Best Engine for Towing: 5.3 vs 6.1?

R J

If you want to keep fuel costs low, 5.3 with 10 speed.  If you didn't have to have a Trail Boss, 5.3 10 speed or 3.0 diesel to keep fuel costs lower.  Yes, diesel and premium are close on pricing yet your MPG empty and towing will be superior, therefore you will get more miles/tank.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jnissen said:

Curious why your not including the 3.0L turbo diesel in your question. Look into it as well as it has gobs of torque and can come with two different rear gear ratios along with the 10 speed. Towing and non towing mileage is hard to beat.

I would second this and recommend at least taking a quick look into it in person. You can EASILY make your own trail boss aftermarket a number of ways if you want that look. Could possibly be cheaper too as trail bosses seem to have higher demand/less discounts. 

While people say the 3.0 was made more for good fuel mileage rather than towing... I would argue it still outperforms the other engines towing, pound for pound until you start reaching the upper rating limits. Which doesn’t sound like you will at all. 

3.0 peak torque of 460 at 1500 rpm

6.2 peak torque of 460 at 4100 rpm

5.3 peak torque of 383 at 4100 rpm

Edited by Duramax3oh
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TeamSaris said:

I could be wrong but if you build a '21 on chevy.com, the only way to get the 10 speed is the 6.2   5.3/10spd seems to be GMC only for 21

D63ADABA-187A-4D3A-9A74-00F3A7414C87.thumb.jpeg.b0d498b76a10668b87a0f088bda92620.jpeg

Still shows 10 speed as standard on LT TB, same as 2020.

There is still apparently a constraint on that transmission though. Many of the 2021 GMC 5.3 trucks that should have the 10 speed standard (like the SLT trim) have a $200 credit and the 8 speed instead. They could be doing that for the Trail Boss too, dunno.

5941AFE3-83FF-482E-B5D0-822192DAF246.thumb.jpeg.293cb67c94837f516b6ce37b823c9ed6.jpeg

I noticed the 200 dollar thing too. It was actually tough finding a 5.3 10 Speed on a lot.

Here is what Chevy.com tells me though. Maybe because I have double cab checked not crew? Trail Boss actually only showing a 6 speed 5.3. 6.2 is 10 Speed on all. 

IMG_1688.jpeg

The Custom TB gets the 6 speed and AFM 5.3. LT TB gets the DFM 5.3 and what should be the 10 speed. LTZ 5.3 still makes do with the 8 speed. High Country and LT TB are the only 5.3 Chevys with the 10 speed.

I’m about 99% sure only crew cabs in the Silverado for 21 can have the 5.3L and 10 spd combo.
I’m  pretty sure the double cab is almost done for except Elevation option on Sierra with 5.3L and 10 spd option.....maybe Trailboss custom??  
I’ve only seen double cabs for the custom Trailboss around here??  Did they drop the crew cab for them??

Edited by TNTSilverado

18 minutes ago, TNTSilverado said:

I’m about 99% sure only crew cabs in the Silverado for 21 can have the 5.3L and 10 spd combo.
I’m  pretty sure the double cab is almost done for except Elevation option on Sierra with 5.3L and 10 spd option.....maybe Trailboss custom??  
I’ve only seen double cabs for the custom Trailboss around here??  Did they drop the crew cab for them??

You can get a crew cab Custom TB, but you can’t get an LT TB in a double cab. They actually never made it for some reason. Same goes for High Country. So no double cab 5.3 10 speed possible. 

They also killed off the double cab LTZ, SLT, and AT4 this past year. It’s pretty much over for that configuration.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, R J said:

Thanks for the replies. I actually didn’t think about the Duramax option. I’ve never owned a diesel truck before. How reliable are the 3.0’s? Definitely good idea.

Way too soon to tell long term. They’ve had some glitches but nothing major from what I’ve seen. And you do get a longer warranty with the diesel at least.

25 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

The Custom TB gets the 6 speed and AFM 5.3. LT TB gets the DFM 5.3 and what should be the 10 speed. LTZ 5.3 still makes do with the 8 speed. High Country and LT TB are the only 5.3 Chevys with the 10 speed.

They sure don't make it easy. Thanks for the clarification. 

It's a shame about the double cab. Its the perfect size truck for some of us. Ill be keeping my double cab for a long time apparently! 

9 hours ago, AdamAT4 said:

Id like to know what it would cost for 3.73s in these trucks... never did gearing on an IFS truck before.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

Dunno... But this kit should work

"2014-UP GM 1/2 Ton with 5.3L Front & Rear Gear Package – www.RigidAxle.com" https://www.rigidaxle.com/products/2014-up-gm-1-2-ton-with-5-3l-front-rear-gear-package?variant=13651251789859&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping&gclid=CjwKCAiArbv_BRA8EiwAYGs23LvBk_gYtud9iAoE3k5iFdCcZR7nURARaEvTOfXgVA4_43Ch9Y2XYBoCqTIQAvD_BwE

I frequent RV and Travel Trailer forums and have read positive attributes to using gas or diesel engines. These were points that were brought up by both Casual Campers and Full Time RVer's.

Benefits of diesel : 

Diesel will get better mpg towing and empty. 

Diesel has more torque at lower RPMs.

Benefits of gas:

Gas costs less per gallon.

Although a minimal cast, you don't need to run DEF fluid.

If an engine has trouble while you're traveling the back country, you're more likely to find someone who can work on a gas engine versus a diesel engine. Diesel mechanics are more expensive than gas mechanics in my area.

Then you have maintenance to consider. Maintaining a gas engine is usually cheaper (fewer filters etc..) The 3.0 Diesel has a belt that needs to be changed at around 150,000 miles (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). 

Some RV forum members also mentioned the payload of their truck was less with the diesel engine because it was heavier. If true, this would hinder your GCWR or Gross Combined Weight Rating(the total weight of your  truck and trailer loaded with gear and passengers). 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, CamaroVetteGuy said:

Here is my advice. Go big! My father in law was in your same situation. He bought a 1500 w/5.3. Then bought a 2500 with a 6.2. He ultimately ended up with a 3500 Duelly, diesel to tow his motor home to Arizona twice a year. I think you should at least look at a 2500.

5500 lbs is still half ton territory.  No need to go 3/4 ton at that weight.

• Like 1