1 hour ago, newdude said:

I'm sure the Amsoil guys can back this up...

" dexos® " is a license and the family of GM Oil Specifications.  The goal for all oil manufacturers is to meet and or exceed the Dexos spec.  I've never used Amsoil, but I've come to understand that they are more of the "exceed" rather than the "meet" of the Dexos specification.  And some independent testing seems to come back highly in favor of their products when it comes to the VOA and the examination of their additive packages over the big players. 

Most of the big brand names will 99% "meet" the Dexos spec to be a licensed oil, but there is no guarantee they exceed it. 

dexos® no matter which one it is, dexos2™, dexos1™ Gen 2,   dexosD™   they are all a specification that GM requires to be used for their vehicles.  So it is a specification as well as a license.  The license part comes into play when the company that wants to be put on GM's dexos list pays the astronomical cost to do so.