OnStar + Data Plan

Canceled my On Star and Data Plan yesterday.  At nearly $50/month It's not worth it.  Wasn't using it at all.  Occasionally would check My GMC app on the iPhone but only to while away some time.  I was a bit surprised that the On Star rep didn't offer some "special" pricing to keep a customer.  It woulda needed to be about half price for me to even consider it.  

With today's technology I just don't feel a need to pay almost $600 per year for OnStar and a data plan, or $14.99/mo to keep the My GMC app on the iPhone.  

Curious to know how others feel about this.  The price/value relationship just doesn't add up for me.    

Edited by LowCountryDenali
  • Like 1

I got my data plan straight through AT&T...$20/month. This way when we have grandkids in the vehicle they can stream movies on trips.

Don’t have an onstar plan, don’t use the app. The app was a novelty in my opinion while for some it may have some actual use. It wasn’t worth the money to me.

Like everyone else these days going to a subscription model and nickel and diming you...by the time you add up all your monthly subscription fees and the annual cost, is it worth it? Somethings yes, many things no.

I keep Onstar for the app thru winter months. That way I have nice warm truck when I get off work when it's nasty and snowing.

As far as data I bought a Jetpack from Verizon for the truck and added it to my unlimited plan. I just bought a dashcam that connects to wifi to upload video and watch real time thru an app.

I keep Onstar for the app thru winter months. That way I have nice warm truck when I get off work when it's nasty and snowing.
As far as data I bought a Jetpack from Verizon for the truck and added it to my unlimited plan. I just bought a dashcam that connects to wifi to upload video and watch real time thru an app.

Which dash cam did you buy? I was looking to do the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nearly every wireless carrier offers unlimited data on your cell phone, and they can all be used as a hotspot. I just turn the hotspot on for the kids, and I added it to the networks in my truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Canceled my On Star and Data Plan yesterday.  At nearly $50/month It's not worth it.  Wasn't using it at all.  Occasionally would check My GMC app on the iPhone but only to while away some time.  I was a bit surprised that the On Star rep didn't offer some "special" pricing to keep a customer.  It woulda needed to be about half price for me to even consider it.  
With today's technology I just done feel a need to pay almost $600 per year for OnStar and a data plan, or $14.99/mo to keep the My GMC app on the iPhone.  
Curious to know how others feel about this.  

I just let the trial period end then it cancelled I purchased my truck in June .. After a couple months I received an offer for the unlimited data and the phone app thing for 25 a month so I got it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I consider both a total waste of money.  My phone has plenty of data available, so there is no advantage to having extra data onboard the truck.  I also have AAA, since several of my vehicles are beyond the manufacturer's roadside service.  AAA also covers my travel trailers and either my wife or myself can use it.  OnStar only covers one vehicle, and I have two OnStar equipped vehicles, in addition to two other vehicles.  Since I snowbird, I would be constantly shifting coverage between the two OnStar vehicles and putting one on vacation hold while reactivating the other one.  AAA covers everything all the time.  Both my Silverados have remote start, which I do use on a regular basis in the winter.  So far, the fob has worked out fine for me.

• Like 1

I am paying for safety and security. May cancel after my prepaid year is up. It is not set to auto renewal. When I paid for the safety and security was charged $200 for the entire year.

Do not see much point in the data plan, as I can use my iPhone as a hotspot.

I am sold on Sirius though, do use it a lot.

Edited by gregus73

On 1/16/2021 at 7:49 PM, LowCountryDenali said:

With today's technology I just done feel a need to pay almost $600 per year for OnStar and a data plan, or $14.99/mo to keep the My GMC app on the iPhone.  

Curious to know how others feel about this.  

I feel the same as you. I have 3 OnStar capable vehicles but none of the services. It doesn't pass the cost-benefit analysis for me.

• Like 1

Costco currently has a discount on On Star services.  I have executive membership so I saved 35% off the listed price for Remote Access service.  The normal price is $15, but I am paying $9.74 per month.

OnStar Safety & Security
Regular Price - $24.99/month
25% savings for Gold Star members - $18.74/month
35% savings for Executive members - $16.24/month

Remote Access
Regular Price - $14.99/month
25% savings for Gold Star members - $11.24/month
35% savings for Executive members - $9.74/month

OnStar Guardian™ App
Regular Price - $15.00/month
25% savings for Gold Star members - $11.25/month
35% savings for Executive members -$9.75/month

6 hours ago, EX-F150 said:

Costco currently has a discount on On Star services.  I have executive membership so I saved 35% off the listed price for Remote Access service.  The normal price is $15, but I am paying $9.74 per month.

OnStar Safety & Security
Regular Price - $24.99/month
25% savings for Gold Star members - $18.74/month
35% savings for Executive members - $16.24/month

Remote Access
Regular Price - $14.99/month
25% savings for Gold Star members - $11.24/month
35% savings for Executive members - $9.74/month

OnStar Guardian™ App
Regular Price - $15.00/month
25% savings for Gold Star members - $11.25/month
35% savings for Executive members -$9.75/month

Where did you go to get these prices? Costco or On-Star. I'm an executive member at Costco.

• Like 1