Leaked new EV Silverado

Two things I thought of when I first saw the Avalanche.

1. Those plastic C-Pillars are going to look lovely after a few years of UV bombardment.
  2. The cab must get dusty as hell when the mid-gate is open.

Only #2 would apply to the new electric Silverado. Overall I think it looks pretty good. Not crazy about the C-Pillars but not a deal breaker. 400 miles is getting close to acceptable for me. $105K is way more than I want to spend though.

16 minutes ago, SVG said:

Two things I thought of when I first saw the Avalanche.

1. Those plastic C-Pillars are going to look lovely after a few years of UV bombardment.
  2. The cab must get dusty as hell when the mid-gate is open.

Only #2 would apply to the new electric Silverado. Overall I think it looks pretty good. Not crazy about the C-Pillars but not a deal breaker. 400 miles is getting close to acceptable for me. $105K is way more than I want to spend though.

I have a 20 year Avalanche with full cladding. I’m 66. It takes 15 minutes 3 times a year of the most exposed areas to treat. 2 times a year on the side cladding another 15 minutes. The protection it provides makes it worth the trouble. I’ll take cladding over paint any day.

So my High Country was $60K out the door 3 years ago. I can average right at 380-400 miles if I baby it. It costs me around $80 with premium right now with our "pathetic" administration in office to fill it. When Trump was in office it was $45 with premium.  It took 5 minutes to do so. 

So for $40K, plus hours out of my day to recharge, plus many think charging is free.....its not free to recharge it, (plus here's the kicker!!) CarandDriver did a recent study on this and found that owning an EV over a combustion powered vehicle actually cost the consumer more money!!!! Where is the benefit!!  I'll keep my V8

https://www.caranddriver.com/shopping-advice/a32494027/ev-vs-gas-cheaper-to-own/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TNTSilverado said:

So my High Country was $60K out the door 3 years ago. I can average right at 380-400 miles if I baby it. It costs me around $80 with premium right now with our "pathetic" administration in office to fill it. When Trump was in office it was $45 with premium.  It took 5 minutes to do so. 

So for $40K, plus hours out of my day to recharge, plus many think charging is free.....its not free to recharge it, (plus here's the kicker!!) CarandDriver did a recent study on this and found that owning an EV over a combustion powered vehicle actually cost the consumer more money!!!! Where is the benefit!!  I'll keep my V8

https://www.caranddriver.com/shopping-advice/a32494027/ev-vs-gas-cheaper-to-own/

Buy the charger for your home and charge it while you sleep. With your way of thinking you probably would be on top in the end :)

It isn't free to recharge it, unless you go to one of the charging stations around town, but in comparison to a gas engine the cost is pretty damn cheap. Sub $20 for a full charge. 

That caranddriver article also takes into account depreciation which yes albeit is a "cost" of ownership, many drivers keep their vehicles for quite a while meaning sometimes depreciation does not come into play. If you removed the depreciation amount out of the equation you can see that the electric is $5k cheaper roughly.

Also the "cost more money" portion you included is pretty lame. $358 more to own an EV. Wow for $358 I can have instant torque and a nice quiet car to commute in? Don't mind if I do...

I saw the article about gas vs electric and price per mile gas is cheaper plus time spent waiting for the charge. No matter where you go you have to pay to recharge, at home you have to have a charger installed which cost money for the charger and install and don't forget your home electric bill goes up. What happens when these vehicles hit the used car market and 6-8 years old car on the lot who is going to buy them the battery alone will have to be replaced as they have a limited life and the cost to replace is anywhere from $4000 to 15,000 and loses 30-40 percent capacity after about 6 years worse in cold climates. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, shakenfake said:

That caranddriver article also takes into account depreciation which yes albeit is a "cost" of ownership, many drivers keep their vehicles for quite a while meaning sometimes depreciation does not come into play. If you removed the depreciation amount out of the equation you can see that the electric is $5k cheaper roughly.

Can’t remove depreciation in real life, and it’ll be a huge factor. Even if you “keep it forever”, 10-15 years into ownership, you will have 100k into an antiquated, undesirable vehicle that needs a $20,000 battery put into it. A truck full of obsolete tech and styling that went from trendy to dated. What would you do?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, OnTheReel said:

Can’t remove depreciation in real life, and it’ll be a huge factor. Even if you “keep it forever”, 10-15 years into ownership, you will have 100k into an antiquated, undesirable vehicle that needs a $20,000 battery put into it. A truck full of obsolete tech and styling that went from trendy to dated. What would you do?

