Tire Pressure when towing. I need a little help.

Rodek

I've searched and cannot find the info I'm looking for so, here goes my question.

My truck door pillar indicates the tires should be inflated to 35 PSI.  The tire indicates max cold 44 PSI. I will be towing a 6000 LB travel trailer with a tongue weight of 650 Lbs. Tires are Bridgestone Dueller AT 275-60-20 Speed rating S. 

Do I need to increase my tire pressure from the factory 35 PSI to 44 PSI or at least close to it while towing?  

Thank you for your help! 

It certainly wouldn't hurt anything to raise the PSI.  It will give you a minor stability boost and probably reduce tire ware, marginally. .  I run around 40psi in my P rated tires. 

PS - I think you should be more focused on the Load Range, not speed rating.  I doubt you have a tire on your truck that would limit your legal highway speed lol.

Regardless if your P, LT, or E load range, increasing the PSI while towing isn't a bad idea by any means.

Don't overthink it.  Towing is nothing new!!!

I leave my tires at 35 psi because that rating is good all the way up to GVWR.  I have never had any tow issues leaving them at 35 psi.  As far as what it says on the sidewall, that's the max the tire is rated for.  That tire is used on any number of applications by any number of manufacturers.  Every manufacturer determines what psi works best for each particular vehicle.  Way too many people think they can disregard the manufacturer's recommended psi because the sidewall has a higher rating.  That's not how it works.  As for your tongue weight, if your trailer weighs 6000 lbs, you can bet your tongue weight is a lot higher than 650 lbs.

• Like 2

Thanks Erik. That makes sense on manufacturers psi ratings for their vehicles. I also understand the tongue weight may be heavier as well. The travel trailer weight decal has that weight listed with the trailer empty but also with 2 full propane tanks. The added weight I'll see will come from a battery, and of course once we load the trailer with cargo etc. I'll certainly weigh everything to be sure. Thank you for mentioning that. 

16 hours ago, AlaskaErik said:

I leave my tires at 35 psi because that rating is good all the way up to GVWR.  I have never had any tow issues leaving them at 35 psi.  As far as what it says on the sidewall, that's the max the tire is rated for.  That tire is used on any number of applications by any number of manufacturers.  Every manufacturer determines what psi works best for each particular vehicle.  Way too many people think they can disregard the manufacturer's recommended psi because the sidewall has a higher rating.  That's not how it works.  As for your tongue weight, if your trailer weighs 6000 lbs, you can bet your tongue weight is a lot higher than 650 lbs.

X2

Just pulled about 5K trailer 2000 miles with 35PSI all around.......worked well and handled excellent. 

1) In general, the tire manufacturer doesn't know what load the tire will see when they manufacture a tire. 

2) All tires have a 'load vs inflation pressure' chart (sometimes they are difficult to find)

3) The pressures on the label in the truck are the pressures, from the load/inflation chart, for the tires installed on the vehicle when the vehicle is operating at the trucks maximum rated loads. (for the tire size and ply rating the truck was born with)

4) The max pressure printed on the tire is for the max rated load the tire is capable of -- and that load rating is higher than the trucks rating. 

5) Tires typically also have a max pressure - for seating beads. May be different than the max pressure when operating.

Too much pressure increases centre wear.

Too little pressure increases edge wear. 

Could get axle weights with it hooked up/loaded and use the chart.

https://tirepressure.com/lt-metric-tire-load-inflation-table