broader based. They are, and it's impressively broader as you can see in the pictures.  The wall thickness of the tubes is over 3/16" (.205" actual) and the pins are over 3/4" (.785" actual).  Based on looking them over alone, I'd recommend them to anyone looking for a quality stand that is appropriate for our trucks.   

These stands are compliant to ASME PASE 2019.  Here's what that means and why it's important.  I learned this on this purchase. https://www.vehicleservicepros.com/shop-operations/service-repair/blog/21137455/robert-bosch-llc-guest-blog-asme-pase2019-standards-what-do-technicians-need-to-know

My old stands are going in the scrap pile. 

20220821_124922.thumb.jpg.f5a89542ee0c7c7564ddedd0fa534ff8.jpg20220821_113628.thumb.jpg.3fc3c044751d5b420a7d6177873cc5ec.jpg20220821_125045.thumb.jpg.b4c2fcb31c56f5ac40217a03564c05b3.jpg20220821_124826.thumb.jpg.24ce50d504717e29befc11cf341587e6.jpg20220821_124944.thumb.jpg.d93d38cbdf7a5af8b43a1b03c8f36996.jpg20220821_142914.thumb.jpg.9f246f02d3aadde88c25821b4f01b993.jpg

Edited by Spurshot
  • Like 2