Powder coated my wheels, before & after pics.

Couldn’t find an aftermarket wheel that I wanted and GM black wheels are $500 each so a local guy powder coated them in what’s basically a matte black. Cost $110 a wheel so the total was $440. I’m really happy with the results. Total time to do the job is 3 days if you schedule an appointment. I just did a drop off and wait and it took 3 weeks but the guy was out a week with COVID. 

926E48FC-9F92-4574-A8C6-0EEC0AEF9507.jpeg

705348EA-038E-4975-BA77-0488E4921208.jpeg

5D22A068-78A6-4F1C-9290-B28E6EE33D5E.jpeg

• Like 5

Just now, lapoolboy said:

There are two local shops here that charge $40-50 a wheel for plain black.  

Gas in the next state west  is about 30% cheaper than my state but I live to far way to make that worth my while.

Am I getting ripped off? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lapoolboy said:

I believe most of the cost to powder coat wheels is labor and the facility.  It may be worth paying extra.  Grumpy previously mentioned that other factors like location could impact pricing.  I think suggesting that members paying more than you are being "ripped off" does not reflect reasoning for the differences in price.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, lapoolboy said:

That price almost sounds like a rattle can "powder coat" paint job. A true powder coat paint job is rather labor intensive, you've got the media blasting, the setup and equipment required for an electrostatic discharge of the paint onto the grounded part being painted, etc. I've nothing against rattle can powder coat paint, I've used Sherwin Williams rattle can "powder coat" paint in the past with excellent results.

Just now, garagerog said:

That price almost sounds like a rattle can "powder coat" paint job. A true powder coat paint job is rather labor intensive, you've got the media blasting, the setup and equipment required for an electrostatic discharge of the paint onto the grounded part being painted, etc. I've nothing against rattle can powder coat paint, I've used Sherwin Williams rattle can "powder coat" paint in the past with excellent results.

Nope.  I've been dealing with them for years.  He blasts the wheels and sends them through the oven with all the other thousands of parts he does.  Of course, black is most common, so he just sends them through when he's already doing a batch.  Really just paying a few bucks in labor for the blasting and a few bucks in powder.