2022 Silverado 2500HD 6.6 Gas Payload (CC SB)

Can somebody with a loaded 2022 (or 2021) 2500HD 6.6 Gas LT/LTZ (or similar with the options below) post their payload and GVWR?

My wife and I are looking at ordering a loaded 2022 gas 2500HD LT with the Z71 sport package, convenience and safety packages, 5th wheel package, leather bucket seats, sunroof, extra altnernator/battery, etc (pretty much every box checked). The GVWR will be 10,6500#'s, and I'm guessing with it fully loaded it will probably have a payload around 3,100? But I'm curious if anyone already has one or at least very similar what your payload ended up being.

Thanks!

Edited by Collin McCullick

• Collin McCullick changed the title to 2022 Silverado 2500HD 6.6 Gas Payload (CC SB)

Mine (22’ LT CCSB Z71, 6.6 gas) has a payload of 3562, but I don’t have a sunroof, 5th wheel prep, or extra battery. My GVWR is 10,650. For additional reference, my dad has a fully loaded 21’ LTZ Z71 w/ the Duramax. His payload is around 3350. He has the 5th wheel prep and everything. 

CE558643-6D98-4338-9EE7-D6229E19DC9B.jpeg

• Thanks 1

On 12/3/2021 at 11:19 PM, Collin McCullick said:

Can somebody with a loaded 2022 (or 2021) 2500HD 6.6 Gas LT/LTZ (or similar with the options below) post their payload and GVWR?

My wife and I are looking at ordering a loaded 2022 gas 2500HD LT with the Z71 sport package, convenience and safety packages, 5th wheel package, leather bucket seats, sunroof, extra altnernator/battery, etc (pretty much every box checked). The GVWR will be 10,6500#'s, and I'm guessing with it fully loaded it will probably have a payload around 3,100? But I'm curious if anyone already has one or at least very similar what your payload ended up being.

Thanks!

Is a high payload and towing capacity of importance?  If so, some things to keep in mind.

- Z71 Sport/Midnights/Alaskan.  If they have the 275/70R18 Hankook Mud Tire, towing drops.  Trailering goes down to 12,000lbs flat, no matter the engine option (especially diesels, which a crew cab standard with 18"s is rated for 18,500lbs but the Hankooks drop it to flat 12,000lbs).  If you are looking at one of these packages, try to find one that has the Michelins optioned back on to it (would have a -$95 credit on the window sticker) or that has 20"s on it.

- Avoid the 10,000GVWR de-rate, unless you need that GVWR for business purposes.  Payload and towing are HEAVILY hit on the de-rate trucks.

- Highest payloads will be on trucks with 18" (except the Hankook Mud tire) or 20" wheels, every time, no matter the cab or engine.  

- For obvious CYA/legal reasons, no, changing the Hankook tire out after buying the truck doesn't "legally raise" your payload and towing.  Truck will be rated for what it is rated.  

Here is a gas 2020 LTZ, crew standard box with 20"s, LTZ Convenience 1 and 2, no sunroof and VYU plow prep:

IMG_E2029.JPG

IMG_E2030.JPG

IMG_E2031.JPG

Edited by newdude
corrected info on the Hankook to reflect only a tow rating drop not payload and towing
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, newdude said:

Is a high payload and towing capacity of importance?  If so, some things to keep in mind.

- Z71 Sport/Midnights/Alaskan.  If they have the 275/70R18 Hankook Mud Tire, payload and towing drop.  Trailering goes down to 12,000lbs flat, no matter the engine option (especially diesels, which a crew cab standard with 18"s is rated for 18,500lbs but the Hankooks drop it to flat 12,000lbs).  If you are looking at one of these packages, try to find one that has the Michelins optioned back on to it (would have a -$95 credit on the window sticker) or that has 20"s on it.

- Avoid the 10,000GVWR de-rate, unless you need that GVWR for business purposes.  Payload and towing are HEAVILY hit on the de-rate trucks.

- Highest payloads will be on trucks with 18" (except the Hankook Mud tire) or 20" wheels, every time, no matter the cab or engine.  

- For obvious CYA/legal reasons, no, changing the Hankook tire out after buying the truck doesn't "legally raise" your payload and towing.  Truck will be rated for what it is rated.  

Here is a gas 2020 LTZ, crew standard box with 20"s, LTZ Convenience 1 and 2, no sunroof and VYU plow prep:

IMG_E2029.JPG

IMG_E2030.JPG

IMG_E2031.JPG

Thanks for the info! I was unaware the mud terrains de-rate the tow. Do you know if that shows up on the door sticker? Based on your followup comment I am assuming so.

