7 hours ago, econometrics said:

Leaving Minnesota for Texas, which I happily did 15 years ago. ? 

I moved to Texas in may 2013 was so glad to go  back to ND in December 2013. Way too hot for me.

As rust prevention, wash it once a week in the winter time. Have a gas station with unlimited washes for 29.99. with under body wash and bug removal in the summer.  There are better deals but I like this one because they hand dry it when done.

Yea I heard woolwax/fluid film melts or makes the factory  stuff fall off and goopy. That's what i used on my 2018 but I thought I heard its not compatible with the new ones  or maybe wasn't on my 2018. I don't know but wanna see what others heard or are using.

Fennel coating seems to be the only thing the works around here (PA). I use the quart cans and an undercoating gun. http://ducarle.com/ I use fluid film for the inside of the frame rails and body panels with the wand kits. The fluid film will usually just get washed off the outside of frame where as the fennel coating sticks like glue. I touch up yearly although with the fennel there's not much to touch up usually.

10 hours ago, Moend said:

I moved to Texas in may 2013 was so glad to go  back to ND in December 2013. Way too hot for me.

As rust prevention, wash it once a week in the winter time. Have a gas station with unlimited washes for 29.99. with under body wash and bug removal in the summer.  There are better deals but I like this one because they hand dry it when done.

Got to agree, Texas is one of the last states on my list of places to move to.......just behind Florida and California. ?

Also agree with regular car washes......get the salt and brine regularly off your vehicle, best preventative in the world. 

I grew up in the cold belt. Living in Texas I’ll gladly put up with the heat for 7 months of fantastic weather of the remaining 3 seasons. The added benefit of no rust out issues on my vehicles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 2

Just regularly repair the Daubert Nox Rust coating that is already on the frame.

I think that's still what they use...

I wouldn't use fluid film on the entire truck. I used it on my plow, it works great for off-season storage, but that's a whole different ballgame.

The Nox-Rust is good for touchups, I like it because it also makes everything black again.  But I still worry about inside the boxed frame.  Salt water or brine gets in through all the holes on the frame.  I don't think a quick 1 or 2 undercarriage spray is enough to get it out.  That salt and brine gets in the frame and sits there.  Only so much drains back out.  Think about the salt and brine on the paint.  A quick pressure spray of water won't get it off.  You need to use some soap or agitate the area to remove it.  Now think about that same salt and brine under your truck.  Those undercarriage spray is just water.  No soap or agitation.  

I use an oil-based corrosion inhibitor myself and flood inside the frame.  Any and every hole I can find.  The frame, like the rockers, will probably rust and rot from the inside out.  I also use the same oil-based corrosion inhibitor take out all the plugs along the rocker and go to town.  I also don't think an undercarriage spray wash will help prevent corrosion on the spare tire pulley.  I lower the spare and spray the cross members there and spray into the pulley housing where the metal cable winds.

I would go easy spraying anything other than the Nox-Rust on the outside of the frame because it will soften the OE wax and the wax will slide off.  But at the same time, the wax will dry up in the next few years and start to flake off.  I've read the Nox-Rust X-121B is meant to provide 1-5 years of corrosion protection.  Of course, this would vary with weather, etc.   My theory is, the oil-based coating I put on the frame keeps the wax from drying out too quickly.  I usually put a light coat on the outside of the frame.

My personal belief.  Not saying anyone is right or wrong.  Do as you wish.  It's your truck.

We can all agree, rust sucks!

Edited by SilveradoRST
  • Like 1

Good thought on doing something more on the inside of the frame. I don’t drive the wheels off of my trucks but if I did, that seems like a no brainer.

Also don’t neglect the rockers and fender lips. You can pull all the rubber plugs and either fog with Fluid Film or cavity wax. Get the long hose with the 360 deg nozzle and go to town. Here in WI, the body disappears before the frame ever would. At least we don’t hafta worry about the doors anymore.

• 5 months later...
On 11/22/2020 at 5:36 PM, SilveradoRST said:

The Nox-Rust is good for touchups, I like it because it also makes everything black again.  But I still worry about inside the boxed frame.  Salt water or brine gets in through all the holes on the frame.  I don't think a quick 1 or 2 undercarriage spray is enough to get it out.  That salt and brine gets in the frame and sits there.  Only so much drains back out.  Think about the salt and brine on the paint.  A quick pressure spray of water won't get it off.  You need to use some soap or agitate the area to remove it.  Now think about that same salt and brine under your truck.  Those undercarriage spray is just water.  No soap or agitation.  

I use an oil-based corrosion inhibitor myself and flood inside the frame.  Any and every hole I can find.  The frame, like the rockers, will probably rust and rot from the inside out.  I also use the same oil-based corrosion inhibitor take out all the plugs along the rocker and go to town.  I also don't think an undercarriage spray wash will help prevent corrosion on the spare tire pulley.  I lower the spare and spray the cross members there and spray into the pulley housing where the metal cable winds.

I would go easy spraying anything other than the Nox-Rust on the outside of the frame because it will soften the OE wax and the wax will slide off.  But at the same time, the wax will dry up in the next few years and start to flake off.  I've read the Nox-Rust X-121B is meant to provide 1-5 years of corrosion protection.  Of course, this would vary with weather, etc.   My theory is, the oil-based coating I put on the frame keeps the wax from drying out too quickly.  I usually put a light coat on the outside of the frame.

My personal belief.  Not saying anyone is right or wrong.  Do as you wish.  It's your truck.

We can all agree, rust sucks!

And this oil-based corrosion inhibitor would be????

27 minutes ago, Shane Mulligan said:

And this oil-based corrosion inhibitor would be????

CorrosionFree.com 

The Canadian Department of Defence did a research paper on corrosion inhibitors and Corrosion Free’s product came out on top.  

https://corrosionfree.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Dept-of-Defence-Report-Highlighted-Text-copy.pdf

The stuff is thick, gooey, and clear. It doesn’t drip and stays on for 18 months.  The tub stuff is thicker than the aerosol cans.  They deliver to the US.  A bit pricey.  

I don’t work or have any association with CorrosionFree.  I just like their product. 

If you’re not interested in that, Fluid Film works well from what I’ve seen and read.

Something is better than nothing.  

Not sure what is available in your area but for my summer car I take it to Krown every 3ish years and no issues. It will depend on how much driving you do and how the weather is where you live but I would suggest having it reapplied every 1-2 years.