The Poor Man's Accessory Trailer Camera: Make Your Own

Happy to report I finally got this setup working.  What and absolute pain, not the hack for the camera setup, just the setup in general.  It seems like GM could have made this a bit easier and less error prone.  

So for me, here was the fix.  

Camera Not recognized:

- Delete trailer profile

- unplug 7 way and camera

- wait about 2-5min

- plug in the 7 way

- plug in camera

- close driver door and then start the truck

- enter setup and trailer specs

While this got the camera to show up, it was just black, no picture.  This turned out to be due to the model of the camera.  I did not realize that after buying the $650 camera setup that it would not work on a newer truck.  

I ended up ordering part number 85573256 for the camera.  This was perfect for my 2024 AT4.  

Transparent trailer issues

Even though the camera was detected and working now, the transparent trailer would not calibrate.  It immediately went to “check owners manual” and that was it.  After trying various angles, I finally set it and just kept driving.  Eventually it finally started to calibrate.  After a few min it completed.  Not fully sure how helpful the view is, but I am happy to have it working, finally.  

Thanks to everyone here and the original poster.  

• 1 month later...

I have the camera 85118298 from GM but after installation the OEM cable is too short to reach from the back end of my fifth wheel, no matter how I route it. Is it possible to get an extension cable that has the OEM plug as shown and an end that will mate to the same plug to reach to its mount in the box of my 2024HD Silverado? The short fall is about 15 ft. Incidentally I lucked out when I tested the camera and everything showed up fine except the calibration.

2024-09-2016_09_04-Book1-Excel.png.7bb4dfb4687d87caaef1ff6f99d255ee.png

@stevenblomquist, did you already purchase a new cable as mentioned in the original post from Segmart?  That seemed to work great for me and they can make it in custom lengths.  I did not try connecting them end to end, but it may work or they may have an adapter.  

https://www.segemart.com/1651055116553?search=FKR-TV-F%2FS-FAKRA%2FA-F%2FRA

i had also saw a post somewhere where the location of the camera connector can be moved from the hitch to inside the bed, not sure if that would help in your case or not.  

The calibration does take some time to complete and you have to do the instructions to a “T” for it to work.  After that mine was fine.  That said, I really did not even use the transparent mode that often, the backup view was enough.  

Dawson. No, I didn't do the DIY approach in this thread I bought the entire GM camera package and that cable is too short by 15ft. I don't know the type of cable ends that are need to make up the short fall to plug into the OEM plug and the receptacle in the bed of the truck. I am thinking DVB-T TV Female - DVB-T TV Male Coaxial Jumper Cable (segemart.com) may be the things to work for me except they are not very robust for exterior service. 

@stevenblomquist, yeah, I had the original kit too.  After never getting the camera to work, I ended up cutting the cable and buying the kit to repair the end of the OEM cable on eBay, along with a specific crimper.  I later found this forum post and realized that the camera I had did not work with the 2024 truck I have.  I ended up purchasing the DIY cable from segmart and it worked great.  I would say ditch the OEM cable and purchase a new one with the additional 15’.  Purchase some flex conduit and it is almost the same as the one one.  The only downside is the you would not have the housing that connect to the truck, but the cable will connect fine and I traveled almost 2000miles and it worked fine and never fell out.  I also traveled through a hurricane on the way back to FL and had no issues with it.  

@dawsonar802,

I am still pushing through using the OEM cable from the GM camera kit. Because you said the DIY cable used a DBV-T female connector at the receptacle and it worked "great" I thought the mating DVB-T TV male connector would be a match to the OEM camera cable end, alas it is not a match. The male DVB-T TV plug does not fit into the female cable end. They must have used a proprietary connector. Now since it seems impossible to contact the supplier of either the GM receptacle (7-pin in the box of the truck) or the camera kit I am thinking of alternatives. 

I can buy a 15 ft cable assembly from Segemart with the DVB-T TV female connector (for the receptacle in the truck box) with a FAKRA A female plug that will then plug into a second GM 7 Pin receptacle which then will mate perfectly with the GM camera kit proprietary plug (made in Mexico).

All this hinges on your testimony the DVB-T tv plug works perfectly. The DVB-T TV female connector on my custom Segemart cable does plug into the male plug on the receptacle. I just can't figure out why the other male end of my custom cable won't mate smoothly with the camera kit cable. It's like there is a taper or block that prevents the plug from going all the way in.

I thought I would run this by you for your opinion.

Edited by stevenblomquist
add the "to" person address