Do you know how much it hits the payload rating? Because selecting any of those packages in the builder ups the GVWR to 10,650#. Seems odd that it would increase the GVWR and also lower the payload.

That really sucks, those tires look great!

We're planning on getting a 5th wheel, probably no more than 11,00# GVWR; so we are wanting to hit 3,000# payload capacity.

23 hours ago, newdude said:

- Z71 Sport/Midnights/Alaskan.  If they have the 275/70R18 Hankook Mud Tire, payload and towing drop.  Trailering goes down to 12,000lbs flat, no matter the engine option (especially diesels, which a crew cab standard with 18"s is rated for 18,500lbs but the Hankooks drop it to flat 12,000lbs).  If you are looking at one of these packages, try to find one that has the Michelins optioned back on to it (would have a -$95 credit on the window sticker) or that has 20"s on it.

IMG_E2029.JPG

IMG_E2030.JPG

IMG_E2031.JPG

The hankook tires only lower coventional towing to 12,000 lbs.  The payload and gooseneck numbers are the same as the standard 18 or 20 tires.

#iworkforGM

1 hour ago, MTU Alum said:

The hankook tires only lower coventional towing to 12,000 lbs.  The payload and gooseneck numbers are the same as the standard 18 or 20 tires.

#iworkforGM

Thanks for clarifying that! 

Do you know if there is a way to get a close approximate payload for a custom build?

I'm honestly surprised that automakers don't have a section for approximate payload in the summary. It doesn't seem like it would be that difficult to just add weight numbers to each option on the back end and then show you the approximate calculated payload based on your specific build. 

I had a 2020 ccsb 2wd LT 2500 loaded and it was 3600lbs payload........10,350 GVWR

Now have 2022 LT 2500 4x4 fairly loaded but its dbl cab and lowered 10,000 GVWR...payload is 3100lbs (fine for what i do)

both of these trucks have 18'' rims with michelins

tbh i would just get a 3500 next time.....the ride is the same (close enough) and you get more capacity.......

i believe they just use a different torsion bar for different GVWR is that correct?

Edited by Dunn

22 hours ago, Collin McCullick said:

Thanks for clarifying that! 

Do you know if there is a way to get a close approximate payload for a custom build?

I'm honestly surprised that automakers don't have a section for approximate payload in the summary. It doesn't seem like it would be that difficult to just add weight numbers to each option on the back end and then show you the approximate calculated payload based on your specific build. 

The online order guide almost every year always had the Model Weights and Options calculator that you could spec out the truck from cab, drivetrain, and every available options to get a fairly accurate payload on how the truck would be based on its total build.

For some reason, GM stopped uploading the page for it.  Last one they did was the 2020 model year.  Kinda dumb to me, even if the door tags have all the details as for someone who is building to a certain spec would find it useful.  

https://www.gmfleetorderguide.com/NASApp/domestic/weightcalc.jsp?vehicleid=21694&regionid=1&step=1

21 hours ago, MTU Alum said:

There is not anything out there for calculating payload.  The payloads listed on internet are base model payload.  Tire/wheel, sunroof, fifth wheel prep, and spray in bedliners are options that have significant mass inceeases with them.  

#iworkforGM

So why is it that the Hankook, which has the same 125 load index as the Michelins, is the tow rating cut so much?  Makes no sense.  

Hankook likes to sway with conventional trailer.  MT and other aggressive tires can be not great trailering tires due to having softer compounds and tread blocks that are not as stiff.  The load rating on the tire has no bearing on the tires ability to trailer.  

#iworkforGM

9 minutes ago, MTU Alum said:

Hankook likes to sway with conventional trailer.  MT and other aggressive tires can be not great trailering tires due to having softer compounds and tread blocks that are not as stiff.  The load rating on the tire has no bearing on the tires ability to trailer.  

#iworkforGM

Well.  That seems like a huge oversight from whatever engineering department handles tire choices.  Just like the power tailgate release with no secondary manual handle on the gate so when the battery dies, you could still be able to open the gate.  A combo handle with a button style assembly would have been the SMART thing there.  The # of actuators we install at work keeps climbing.  Hard.  

Back on topic.  Why not have just put on a tire that is more aggressive than those so called "AT" Michelin LTX AT2 but less aggressive than the Hankook Dynapro MT2?  Something like the Firestone Destination XT that would potentially offer more sway control and not lead to a towing reduction?

Firestone Destination X/T | LT275/70R18 (tirerack.com)

Edited by newdude