How to add cab lights to a 2020+ Silverado

On 11/21/2022 at 12:36 AM, hotairgypsy said:

glad my how too is still helping others...

I installed cab lights on my 1999 Ford Powerstroke but it seemed much easier because it did not have a sunroof and back then, there was no such thing as worrying about reprogramming plus it did not require square holes. The wires just ran down behind the window pillar cover and connected to a wire behind the passenger side of the dash. I was very nervous about doing a project like this, but a friend had done the same thing and reassured me that I could do it and it turned out great.

I'd like to install the cab lights on my 2022, 1500 AT4 but I'd like to know is the contour of the roof on a 1500 the same as a 2500/3500. I'd hate to cut the holes in the roof and find out that the contour of the roof is not the same.

This was a great step by step write up. Good work.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2021 at 10:09 PM, hotairgypsy said:

So this pic is the backside of the center light center attachment point so you can see what is looks like after it was screwed down

20210410_131206.thumb.jpg.88a4646d54a12b5367bcee66a513fe96.jpg

How i got access on the inside was my own way due to having a sunroof...I cannot speak for headliner removal without sunroof.  So if i was doing this over again I would first remove the side pillar cover that covers the front seat belts...It has 2 10mm screws and a 7mm screw to be removed.  There are a couple of clips holding the panel in place.  just pull towards the interior and they will come off easy.

sidepilars.thumb.jpg.3775f48dfcf745380d5c048ed5bdeeb6.jpg

i just placed the covers in behind the front seats just out of the way.  next you need to pull down the rubber door gasket on both sides and I just let them droop.

doorstripping.thumb.jpg.f2e5a5f4bdfa0f83f5070ed9883a6929.jpg

The your off to the window pillar covers on both sides...once you get to two covers off there will be 2 10mm screws on both sides...there is a really strong clip holding the panel on so you will have to pull on the upper part in towards the stereo...they are really grabbing on...i broke one side removing it.  you can see the clip in one of the following pics.

windowpilarsa.thumb.jpg.0db7cc4e16ea29bbc06559a6823891f0.jpg

you can see the clip in this pic...it is right next to the yellow sticker

windowpilarsb.thumb.jpg.fe94de4276755c5b97c3d4d9e5ec43ca.jpg

Next i would remove the overhead console light assembly.  It is 2 little covers you pop off and then remove 2 T15 screws that are in the round holes.

overheadconsole.thumb.jpg.3dfe8f6af3a51935519f2bd955863174.jpg

next it is sun visor time.  There is a cover covering the screws at the hinge part..You will need a T15 torq for visors and the center overhead housing...following pics so it disassembled.  Worst part of it is the harness that is plugged in.  GM glued the harness to the headliner...you will have to reach under it and rip the harness off the headliner so you can get it to the hole to unplug the visor.  it is a pain.  Take note of the white ring thing and how it is positioned...It is just clipped the visor so you will have to pop it offsunvisorsb.thumb.jpg.0fa0d9be1fd9a5ca769c33778345739f.jpg

above pic is just after visor removed with white thing in place.  Lower pic is the individual partssunvisorsa.thumb.jpg.a384429005044ecd10a3fed2e0c4afbb.jpg

The clip that the visor clips into just has an access door to be opened and then a single T15 screw to be removed.

sunvisorsd.thumb.jpg.e29d944136847407ac28ab49ca216cf8.jpg

here is just a general pic of the visor mounting plate

1662644610_sunvisorsc.thumb.jpg.98a6e67bcbaa6aab47571676fe9516cf.jpg

well at this point I just worked my hands in there and did all the work...i didnt want to a disassemble my sunroof so i just worked around it.  If you dont have a sunroof then you probably have lots of room at this point...let me know if you have any other questions and I can fill in the blanks...obviously you just reverse the above instructions to put it all back together.

windowpilarscovers.jpg

I'd really like to do this install but it sure looks like a lot of work. I'm scared to death about removing the headliner. I did this years ago on a 1999 F350 but that was when I wore a younger man's clothes.

