Added OEM trailer brake controller

Hey everyone,

I bought a 2014 Sierra 1500 back in September that was perfect EXCEPT it didn’t come with the oem brake controller. So I contacted my local GM dealer and gave them my vin. They looked up my truck and verified that it was built including the trailering package. This is important because I’ve seen that your trucks computer has to be programmed to accept the oem trailer brake controller, the piece isn’t just plug and play. So I verified this with the dealership. 

*I’m really thrown off that my truck has everything in the trailer package for that year except for the brake controller*

I purchased an OEM piece from another GM dealer on eBay, ACDelco and everything. Plugged it in and haven’t received an alert but I also can’t tell if it’s working. I’m going to try plugging a trailer with brakes in and see if anything changes or if the controller does anything. But from what I’ve seen I should already see a new info page for the brake controller.

I’ll update the thread later whether or not it worked, regardless I’ll leave the thread up in case anyone else is in the same boat. If anyone has suggestions or advice it would be much obliged. 

19 minutes ago, Ryan Amey said:

Hey everyone,

I bought a 2014 Sierra 1500 back in September that was perfect EXCEPT it didn’t come with the oem brake controller. So I contacted my local GM dealer and gave them my vin. They looked up my truck and verified that it was built including the trailering package. This is important because I’ve seen that your trucks computer has to be programmed to accept the oem trailer brake controller, the piece isn’t just plug and play. So I verified this with the dealership. 

*I’m really thrown off that my truck has everything in the trailer package for that year except for the brake controller*

I purchased an OEM piece from another GM dealer on eBay, ACDelco and everything. Plugged it in and haven’t received an alert but I also can’t tell if it’s working. I’m going to try plugging a trailer with brakes in and see if anything changes or if the controller does anything. But from what I’ve seen I should already see a new info page for the brake controller.

I’ll update the thread later whether or not it worked, regardless I’ll leave the thread up in case anyone else is in the same boat. If anyone has suggestions or advice it would be much obliged. 

There are two RPO's that are needed, but this is the one that has to be present for this to work. Z82 is the standard trailer package. Both RPO's will be in your glove box on the options/build sticker.

What did your dash panel look like before you added the factory item?

image.thumb.png.f0a79c74a230e6b854add0322c8f37c3.png

It's not going to work. You are going to find that you are going down a rabbit hole that many before you have tried and failed at. It's more than simply plugging the OEM brake controller into the harness that you will probably find behind that panel.  Trailering package doesn't mean it should have OEM trailer brake control. Trailering package simy means that you are probably wired up in rear for a trailer as well as have a hitch and most likely a locking rear differential. You will need an aftermarket brake controller to get the trailer brakes to work. You will probably find a connector on inside firewall that you can plug in the aftermarket one to be able to control your trailer brakes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, JimCost2014 said:

There are two RPO's that are needed, but this is the one that has to be present for this to work. Z82 is the standard trailer package. Both RPO's will be in your glove box on the options/build sticker.

What did your dash panel look like before you added the factory item?

image.thumb.png.f0a79c74a230e6b854add0322c8f37c3.png

I just checked the build sticker and found the Z82 but could not find the JL1 code. If I understand you, the JL1 is required for the brake controller to work?

My dash panel had the lighting dial in the bottom left, the light selection dial in bottom right. Above that was the 4WD dial and at the top where the brake controller would be there was a pocket. The new piece I purchased has the panel and the brake controller included. 

18 minutes ago, mikeyk101 said:

It's not going to work. You are going to find that you are going down a rabbit hole that many before you have tried and failed at. It's more than simply plugging the OEM brake controller into the harness that you will probably find behind that panel.  Trailering package doesn't mean it should have OEM trailer brake control. Trailering package simy means that you are probably wired up in rear for a trailer as well as have a hitch and most likely a locking rear differential. You will need an aftermarket brake controller to get the trailer brakes to work. You will probably find a connector on inside firewall that you can plug in the aftermarket one to be able to control your trailer brakes.

Have you attempted before?

4 minutes ago, Ryan Amey said:

Have you attempted before?

No, I didn't bother even trying after seeing the countless number of threads that ended in failure. I have yet to see even 1 successful attempt to get it working. Go ahead and give it a try but make sure to post your results. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, mikeyk101 said:

No, I didn't bother even trying after seeing the countless number of threads that ended in failure. I have yet to see even 1 successful attempt to get it working. Go ahead and give it a try but make sure to post your results. 

I’ll be sure to post. I’ve already got the part so I’m into it already, might as well see it through. I’ll also tag/quote you when I give up or find a solution. 

Just now, Ryan Amey said:

I’ll be sure to post. I’ve already got the part so I’m into it already, might as well see it through. I’ll also tag/quote you when I give up or find a solution. 

You will be a hero if you figure out how to get it working but unfortunately I'm doubtful this will be the case...

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Ryan Amey said:

I just checked the build sticker and found the Z82 but could not find the JL1 code. If I understand you, the JL1 is required for the brake controller to work?

My dash panel had the lighting dial in the bottom left, the light selection dial in bottom right. Above that was the 4WD dial and at the top where the brake controller would be there was a pocket. The new piece I purchased has the panel and the brake controller included. 

No JL1 code means your truck will not work with the parts you just purchased.

The "code" is embedded in the truck's control module's and can not be added at a later time.

Suck's but just the way it comes from the factory. You had plenty of signs that the dealership should have figured out before giving you bad information.

just buy s $40 timer brake controller, and the harness from curt brakes.. the inertia controllers are not as good as a timer style IMO

WAMS.com can probably make it work , probabl $1200 to gain entry into the BCM

Edited by pokismoki

19 minutes ago, pokismoki said:

just buy s $40 timer brake controller, and the harness from curt brakes.. the inertia controllers are not as good as a timer style IMO

WAMS.com can probably make it work , probabl $1200 to gain entry into the BCM

If I have to buy aftermarket I will, but I prefer not to. I’ve had aftermarket on trucks prior and I’ve found I just don’t like how intrusive they can be in your leg space. Could possibly mount it differently but I’d prefer to look into oem first. I have a local shop I go to that programmed the active fuel management out of my truck so I plan to call them when they open tomorrow.

JL1 is the Integrated Trailer Brake Controller.  Integrated means that the wiring harness is different as well as the programming for the ECM, BCM and EBCM among others.  JL1 equipped trucks also include a Solid State Relay and the Integrated Trailer Brake Control module.

All you've done is buy the switch.

Now, this is the case for my older GMT900.  I'm pretty sure this still applies to the K2s, my memory is failing me.  The T1 guys, can just plug it in and it works if memory serves.

So for you Ryan, look along the driver's side frame for this:

ITBC1.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pokismoki said:

I think there is different ideas on what works best and that's why there are different options and opinions. As long as you get the trailer to stop with the vehicle, you win. In my case, I prefer a inertia/proportional controller and have the Tekonsha Prodigy P3 on mine. I like that it is able to sense how strong or how light I brake and proportionally apply the brakes according to that and it's immediate as soon as I step on the brakes. This is especially important in a panic stop. A timer based controller wouldn't give you immediate braking in that situation. Where there might be an issue with the proportional controller is on ice or snow and might not sense how hard you are braking if ABS kicks in. But this will probably be a non issue as the trailer will probably be parked in winter and not get used.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1