Well after waiting for someone to come up with a DYI way of changing out the fluid on these new 10 speeds, I broke down and just had the dealer do it.  So now my Silverado with 24k miles on it now has  a complete fluid exchange over to AMSOIL's ATL fluid. 

Not much of a difference other that it feels like the shifts are crisper if that makes sense.  I will know more on how it does with the fluid cold tomorrow morning. Although it is only going to get down to 50 here tonight. 

The dealership that did it is the same one that I purchased my truck from. Total cost was $130 and I provided the fluid of course.  Took them an hour to do.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/17/2021 at 6:28 PM, Black02Silverado said:

Well after waiting for someone to come up with a DYI way of changing out the fluid on these new 10 speeds, I broke down and just had the dealer do it.  So now my Silverado with 24k miles on it now has  a complete fluid exchange over to AMSOIL's ATL fluid. 

Not much of a difference other that it feels like the shifts are crisper if that makes sense.  I will know more on how it does with the fluid cold tomorrow morning. Although it is only going to get down to 50 here tonight. 

The dealership that did it is the same one that I purchased my truck from. Total cost was $130 and I provided the fluid of course.  Took them an hour to do.

How many bottles do you recommend to get for the flush? Needing to get this done as well.

9 hours ago, LightProbs said:

How many bottles do you recommend to get for the flush? Needing to get this done as well.

They used 16qts out of the 24 qts I took them.  I didn't mind having left over qts.  I can use it later on when I do my other vehicles.  Better to have to much then not enough so I would at least take 18qts.

6 hours ago, TxTruckMan said:

Is the AMSOIL ATF GM approved or does this void your warranty?  Not seeing why anybody would want to do this?

It will no void the warranty.  It exceeds the dexron specifications and is a true full synthetic fluid.  I believe by me using AMSOIL's ATF and ATL from the beginning is why my vehicles transmission have lasted as long as they have and are doing well.  My 2002 Silverado had 200k on it when I sold it and the UOA for it came back good right before I sold it. This was even with it towing a 4Klbs trailer up and down I-40.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2021 at 10:17 AM, TxTruckMan said:

Is the AMSOIL ATF GM approved or does this void your warranty?  Not seeing why anybody would want to do this?

Be sure to use the Dex  ULV trans fluid.

Do not use the Dex VI of Dex III you might have for other GM's.

Also, don't use Dex ULV in those other applications. 

It's only available in quarts -- apparently they need to be shaken before being added to transmission.

https://gmserviceinsights.com/use-the-right-transmission-fluid/

thumbnail_crop.jpg

SERVICE REPAIR NEWS FROM YOUR PARTS DEALER

USE THE RIGHT TRANSMISSION FLUID

ACDELCO OFFERINGS COVER SEVERAL APPLICATIONS

When it comes to transmission fluids, one size doesn’t necessarily fit all.

That’s why, when servicing a customer’s transmission, it’s important to check the specification to make sure you’re using the right fluid. A misapplication could cause performance issues.

With that in mind, ACDelco offers a range of high-quality fluids for a variety of transmissions — from automatic to manual to dual clutch — that are designed to keep the gearboxes running smoothly.

For example, ACDelco GM OE DEXRON®-VI, DEXRON® ULV and ACDelco Gold ATF III automatic transmission fluids:

• Feature a synthetic formulation with high shear stability and oxidation resistance

• Provide superior year-round protection and performance

• Offer anti-wear protection to extend equipment life

• Help ensure smoother shifting and reduced shudder

• Help extend service life and performance

ACDELCO DCT FFL-4 FOR CORVETTE
In addition to the above, ACDelco offers DCT FFL-4 transmission fluid that’s designed for the Chevrolet Corvette C8, which is equipped with an advanced dual-clutch transmission that employs friction plates/clutches instead of a torque converter to launch the vehicle. ServiceInsights_ENEWS_Use-the-Right-Transmission-Fluid-.png

FFL-4 is vital for the proper maintenance and operation of the C8’s dual-clutch transmission and provides the correct chemistry to properly protect it. The fluid also optimizes gear wear while enhancing friction stability for extended intervals at different temperatures.

To view the full line of available ACDelco transmission fluid products, visit ACDelco.com.

AT-A-GLANCE: ACDELCO AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUIDS

TYPE AVAILABLE QUANTITIES APPLICATION
DEXRON VI Quart, Gallon or Drum GM auto transmission where a DEXRON VI, earlier-generation DEXRON or AW-1 fluid is specified.1
DEXRON ULV Quart Fully synthetic ultra-low viscosity for use in 10-speed transmissions. Not a suitable replacement for DEXRON III or DEXRON VI.
ATF Type III (H) Quart, Gallon or Drum

GM auto transmissions from 2005-and-earlier model-year vehicles that are no longer under warranty, where the OEM previously specified DEXRON III H, DEXRON II or DEXRON ATF.2

1. Recommended for use in GM transmissions model year 2006 and newer calling for DEXRON®-VI and replaces DEXRON III (H) and DEXRON II (E). Also recommended for any other vehicle manufacturers that call for DEXRON®-VI, Type III or II (E).
  2. Not recommended for use in newer automatic transmissions that require a GM DEXRON-VI, Ford MERCONLV, Ford MERCON SP or Ford MERCON V fluid for warranty coverage. Not recommended for continuously variable transmissions (CVTs).

