Headlights always on? -- 2002 Sierra 2500 HD

I inherited my 2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax from my father when he passed away this year. It's such a great truck, and I love it. One thing I'm trying to figure out though... the headlights and daytime running lights are always on whenever the truck is running. The switch on the console is in the off position, and all the lights are still on. Doesn't matter what time of day. What's interesting is if I leave the headlight switch in the on position, and then turn off the truck, then the light controls work, and I get warning dings about the lights being left on. But whenever the truck is running, those lights just come on whether I want them to or not.

How can I get the lights to stop running constantly, and instead use the switch? What do you folks think is happening here? Thanks! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I figured this out by accident earlier today. Apparently, if you press the Dome Override button four times in a row, a chime indicates, and the lights will toggle between always on and switch controlled. I've spent WEEKS trying to figure this out and search for the answer.

• 3 years later...
On 10/13/2020 at 1:16 AM, omgitsgela said:

Okay, I figured this out by accident earlier today. Apparently, if you press the Dome Override button four times in a row, a chime indicates, and the lights will toggle between always on and switch controlled. I've spent WEEKS trying to figure this out and search for the answer.

This was my issue also, glad forums still exist I'd never figure this out elsewhere.

• 4 months later...

Dude, thank you for this information.  My 2000 Sierra has been going on 5 years now with the headlights always on anytime you start it, and I tried this fix and PRESTO! it worked perfectly.  Not sure how it ever got set that way but glad for this forum to fix it. Thanks again.