The Poor Man's Accessory Trailer Camera: Make Your Own

1 minute ago, Mark Ulm said:

Hello, I just came across this post and wanted to thank you for the very helpful and innovative ideas you have here. I was hoping you could share with me how to build the connector to trick my truck in to thinking there is a trailer... my boat is at a storage yard and I'm still trying to get my cameras to work that I tried to build from this post last summer. Thanks!

Also, I'd be interested in buying a couple of those plastic camera mounts you made... : )

I have had several people asking for the files for the mod.  Here is a zip file containing the files that I used.  I modified the tilt mount to accept the 3M tape.  There are also 2 camera plug files.  The file called Camera Plug1 is the original but for some reason (probably different 3D printer setup) the plug was too big to fit my truck. I drew up another one that is slightly smaller called Camera Plug2.  I also included some zip tie mounts that will accept the 3M tape.  I had some 1/4 inch split looming that I ran my cable thru for added protection.  Hope this helps.  Let me know if y'all have any more questions.

Camera Housing files.zip

• 4 weeks later...

Well, in a very frustrating turn of events, I haven't been able to get this setup working at all. I have the cable and the camera, and I went to test it before doing the install, and no matter what I did I couldnt get the camera to be recognized. Of course the trailer was plugged in, but I tried all sorts of things like shutting the truck off, waiting 10 minutes, plugging in the trailer, then the camera, then getting in teh truck and shutting the door, and turning the truck on, still nothing. I thought maybe I had a bad camera, so I ordered another one, same thing.

I've checked the connections under the truck, the cables are definately plugged into the connectors in the bumper, and i even unplugged and replugged them back in. 

The message I get on the screen just says "Connect the rear trailer camera to get a preview" if I try to select it while in the trailering app, and it's completely grayed out as being a selectable option in the camera views.

At this point I'm wondering if maybe the cable is bad? Although unlikely I guess it's not out of the question. If I order another cable though and it doesnt fix the issue, I'm just giving up and not using the system at all. I'm not putting any more money into it and im not buying the official system.

edit: 2023 GMC Sierra SLE

Edited by namtaru

39 minutes ago, namtaru said:

Well, in a very frustrating turn on events, I haven't been able to get this setup working at all. I have the cable and the camera, and I went to test it before doing the install, and no matter what I did I couldnt get the camera to be recognized. Of course the trailer was plugged in, but I tried all sorts of things like shutting the truck off, waiting 10 minutes, plugging in the trailer, then the camera, then getting in teh truck and shutting the door, and turning the truck on, still nothing. I thought maybe I had a bad camera, so I ordered another one, same thing.

The message I get on the screen just says "Connect the rear trailer camera to get a preview" if I try to select it while in the trailering app, and it's completely grayed out as being a selectable option in the camera views.

At this point I'm wondering if maybe the cable is bad? Although unlikely I guess it's not out of the question.

I bet 2023 has a different camera part number. You probably need to buy a 360 cam from a 2023. Just a guess. I know originally I had some issues when making mine but I turned car off then hooked up trailer then camera then all worked but sounds like you tried that.

On 5/25/2023 at 12:02 PM, namtaru said:

Well, in a very frustrating turn of events, I haven't been able to get this setup working at all. I have the cable and the camera, and I went to test it before doing the install, and no matter what I did I couldnt get the camera to be recognized. Of course the trailer was plugged in, but I tried all sorts of things like shutting the truck off, waiting 10 minutes, plugging in the trailer, then the camera, then getting in teh truck and shutting the door, and turning the truck on, still nothing. I thought maybe I had a bad camera, so I ordered another one, same thing.

I've checked the connections under the truck, the cables are definately plugged into the connectors in the bumper, and i even unplugged and replugged them back in. 

At this point I'm wondering if maybe the cable is bad? Although unlikely I guess it's not out of the question. If I order another cable though and it doesnt fix the issue, I'm just giving up and not using the system at all. I'm not putting any more money into it and im not buying the official system.

I FINALLY just got mine to work today after many many tries! I found these instructions on another forum and it works! I also discovered that the inside trailer connector is not wired in but there is a blank plug zip tied to the harness where the outside trailer camera is wired.

1. Turn Vehicle off
2 Close driver door
3. Wait 2 minutes
4. Then connect plugs (big one- 9 pin before camera)
5. Get in truck and make sure the door is shut PRIOR to the starting the truck 

Please Note: The very first time I did this I had to erase my RV profile and set up my RV profile up again- selecting that I had a 5th wheel) then I had to select the “camera app” for it to work.

If you ever start up the car with your door still open it will not work. Strange that it’s so temperamental-but important to know.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, just a question about the camera part numbers. The original poster used a GM 23390514 camera. It looks like the new part number is GM 84676845 so that is what I used, but it looks like everything is a 100 miles behind my trailer. It is crystal clear but to far away. 