On 12/8/2021 at 3:58 PM, Black02Silverado said:

It will no void the warranty.  It exceeds the dexron specifications and is a true full synthetic fluid.  I believe by me using AMSOIL's ATF and ATL from the beginning is why my vehicles transmission have lasted as long as they have and are doing well.  My 2002 Silverado had 200k on it when I sold it and the UOA for it came back good right before I sold it. This was even with it towing a 4Klbs trailer up and down I-40.

It's not approved by GM but won't void your warrant?  How do you figure that?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TxTruckMan said:

Because you will not have any issues using it and GM can't tell it isn't dexron VI by looking at it or doing a used oil analysis on it.  It exceeds the specification and GM would have to show it caused the issue. Also AMSOIL covers their products with their own warranty.  If a used oil analysis came back from a third party lab showing that the fluid was out of specification, AMSOIL would cover the repair.

It seems all of the issues that GM is having on their transmission is cause by tuning and faulty parts.  At least that is how I read into all the threads that come up it seems daily on transmission issues.  ie, they replaced my torque converter, they replaced my valve body, they updated my transmission with the latest updates, they changed out to the new Mobil 1 fluid (which makes one wonder why they chose a fluid that wasn't up to spec and had to reformulate in the firsts place) 

Edited by Black02Silverado
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Black02Silverado said:

Because you will not have any issues using it and GM can't tell it isn't dexron VI by looking at it or doing a used oil analysis on it.  It exceeds the specification and GM would have to show it caused the issue. Also AMSOIL covers their products with their own warranty.  If a used oil analysis came back from a third party lab showing that the fluid was out of specification, AMSOIL would cover the repair.

It seems all of the issues that GM is having on their transmission is cause by tuning and faulty parts.  At least that is how I read into all the threads that come up it seems daily on transmission issues.  ie, they replaced my torque converter, they replaced my valve body, they updated my transmission with the latest updates, they changed out to the new Mobil 1 fluid (which makes one wonder why they chose a fluid that wasn't up to spec and had to reformulate in the firsts place) 

Ok.  Got it.  But in your case you went to the dealership for the fluid swap.  You don't think they noted that in their files?  That you supplied a different fluid?  I'm just curious as to how this all works.

I'm also curious, how many engines and transmissions has AMSOIL replaced over the years with their warranty?  I'm betting zero, because like you said, it would hard to prove that the oil caused the problem.

1 hour ago, TxTruckMan said:

Ok.  Got it.  But in your case you went to the dealership for the fluid swap.  You don't think they noted that in their files?  That you supplied a different fluid?  I'm just curious as to how this all works.

I'm also curious, how many engines and transmissions has AMSOIL replaced over the years with their warranty?  I'm betting zero, because like you said, it would hard to prove that the oil caused the problem.

I went to the dealer because they know this new 10sp.  Also not concerned with it being noted that it was AMSOIL in the system.  It is a great fluid and is superior to AC Delco.  I have talked to other AMSOIL dealers and they have not had anyone customers with issues using AMSOIL fluids of any kind.  I specifically talked with AMSOIL Technical services.  They expressed that the fluid was tested on all applications with extensive hours of operation to make sure it met all criteria of the components tested in.  Serious R&D is done before AMSOIL recommends any fluids.

I know this is hear say, but one AMSOIL dealer I talked to at a meeting expressed one of his long time customers had been using AMSOIL for a really long time and had an engine go bad.  He blamed the oil, but a UOA showed that it wasn't the oils fault but that there was extensive coolant in the oil from a bad head gasket.  Turns out AMSOIL paid to have his engine replaced under good will and that he was a long time valued customer.  Again, this is from another dealer and his long time customer.

I believe in the product and is why I use it in everything I own that AMSOIL has a product for.  What got me started back in 1999 was the 2 cycle mix.  Ran it in my Jet Ski and loved the way it performed and was sold since.

20 hours ago, TxTruckMan said:

It's called the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.  It's federal law.  Using non-OEM parts is not sufficient means for voiding a warranty.  The manufacturer has to be able to prove the aftermarket part caused the failure in order to deny warranty repairs. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/14/2021 at 7:24 AM, Transient said:

It's called the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.  It's federal law.  Using non-OEM parts is not sufficient means for voiding a warranty.  The manufacturer has to be able to prove the aftermarket part caused the failure in order to deny warranty repairs. 

Correct, and as long as the fluid meets or exceeds the vehicle manufactures specs you are free to use what ever fluid you want in the vehicle.

• Like 1