GM not honoring Friends and Family Discount now

Am trying to pull the trigger on a new GMC 2500 and a mew Yukon XL for the wife as well. Have built and got the numbers to get the GM pricing on both and can not get any dealer within 100 miles of Auburn, AL to honor the pricing. Have called 5 different GMC dealerships.  My grandfather owned a GMC dealership for over 30 years and now GM won’t honor the prices for the Friends and Family discount. This is crazy. They’re both around $6500-$7500 each so we’re looking at around $14,000 total saved on both vehicles. Any advice or just hold and wait on the economy to bust?

13 hours ago, Gabe Bunn said:

Am trying to pull the trigger on a new GMC 2500 and a mew Yukon XL for the wife as well. Have built and got the numbers to get the GM pricing on both and can not get any dealer within 100 miles of Auburn, AL to honor the pricing. Have called 5 different GMC dealerships.  My grandfather owned a GMC dealership for over 30 years and now GM won’t honor the prices for the Friends and Family discount. This is crazy. They’re both around $6500-$7500 each so we’re looking at around $14,000 total saved on both vehicles. Any advice or just hold and wait on the economy to bust?

Just shop around Ive known a few people that have used it around here.  Its not GM its the dealer.  Find a non greedy dealer

Normally, I'd say that's kinda crappy on the dealer's part. Not this time, though. The way the market is and inventory so low, I can see them not doing a Friends and Family discount. They know that those vehicles will sell fast, probably at MSRP or above. If they had many on their lot and were trying to move them, you'd get the discount.

7 minutes ago, ShotgunZ71 said:

Normally, I'd say that's kinda crappy on the dealer's part. Not this time, though. The way the market is and inventory so low, I can see them not doing a Friends and Family discount. They know that those vehicles will sell fast, probably at MSRP or above. If they had many on their lot and were trying to move them, you'd get the discount.

heres the deal when the economy downturns the dealers and manufactures will beg people to buy cars or even want to borrow money to stay alive.  Now they want to charge more because they can,  doesnt work both ways. 

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, nards444 said:

heres the deal when the economy downturns the dealers and manufactures will beg people to buy cars or even want to borrow money to stay alive.  Now they want to charge more because they can,  doesnt work both ways. 

Yes, it does. That's exactly how the free enterprise market works. Everything in short supply with a high demand will have a higher price.

There's a bit of evidence during this that once the shortages are remedied, production numbers may stay lower than before so that the pricing can be elevated going forward. Maybe not much increased, but more inline with MSRP. We've all gotten used to these large rebates, etc, but they may not stick around.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I bought trucks many years. I didn’t have to buy at the time when I did. I've had a few specialty type vehicles I’ve paid sticker for. They held their value better than most. Of course if you have an over valued trade in it’s a wash. Otherwise paying these inflated prices is foolish and you will be rewarded when you trade those in. Then the real crying starts. They will be happy to roll that in to the next ride. Fool me once. 

On 9/22/2021 at 2:39 PM, ShotgunZ71 said:

Yes, it does. That's exactly how the free enterprise market works. Everything in short supply with a high demand will have a higher price.

There's a bit of evidence during this that once the shortages are remedied, production numbers may stay lower than before so that the pricing can be elevated going forward. Maybe not much increased, but more inline with MSRP. We've all gotten used to these large rebates, etc, but they may not stick around.

I get free enterprise and ok fine.  But there is also gouging which this isnt it but your later half of your statement is.

Bottom line its not free enterprise during a down turn to ask tax payers to pay more money and beg for hand outs.  Then ask those tax payers to pay more for your product in times like this.  You cant have both of these and call it free enterprise.

Edited by nards444

21 hours ago, KARNUT said:

I bought trucks many years. I didn’t have to buy at the time when I did. I've had a few specialty type vehicles I’ve paid sticker for. They held their value better than most. Of course if you have an over valued trade in it’s a wash. Otherwise paying these inflated prices is foolish and you will be rewarded when you trade those in. Then the real crying starts. They will be happy to roll that in to the next ride. Fool me once. 

Yup I give it 12 months maybe 18 tops and there is going to be a lot of crying folks out there when their 85k truck over priced by 10-15k is worth 50k at trade in two years.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, nards444 said:

I get free enterprise and ok fine.  But there is also gouging which this isnt it but your later half of your statement.

Bottom line its not free enterprise during a down turn to tax tax payers money and beg for hand outs.  Then ask those tax payers to pay more for your product in times like this.  You cant have both of these and call it free enterprise.

Agree, anything higher than MSRP is gouging. Market adjustment, etc. is a pile of crap. If MSRP is the highest it goes, it's fair game. The whole buying process would be better if MSRP were adjusted to actual purchase prices and do away with rebates and such. They'd never do that, though, because in normal times you always have some that just pay whatever so they can get it and leave.

Have tried 5 different dealers and have gotten the same answer at each one. None honoring the discount and all wanting anywhere between $5K-$10K over MSRP. Crazy times we’re in. Can’t see me paying $10K more than a depreciating asset costs. That’s how to really lose my butt. Really want a truck but can’t see it happening any time soon like this. 

1 hour ago, Gabe Bunn said:

Have tried 5 different dealers and have gotten the same answer at each one. None honoring the discount and all wanting anywhere between $5K-$10K over MSRP. Crazy times we’re in. Can’t see me paying $10K more than a depreciating asset costs. That’s how to really lose my butt. Really want a truck but can’t see it happening any time soon like this. 

Patients grasshopper....patients

Like Dot com and the housing bubble this will run it's course like a case of the flu and when it does dealerships will be unloading those overpriced junkets that they have been loading the lots with. Besides, I, personally, wouldn't spend a nickel on a truck whose features have been neutered because of the chip shortage when they have already signaled that they will not restore those features when they are again flush. That's nuts! 10K over list for half a truck and LESS services? 

If I have enough resources to buy NEW then I have enough resources for it not to matter. 

Wait till they get their heads out of their.....well.....ya know.....toilets.