Best Engine for Towing: 5.3 vs 6.1?

R J

12 hours ago, steelcity said:

Im not sure theyre correct on that one.

You can still "build" a 2021 Sierra Sle and Elevation with the 5.3 10 speed on gmc.com. Double Cabs too..

19 hours ago, R J said:

I appreciate the replies so far. I have no issues with sway, floating feeling or handling when towing the travel trailer. It goes really well from a handling standpoint but just adequate on power. I will be towing this trailer about 6 times a year.

Based on this, you may be better off just sticking with what you have for only towing 6x a year and having no trailering issues.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UGADawgs said:

Based on this, you may be better off just sticking with what you have for only towing 6x a year and having no trailering issues.

I agree with you. Plus since it’s the older AFM version, the OP can tune the engine and transmission for relatively cheap. You can also convert it to E85 and have almost 400 HP.  That would be the way to go in my opinion. And save thousands in the process!!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CamaroVetteGuy said:

Sure, but why go to a 6.2. If you want power and you want to be comfortable towing get a diesel and HD. That is my recommendation.

You don't need a diesel or HD when a 6.2L 1500 will pull a 5500 lb travel trailer with ease.  You could even get by with a 5.3L, but it is a little sluggish in the mountains.  Like I said, 5500 lbs is still half ton territory.  Towing my 5500 lb travel trailer is very comfortable in my 6.2L 1500.  When you start towing in the 7000-8000 lb range, that's when I'd move up to a 3/4 ton or one ton.

My 2020 with 6.2 easily tows a 28' Airstream with dry weight 5980/GVWR 7600 and Hitch weight @ 903.  I'd recommend the 3.0 Duramax or the 6.2 assuming you've got your heart set on a new truck and are okay with 10--12 mpg while towing with the 6.2.  

IMG_1112.jpg

Edited by LowCountryDenali
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, LowCountryDenali said:

My 2020 with 6.2 easily tows a 28' Airstream with dry weight 5980/GVWR 7600 and Hitch weight @ 903.  I'd recommend the 3.0 Duramax or the 6.2 assuming you've got your heart set on a new truck and are okay with 10--12 mpg while towing with the 6.2.  

IMG_1112.jpg

Beautiful truck. I almost traded last week for same exact one. Those wheels really make the Denali truck stand out. They are my favorite wheel. If I didn’t live in Iowa and have all the salt those would have been my choice. 
they just couldn’t get the trade amount I wanted and I didn’t want to give up my 0% interest right now. 

On 1/1/2021 at 12:10 PM, calgator73 said:

That's a good point.  A custom trail boss with the 5.3 and 6-speed is an L82.  From everything I am reading the l82 with 6-speed is the only v8 configuration with native e85 capability.  But I also see they make that engine e85 compatible and not.  I don't remember the RPO code for that capability but it would be easy to tell by looking at the fuel line underneath the driver side.  There should be an alcohol sensor there.

For both 2020 and 2021, only the WT has E85 as an option -- (order code is FHS, it is not standard)

even though L82 is used on WT, Custom and Custom TB, it's only shown as available on the WT.

On Sierra, the L82 is only used on the base Sierra.

FHS is an also an option on it. 

They call it E85 capable.

Don't know it that means that FHS still uses the alcohol sensor and higher HP tuning, or if it just means it will run ok on E85. 

13 hours ago, TNTSilverado said:

Beautiful truck. I almost traded last week for same exact one. Those wheels really make the Denali truck stand out. They are my favorite wheel. If I didn’t live in Iowa and have all the salt those would have been my choice. 
they just couldn’t get the trade amount I wanted and I didn’t want to give up my 0% interest right now. 

Thanks and yes I too hate the stock 22's and it took a while to find a truck with these wheels.  Actually preferred the Duramax but couldn't locate one to my specs.  Also wanted Dark Sky but settled for Carbon.  Happy with the truck after 5 months and 6k miles.  

• Like 1

I have a 2020 AT4 Carbon Pro - 6.2l 10speed - I tow a 24' enclosed car trailer - 7k-9k lbs is typical.  Truck, motor and tranny combination are great.  I needed to add load distribution hitch, sway control and would recommend upgrading from duratrac load range C to a BFG K02 in load range D or E if towing a lot.   When you get in the wind, there will be some sway, more in the Trail Boss/AT4 due to the added height and softer rear springs.  

I tow in S.Cal - so we go up and down a lot here - so towing milelage is 8.4 mpg combined +/- going hard.  On flat ground maybe 9-10 mpg.  With the small fuel tank, not much towing range. 

For towing 6 times per year, if its working I would probably just keep what you have - but you never know what kind of deal you would get, but with patience and diligence you can find them.  I had a 2019 AT4 Carbon Pro with 10k on it, wanted to get tow mirrors and rear cameras for better towing visibility- was trying to figure out how to swap mirrors - ending up finding a deal where I traded for a 2020, got tow mirrors and it only cost me $600 - went from 10k miles to new.  Took a number of months to get that deal and lots of dicussion via email - but found the deal and glad I got tow mirrors. 

When you get to the point of towing across the country you can't beat the modern diesel 2500 or 3500 with 10 speed (or Ford 250/350) they make short work of towing and get better mileage.  Plus the added weight of the HD diesel trucks increases your safety when towing.  At some point when thing go wrong, you don't want the  tail wagging the dog, so bigger is better for your tow vehicle! 

952556953_2020AT4w-trailers.thumb.jpg.4c5c1f68f8ee1c4fc946873031964191.jpg

• Like 1