Is there a difference in the two GM part numbers or is there a way to adjust the zoom level?

Thanks in advance Gary

• 3 weeks later...

This thread has seems to have knowledgeable people so I think I should ask my question here. Are there any aftermarket trailer or rear view camera systems that would be capable to accepting the GM plug for the camera to display the GM cameras view? Reason I ask is that when I install this GM trailering camera on own camper, it would be nice if my girlfriend could use her vehicle and the GM camera as a rear view camera to avoid having to install two different cameras on the rear of the camper. but I don't know if this Gm camera plug is universal or GM specific.

• 3 weeks later...

I installed this a few weeks ago on my 42ft fifth wheel. I've since done one 400-mile round trip with the camper.

I knew that the stock 60ft cable would be too short, so ordered a 70ft cable. Didn't realize it would be coming from China, but it arrived in 4-5 days. Shipping charge was about $40.

I bought the articulating mount but ended up not using it. I made a box from the PVC boxes noted in the original post and mounted it directly to the back of the camper at about eye-height using 3M double-sided tape. I then ran the cable straight down, securing it with hot-glue and ran it under the camper in some split conduit. There were convenient holes down the length of the chassis to thread it through, so didn't need to tie it to anything. At the front, I ran it round the edge molding (again using hot-glue) to the pin box, then taped to the electrical umbilical.

When all done, I have maybe 4-5ft spare coiled up in the pin box.

It does seem very temperamental about how it's connected. Each time I hitched up and then connected the cables, it would not be recognized. I would turn it off, reconnect and then it would sometimes work. I will try Mark Ulm's sequence next time.

When it does work, I can echo @glbrail's comment that it is very high quality but very wide-angle (objects in the display are much closer than they appear).

If you connect it to the internal trailer camera connector, it appears like a fish-eye display but that display is dismissed after several seconds. When using the external camera connection, it will keep that on the display while driving.

I think the biggest benefit when rolling down the highway is knowing when you have cleared a slower vehicle you have passed.

Overall, it cost me around $200.

Very worthwhile investment.

• 6 months later...

Don't shoot me for opening up this old thread.  But I would like to ask a different question.  I have a camera system on the RV.  It's the Lippert and it works great.  My thinking is that I'd like to add a camera to the side of the bed to help me hook up the gooseneck to the ball.  This is so I know how where to stop - when the ball and hitch are over each other.  Do you think it would be possible to add another camera view to the display or trick it to show this.   I have a 2024 3500HD High Country Dually.    

Thank You.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, chopjaw said:

Don't shoot me for opening up this old thread.  But I would like to ask a different question.  I have a camera system on the RV.  It's the Lippert and it works great.  My thinking is that I'd like to add a camera to the side of the bed to help me hook up the gooseneck to the ball.  This is so I know how where to stop - when the ball and hitch are over each other.  Do you think it would be possible to add another camera view to the display or trick it to show this.   I have a 2024 3500HD High Country Dually.    

Thank You.

Would it just be easier to buy the GM - Inside RV camera and put in the bed?  But looking at that camera, it's huge.  I'd rather have a small camera under the bed rail.  Just looking for some suggestions on this.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Diver6 said:

I'm after the same thing, just a small camera over my wheel well to see my Goose neck position. 

Me Too, Etrailer has several that the camera mounts on 3ed brake light but it has its own monitor or comes with a rear view mirror/monitor, running wires under headliner/trim.

Can Bluetooth send video??

Edited by wsrutherford
more info/?

On 3/10/2024 at 2:20 PM, wsrutherford said:

Me Too, Etrailer has several that the camera mounts on 3ed brake light but it has its own monitor or comes with a rear view mirror/monitor, running wires under headliner/trim.

Can Bluetooth send video??

I have a small camera that is mounted under the bed rail and is powered by the 5pin trailer connection.  The camera connects via Bluetooth to an app.  I use it to get the right depth on the Goosneck ball.  I use the truck bed camera to align up.  It works good but having an OEM camera by GM so all of the cameras are on the dash.

To the guys who started this and did all the leg work, thanks! You saved me an easy grand if I would have actually pulled the trigger. I just installed my two cameras today. Found that the nut opening in the 3d tilt bracket was just a little small for the #4 nuts from Home Depot so I made a minor edit to the STL, my updated version is attached. I'm also going to tweak the plug covers slightly just to differentiate between the interior and exterior camera. I snapped the backplate on the exterior camera during install so here's some pics of the interior while I wait for a new one to print.

BTW, the new camera model that replaces the one in the original post works just fine. Also this was all done in a 2023 (refreshed model).

IMG_0383.JPG

IMG_0384.JPG

LARGER CAMERA BACKPLATE.stl

Edited by stevewallace