On 7/7/2023 at 5:07 PM, Poopster said:

I'd really like to do this install but it sure looks like a lot of work. I'm scared to death about removing the headliner. I did this years ago on a 1999 F350 but that was when I wore a younger man's clothes.

As a note you don't have to remove the whole head liner, just the front and middle support so you can get your hands and wrench under it.   Having the upper control module out open a lot of space.

Good luck and have fun.

5 hours ago, KTDanforth said:

As a note you don't have to remove the whole head liner, just the front and middle support so you can get your hands and wrench under it.   Having the upper control module out open a lot of space.

Good luck and have fun.

I'm really thinking about doing this install. I've got a few other things on my to-do-list and then maybe by then I will have convinced myself that I can do it.

• 1 month later...
On 4/9/2021 at 10:09 PM, hotairgypsy said:

So this pic is the backside of the center light center attachment point so you can see what is looks like after it was screwed down

20210410_131206.thumb.jpg.88a4646d54a12b5367bcee66a513fe96.jpg

How i got access on the inside was my own way due to having a sunroof...I cannot speak for headliner removal without sunroof.  So if i was doing this over again I would first remove the side pillar cover that covers the front seat belts...It has 2 10mm screws and a 7mm screw to be removed.  There are a couple of clips holding the panel in place.  just pull towards the interior and they will come off easy.

sidepilars.thumb.jpg.3775f48dfcf745380d5c048ed5bdeeb6.jpg

i just placed the covers in behind the front seats just out of the way.  next you need to pull down the rubber door gasket on both sides and I just let them droop.

doorstripping.thumb.jpg.f2e5a5f4bdfa0f83f5070ed9883a6929.jpg

The your off to the window pillar covers on both sides...once you get to two covers off there will be 2 10mm screws on both sides...there is a really strong clip holding the panel on so you will have to pull on the upper part in towards the stereo...they are really grabbing on...i broke one side removing it.  you can see the clip in one of the following pics.

windowpilarsa.thumb.jpg.0db7cc4e16ea29bbc06559a6823891f0.jpg

you can see the clip in this pic...it is right next to the yellow sticker

windowpilarsb.thumb.jpg.fe94de4276755c5b97c3d4d9e5ec43ca.jpg

Next i would remove the overhead console light assembly.  It is 2 little covers you pop off and then remove 2 T15 screws that are in the round holes.

overheadconsole.thumb.jpg.3dfe8f6af3a51935519f2bd955863174.jpg

next it is sun visor time.  There is a cover covering the screws at the hinge part..You will need a T15 torq for visors and the center overhead housing...following pics so it disassembled.  Worst part of it is the harness that is plugged in.  GM glued the harness to the headliner...you will have to reach under it and rip the harness off the headliner so you can get it to the hole to unplug the visor.  it is a pain.  Take note of the white ring thing and how it is positioned...It is just clipped the visor so you will have to pop it offsunvisorsb.thumb.jpg.0fa0d9be1fd9a5ca769c33778345739f.jpg

above pic is just after visor removed with white thing in place.  Lower pic is the individual partssunvisorsa.thumb.jpg.a384429005044ecd10a3fed2e0c4afbb.jpg

The clip that the visor clips into just has an access door to be opened and then a single T15 screw to be removed.

sunvisorsd.thumb.jpg.e29d944136847407ac28ab49ca216cf8.jpg

here is just a general pic of the visor mounting plate

1662644610_sunvisorsc.thumb.jpg.98a6e67bcbaa6aab47571676fe9516cf.jpg

well at this point I just worked my hands in there and did all the work...i didnt want to a disassemble my sunroof so i just worked around it.  If you dont have a sunroof then you probably have lots of room at this point...let me know if you have any other questions and I can fill in the blanks...obviously you just reverse the above instructions to put it all back together.

windowpilarscovers.jpg

Do you know if this can be done on a 2022 Sierra 1500?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 4/9/2021 at 10:26 PM, Limelight said:

Man great job!  I’ve done a TON of writeups on another forum I was on and I know how much time it takes. 

This is excellent and a great contribution to this forum.  

THANK YOU!