Fumoto Valves

Since I do the maintenance for all our vehicles myself, oil changes get to be a headache/mess at times with multiple vehicles.  After reading a post or two in the past (I believe one was on this site) about Fumoto Oil Drain valves, I decided to pick a few up to see how well they work long term.  I do have some questions though and I was wondering if anybody might be able to answer them through experience.

1.  Any internal seal issues with the valve over prolonged periods of usage (75K+ miles)?

2.  Any internal seal issues with the valve when going from extreme cold to engine operating temperature (Usage in Alaska and Canada)?

3.  Any issues with the valves contacting the ground or obstacles when off road driving?

I'm kinda excited about giving them a try and I expect there to be no real issues, but I would just like to be aware of any known issues so that I can prepare for them accordingly.

I've been using Fumoto drain valves in a variety of vehicles for decades now and I've never had a single issue, whether during Alaska winters or Arizona summers.  I don't off-road my truck, so I can't speak about clearance issues.  My Jeep is armor-plated underneath, so the Fumoto is well protected.  I would cover with a skid plate if doing any serious off-roading.  

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, AlaskaErik said:

I've been using Fumoto drain valves in a variety of vehicles for decades now and I've never had a single issue, whether during Alaska winters or Arizona summers.  I don't off-road my truck, so I can't speak about clearance issues.  My Jeep is armor-plated underneath, so the Fumoto is well protected.  I would cover with a skid plate if doing any serious off-roading.  

Awesome, thats the kind of information I was hoping to get, thanks!

9 hours ago, SporkLover said:

I've got one on my LS3 Equipped SS Sedan.  Never leaks, no issues with weather or hitting things on the ground whatsoever. 

I almost purchased a Chevy SS before purchasing the truck.  I was a gnat's ass hair away when that family bug started buzzing in my ear some ridiculous nonsense about needing more room and cargo space for kids sports, camping, etc.  I don't regret the choice to go with the truck, but dang, the SS is the last 4 door sedan with a RWD V8 and manual transmission from GM....slightly jealous 😃

On 5/19/2021 at 10:56 AM, Gangly said:

oil changes get to be a headache/mess at times with multiple vehicles. 

So in a round-about way you're asking if your oil were to drain out while driving down the highway would you be SOL and buying a new engine?

The answer is yes.

I had one on my 2002 Silverado for over 200k miles no issues.  Sure makes hot oil changes easier.  Like pulling in the driveway right off a long 4hr drive down the interstate and up on the ramps and under it to open it up and let the hot oil out. 

I would like to add...get the one with a nipple.  That way you can attach a length of clear vinyl tubing that reaches the oil drain container.  Otherwise it will splatter, just like it does when you remove a drain plug.

1 hour ago, AlaskaErik said:

I would like to add...get the one with a nipple.  That way you can attach a length of clear vinyl tubing that reaches the oil drain container.  Otherwise it will splatter, just like it does when you remove a drain plug.

I did.  I ordered three valves with the small oil drain nipples and one plastic hose with the two fittings.  I'm sure I'll lose that hose in no time flat, but hopefully not. :)  

• Like 1

I've used a fumoto valve on my current truck for over 100,000 km. Best thing I ever did for vehicle maintenance. It makes oil changes so much easier and less messy.
I have the nipple on mine & just run a length of rubber hose from it into a 10 liter jug to catch the old oil.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/20/2021 at 1:27 PM, Gangly said:

I did.  I ordered three valves with the small oil drain nipples and one plastic hose with the two fittings.  I'm sure I'll lose that hose in no time flat, but hopefully not. :)  

Which model did you end up purchasing?  https://www.fumotousa.com/cars-pickups-chevrolet-2021-silverado-1500-6-2l-v8

2 hours ago, puppykat33 said:

Here is some new black magic

give this a try i have heard lots of satisfied customers on the camaro forum

https://www.valvomax.com/

Thanks for the heads up.  I've already received 3 of the Fomoto valves and will be swapping them out on the next oil changes.  However, if I have any difficulty or issues with them Ill check out the valvomax.  Thanks again for the heads up.

5 hours ago, puppykat33 said:

Here is some new black magic

give this a try i have heard lots of satisfied customers on the camaro forum

https://www.valvomax.com/

No mention of how you change out the oil filter.  Oh yeah, you still need an oil drain pan after all.  And that flimsy paper funnel.  What a joke.  I anchor my oil funnel to the windshield wiper with one of those tiny bungee cords I thought I'd never use.  That way it doesn't move around as I'm pouring from a five quart jug.  Valvomax may look appealing...until you actually use it.