Check Engine Air Filter System Message

Hi there, I just put an AFE Power Momentum HD cold air intake on my 2020 Sierra 2500 AT4 and since I did that I have a pop-up that says "Check Engine Air Filter System" every time that I start the truck. When I scroll on the info page to "Air Filter Life" option it says "Check System". Does anyone know how to disable the filter life so that I do not receive these? 

Thanks 

On 12/9/2020 at 7:58 PM, Rob57 said:

Hi there, I just put an AFE Power Momentum HD cold air intake on my 2020 Sierra 2500 AT4 and since I did that I have a pop-up that says "Check Engine Air Filter System" every time that I start the truck. When I scroll on the info page to "Air Filter Life" option it says "Check System". Does anyone know how to disable the filter life so that I do not receive these? 

Thanks 

I believe the warning message at the beginning of this video will answer your question:

• 5 months later...

I have the same issue on my 2021 Silverado 1500 LTZ 5.3L. The video shown as the response only works if you do that BEFORE you get to the point of seeing the Check System message. I’ve been to 1 Chevy service center and they won’t touch it or clear my code. They don’t seem to understand. I’ve explained it to another Chevy service center and they said it may be a few hours of labor and their Tech support. K&N support doesn’t understand why these service centers don’t just clear the code and disable it. 

I’ve disconnected the negative battery cable for various amounts of time from 10 min to an hour and left the headlights on to drain the rest of the ECM. I connect it again and the same message pops up. 

Help!

• 1 month later...
On 6/3/2021 at 7:42 PM, W3SChevy said:

I have the same issue on my 2021 Silverado 1500 LTZ 5.3L. The video shown as the response only works if you do that BEFORE you get to the point of seeing the Check System message. I’ve been to 1 Chevy service center and they won’t touch it or clear my code. They don’t seem to understand. I’ve explained it to another Chevy service center and they said it may be a few hours of labor and their Tech support. K&N support doesn’t understand why these service centers don’t just clear the code and disable it. 

I’ve disconnected the negative battery cable for various amounts of time from 10 min to an hour and left the headlights on to drain the rest of the ECM. I connect it again and the same message pops up. 

Help!

Have you found a way to clear that message yet?  I have an S&B with the same message on a 21 RST 4wd, 5.3

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Same on my 2022 Elevation.

Anyone have any ideas?

My manual (p334) states that if you get "Check Engine Air Filter System" that you should contact your dealer.

I have and their response was to disable the air filter system through my DIC.

There are no DIC settings to enable or disable the engine air filter system.

On 6/3/2021 at 8:42 PM, W3SChevy said:

Help!

Manufactures just arent going to work with your aftermarket upgrades anymore,  and in a way I dont blame them in a way.  Have to google it but the manufactures continue to chip away with lawsuits on trying to make their ECUs proprietary, thus if you touch it would be a crime.  They are getting close to making this happen.  

• Like 1

Way back in the early 80s I worked briefly for Napa as a counter person. The big scandal at that time was that GM was putting Chevy engines in Oldsmobiles. Napa had pamphlets explaining that the auto manufacturers we’re going to make it impossible for the end user to work on their vehicle. Mission almost accomplished. The trade off is trucks capable of 13 second quarter mile times and high levels of refinement. I’ve done my share of modifying and tailoring. When the base engines are 300 HP or better that was just a dream a few years ago. What’s really left to do? The real problem is personal responsibility. People would monkey around get over their head and expect them to be covered under warranty. We got away with it for awhile, not anymore. The real concern should be the push for electric. Too soon.

On 7/7/2022 at 4:40 PM, fshn4x4 said:

Same on my 2022 Elevation.

Anyone have any ideas?

My manual (p334) states that if you get "Check Engine Air Filter System" that you should contact your dealer.

I have and their response was to disable the air filter system through my DIC.

There are no DIC settings to enable or disable the engine air filter system.

I know it's alot of work, but reinstall the oem box. Run it a bit and see if it clears. If not, then take it to dealer to have them clear the code.

Then disable the system first, and reinstall your aftermarket box. And use a old school restriction gauge.

20210326_151503.thumb.jpg.1368f700cdc794349e48633c5c3eef4d.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Sounds like it to me. MAF reading a higher value than stock range. Assumption is filter removed, or wet type high flow filter installed (GM hates those).

The aftermarket and modding days are coming to a sad end.