5.3 l83 6.2 L86 Cam Swap

Has anyone ever replaced the stock l83 cam with a stock l86 cam?  If so were there any gains from it.  I am looking to get some extra torque out of my truck i know i can do the afm delete and put a stage 1 in there which i am also considering but i am trying to weigh out my options as far as cost in parts and time it will take to do the job.  Any helpful feedback will be much appreciated.

Start with this YT channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/pmoore4321/videos

He did quite a bit to his L83 before going boosted. L86 Cam, intake, LT headers, etc.. 

If you want extra torque is doesn't get any more simple than converting to E85! I have the L86 with a bunch of torque already but I notice a huge difference when I run E85. 

if you like getting 30mpg, I would keep the AFM and rock the 6.2 cam, with full 6.2 induction, can,t cost more than $100 from GM, or get a used ebay cam for $20.. should make another 15-20 hp

its more work than its worth IMO,, ide keep stock cam, delete AFM and run a low boost turbo kit.

Edited by flyingfool

11 hours ago, flyingfool said:

if you like getting 30mpg, I would keep the AFM and rock the 6.2 cam, with full 6.2 induction, can,t cost more than $100 from GM, or get a used ebay cam for $20.. should make another 15-20 hp

its more work than its worth IMO,, ide keep stock cam, delete AFM and run a low boost turbo kit.

Mmm love me a quick spoolin' lil' turbo! Yep, you convinced me lol

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Brooks Blake said:

Thanks for the info I am currently running e85 and it’s tuned. I have headers and a cai just ordered l86 intake and tb have also considered doing a boost setup. Taking it one upgrade at a time. 

That's the way to do it. My dad told me from my first vehicle that the goal is to get your ride "sweet street". Rides good, looks good, hauls ass, but still is reasonably quiet and get's decent fuel mileage. Baby cammed my first truck along with full bolt ons = perfect. My Mustang = WAY overboard. Spent too much and it still wasn't as fast as Cobra and wasn't very daily driveable. I've spent a lot and learned a lot lol 

Edited by lucas287

2 hours ago, lucas287 said:

That's the way to do it. My dad told me from my first vehicle that the goal is to get your ride "sweet street". Rides good, looks good, hauls ass, but still is reasonably quiet and get's decent fuel mileage. Baby cammed my first truck along with full bolt ons = perfect. My Mustang = WAY overboard. Spent too much and it still wasn't as fast as Cobra and wasn't very daily driveable. I've spent a lot and learned a lot lol 

Yeah I don’t want to go too far at all because it has to be reliable as well. But it’s been fun at least learning and researching so far.