07 Classic LBZ Performance Chip?

This question has probably been answered on here a hundred times over but I can't seem to find any search results that match exactly what I'm looking for.

My dad has 07 Classic with the LBZ Duramax. He absolutely loves the truck and plans on running it til the day he dies. With that being said, his biggest complaint is the fuel mileage he gets out of it. He averages 12-14MPG no matter how he drives it even when towing our boats/campers. He keeps sending me links to sketchy sites with tuners that are dirt cheap and claim to greatly improve fuel mileage. I'm smart enough to know not to go cheap when it comes to tuners/programmers. Can anyone provide any recommendations on somewhat affordable tuners that increase fuel mileage enough to warrant buying one in the first place? Or any other ideas to help squeeze some more MPGs out of it?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

It won't be cheap, just put it that way.

Diesel tuners have come under flack lately and only a select few are still emissions compliant so the price is a little higher. If you want to go with a tried and true tuner then look at something from Banks Power or Edge products.

Both are going to be in the $350 to $700 range depending on what you want to go with. Do you best research on the products to see what they offer for power gains and possible fuel mileage increases.

Driving 65 instead of 75 is obviously better for mileage and if there is anything aftermarket like rims/tires that is going to hurt mileage if they are larger than stock.

On 3/24/2021 at 8:45 PM, CamGTP said:

It won't be cheap, just put it that way.

Diesel tuners have come under flack lately and only a select few are still emissions compliant so the price is a little higher. If you want to go with a tried and true tuner then look at something from Banks Power or Edge products.

Both are going to be in the $350 to $700 range depending on what you want to go with. Do you best research on the products to see what they offer for power gains and possible fuel mileage increases.

Driving 65 instead of 75 is obviously better for mileage and if there is anything aftermarket like rims/tires that is going to hurt mileage if they are larger than stock.

I've pretty much steered my dad clear of purchasing one of the cheap $60 "tuners" at this point. The truck is 99% stock, only thing we have changed is he went to a 285 tire over a 245 which that was just very recent. He's been complaining about fuel mileage since he bought the truck in 2014 with the stock tire size. He's 65 so he doesn't drive too erratic or too much over the speed limit (70 here in IL). I think part of his problem is a friend of his used to have an 04 that got better fuel mileage so he just assumed with his being an 07 it should get the same if not better. Everything I've read says you're only going to "possibly" get more MPGs with a tuner and maybe a less restrictive exhaust. So I told him if he's worried about gaining 2-4mpgs then he needs to buy a decent tuner. But $350 in a tuner goes a long way in diesel with as little as he commutes.

• 4 weeks later...

I get 20-22 mpgs no tuner, egr and cooler delete, up pipe, down pipe, 5 inch exhaust, cold side pipe, hot side pipe (for intercooler obv.)pcv reroute with catch can, air box plug mod, new passenger side exhaust manifold with egr part deleted, gates belt and archoil every other tank. Also, I'm running 34.5s with a leveling kit.

Edited by NorseVikingÆsir