AUTO START/STOP FEATURE DELETED

Reference Number: GCUS-9-11418

2021 Model Year Full Size Truck & SUV Feature Change

June 7, 2021

Chevrolet, GMC and Cadillac Dealers:

As promised, we want to continue to keep you in the loop regarding the global, industry-wide shortage of semiconductors.  Today, due to this shortage, we are announcing a new change to select full-size SUV and light duty full-size pickup truck powertrains.  The Automatic Stop/Start feature will no longer be available on certain 2021 model year:

• Chevrolet Tahoe and Suburban
  • GMC Yukon and Yukon XL
  • Cadillac Escalade and Escalade ESV
  • Chevrolet Silverado 1500
  • GMC Sierra 1500

This affects only vehicles equipped with 5.3L (L84) and 6.2L (L87) V8 engines mated to 10-speed transmissions (MQB/MQC) starting with vehicles produced on or after June 7, 2021. By taking this measure, it will enable continued production and delivery of inventory to help respond to the strong customer and dealer demand for our full-size SUV and pick-ups as the industry continues to rebound and strengthen.

For orders with a scheduled production date on or after June 7, 2021, GM will build most full-size SUV and full-size pickup trucks equipped with a V8 engine and 10-speed automatic transmission with the added RPO code NSS- Not Equipped with Automatic Stop/Start (refer to the updated Order Guide and table below for trim details). This RPO code will be reflected on the Dealer Invoice along with an associated $50 MSRP credit.  The Monroney label will include this credit and indicate that the vehicle was built without Automatic Stop/Start.  These vehicles will also receive revised EPA certified fuel economy estimates.   Please note that any vehicle that has NSS is not equipped with Automatic Stop/Start technology, even if the vehicle also includes the KL9 RPO code (which was retained based on other components that remain on the vehicle). Chevrolet, GMC and Cadillac are updating all consumer and dealer facing materials as appropriate.

Any sold orders of these affected vehicles which have not been entered in the Production Order Management and Scheduling system by June 8, 2021, will be built without Automatic Stop/Start.  The dealer has the responsibility to and must advise affected sold order customers immediately. In addition, dealers are strongly urged to counsel directly with all customers who purchase affected vehicles to ensure each customer understands its vehicle content and efficiency.  This change to the availability of Automatic Stop/Start is currently expected to remain in place for the remainder of the 2021MY.  A listing of affected trims is listed below and is subject to change by General Motors:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BossTaco2020 said:

I will gladly donate the electronics to any Chevy dealer willing to take this horrible "feature" off my truck.

Same!!!  LOL

• Like 1

I'm very eager to see the revised MPG estimates without Auto Start/Stop (ASS). [Pun intended]

I have never thought ASS would improve mileage much, so I already wonder how much the EPA will influence what manufacturers are allowed to publish.

Edit: I'm definitely not a fan of ASS and turn it off every time I start my truck. And I'm considering the eliminator harness as well (reverses the default from on to off).

https://www.autostopeliminator.com/collections/gm/products/2019-silverado-sierra-autostop-eliminator 

Edited by Chevrolet1
  • Haha 1

So all jokes aside, what are the details on this?  Is this a chip that can just be removed or is there a new chip they're using that just doesn't have this feature?  I know I can get the eliminator, but if there's a factory method for just removing something that sounds safer and easier.

On 6/11/2021 at 10:46 AM, Chester Mooney said:

So all jokes aside, what are the details on this?  Is this a chip that can just be removed or is there a new chip they're using that just doesn't have this feature?  I know I can get the eliminator, but if there's a factory method for just removing something that sounds safer and easier.

Probably not as easy as you want it to be. If the chip or the module that controls ASS is not there they probably changed the program to not function. In other words GM probably turned that feature off in the program. Now if you were to do the same. Remove the chip/module yourself. I bet it would throw codes and your check engine light would come on. Because the program would trying to use that system but the controller you removed is not there. 

If this carries over into the 2022 model year I may look to trade my 2021 in just to get rid of S/S.   Since AutoStop is such as great feature I assume my truck will be worth a premium on trade.  LOL

Edited by elcamino