Taller Headrests for Rear Seat

I've always thought the rear headrests were awful short and stubby in my 2016 Sierra Denali Crew Cab. For adult passengers and my kids once they are tall enough, I wanted a better option. After digging around in here I noticed that in pics of double/extended cabs the rear headrests were different and looked taller than my crew cab headrests. There are a few options on ebay and I found rear headrests from a double cab that match my black leather interior. Thought I'd show comparison pics of the crew cab headrests vs the double/extended cab headrests. You get about an inch more of coverage, so nothing spectacular but it is more. Headrests in good shape ranged from $50-$200 in my ebay search, so it all depends on how much you want to pay for the additional head coverage. Next on the to do list will be to add notches down the steel leg mounts to have them stay higher than the factory notches. I did notice the double/extended cab headrests stay locked in position much better than the crew cab ones. Why? I have no idea, but the crew cab ones would fall down even when going over a slight bump in the road.

In the last pic I just slid the crew cab headrest legs behind the middle seat to have something there. It stays in position pretty good, won't be able to extend up but it doesn't move at all while driving.

Rear Headrest Pic 1.jpg

Rear Headrest Pic 2.jpg

Rear Headrest Pic 3.jpg

Rear Headrest Pic 4.jpg

Rear Headrest Pic 5.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
On 7/29/2022 at 6:25 PM, Luke Kiker said:

We’re you able to get those notches add? If so, how?

Hi Luke, sorry for the delay. I don't have alerts set up. I have not done the notches yet. If you look at the existing notches you'll notice the bottom notch is shaped different in order to keep it from coming all the way out. You'd need to open that notch angle a little bit to match the notch above it. Then add as many notches as you want as long as they are close to the angle of the factory notches. On the most bottom notch you'd add, make sure it looks like the last notch from the factory (flat angle on the bottom side) so it doesn't slide all the way out. It's on my to do list, but life keeps interrupting lol. I'll circle back once I do it. A dremel and a die grinder bit should work just fine. Dremel also makes metal cutting discs, I'll probably start with those then smooth anything out with a die grinding bit. Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/22/2022 at 7:59 PM, jthoske said:

How did you add a headrest to the middle seat? I’d like to add one to my 2018 Chevy crew cab 

I just slid the rods between the seat and the back of the cabin. I ended up taking it out as it easily moved when people touched it. Didn't want to keep adjusting it. I also made no effort to secure it, so maybe you could find a way.

• 7 months later...

I have the same concerns w/ the rear headrests. Does anyone know if it is possible to swap an entire rear seat from a 2019-2023 Silverado/Sierra?  Are the bolt patterns the same?

I currently have a 2017 Silverado LTZ Z71.

Thank you

• 10 months later...