I don’t know. I’d love to have my RX3 again, my first car. What a flop that was. Could happen with these electric thingies.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

It seems to me that cars/trucks are now going the way of iPhones in the EV space. They cost way too much, and aren't going to be worth much a few years later. 

But the automakers just want us to get on an annual payment plan and forget about true ownership. Just like most people with iPhones don't ever own them. They just make interest-free payments to Apple for 2 years, then re-start the process. Apple cashes out by putting massive margins into their limited-updated tech devices just to keep feeding the "new" cycle for the consumer. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, econometrics said:

It seems to me that cars/trucks are now going the way of iPhones in the EV space. They cost way too much, and aren't going to be worth much a few years later. 

But the automakers just want us to get on an annual payment plan and forget about true ownership. Just like most people with iPhones don't ever own them. They just make interest-free payments to Apple for 2 years, then re-start the process. Apple cashes out by putting massive margins into their limited-updated tech devices just to keep feeding the "new" cycle for the consumer. 

Very very true I dumped my flip phone several years ago because the battery wouldn't hold a charge that long and couldn't get a battery for it (special order) phone fit in my pocket nice, all my friends would make fun of me because I still had an old flip phone then when I HAD to upgrade to a smart phone, they damn near passed out, but I keep my phones till they just die.

1 hour ago, shakenfake said:

Buy the charger for your home and charge it while you sleep. With your way of thinking you probably would be on top in the end :)

It isn't free to recharge it, unless you go to one of the charging stations around town, but in comparison to a gas engine the cost is pretty damn cheap. Sub $20 for a full charge. 

Also the "cost more money" portion you included is pretty lame. $358 more to own an EV. Wow for $358 I can have instant torque and a nice quiet car to commute in? Don't mind if I do...

I guess you struggle with comprehension fella!!!  I said travel to the Black Hills from my house which is over 400 miles away. So ya charging at my house won’t cut it. I’m going to have to stop and charge. And I guarantee it won’t go 400 miles while pulling a trailer filled with 2 side by sides and 80 mph!!!  

And I don’t know where you are charging at but the few places we have here in Midwest I’ve seen close to $30 or higher to charge. And it will only go up the more EVs are sold and out driving around. Think about it!!!  It isn’t rocket science. 

Does the article state it costs more???  I don’t care if it’s $10. The FACT is that owning an EV costs more. Your debate is over.  As for instantaneous power. Laughable. You can have that EV Silverado and I’ll take a supercharged TRX and it will beat it. Go check all the reviews     So if GM got their head out of their @$$ and put an LT4 or even better LT5 in their trucks. It would be faster.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TNTSilverado said:

I guess you struggle with comprehension fella!!!  I said travel to the Black Hills from my house which is over 400 miles away. So ya charging at my house won’t cut it. I’m going to have to stop and charge. And I guarantee it won’t go 400 miles while pulling a trailer filled with 2 side by sides and 80 mph!!!  

And I don’t know where you are charging at but the few places we have here in Midwest I’ve seen close to $30 or higher to charge. And it will only go up the more EVs are sold and out driving around. Think about it!!!  It isn’t rocket science. 

Does the article state it costs more???  I don’t care if it’s $10. The FACT is that owning an EV costs more. Your debate is over.  As for instantaneous power. Laughable. You can have that EV Silverado and I’ll take a supercharged TRX and it will beat it. Go check all the reviews     So if GM got their head out of their @$$ and put an LT4 or even better LT5 in their trucks. It would be faster.  

Oh and a Silverado with an LT5 is worth $100k. This EV for that is a flipping joke!!!

• Like 1

I just wanna know how there is a $65,000 price different between a work truck and that top model.

There is not $65,000 worth of materials, technology or anything to even justify that. You can buy a whole other High County Silverado with that amount of money and think of all that crap that it takes just to build one of those trucks.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, f8l vnm said:

@Grumpy Bear please give us your thoughts sir .... :) How does this compare to the almighty 4.3 ?

I tried giving you multiple Haha emojis but can only do one. Well, played sir, guess only question left is how you can put Amsoil in it, and what would the OCI be for unused oil🤔😬

• Haha 2